Backpack.tf Secret Santa Announcement 2019

HarryG

Welcome to the backpack.tf Secret Santa 2019 hosted by Ebeneezer Scrooge himself, HarryG! I have been given permission to run the Secret Santa again for backpack.tf and it's going to run fairly similarly, so here's the 2017 announcement almost verbatim:

BE CAREFUL OF IMPERSONATORS: I WILL NOT ADD ANYBODY UNTIL DECEMBER 1: CHECK THE PERSON'S INVENTORY (NOT THE ONE THEY LINK) AND IF THEY DO NOT HAVE COLLECTOR'S DEAD OF NIGHT, GOLDEN PAN OR IT IS PRIVATE FOR SOME REASON IT IS NOT ME 

-Lack of Cruel, Cold, and Confusing Nonsense
This year's Secret Santa will be fairly simple in terms of entering and gifting. Just comment on the Steam profile of HarryG (https://steamcommunity.com/id/redtextking , make sure you comment "Requesting addition to Secret Santa" or something similar or I won't know to add you to the event), and your name will be added to the list. After all matches have been decided by a randomized system (on the signup close date of December 1, but we will still remind you with an announcement), an announcement will be posted. Following this announcement, you must add HarryG so that he can provide you with the person you will give a gift to. IF YOU HAVE COMMENTED AND BEEN ADDED TO THE EVENT YOU MUST ADD ME AFTER THE ANNOUNCEMENT TO GET YOUR MATCH AND SEND A GIFT. IT DOESN'T WORK IF YOU DON'T DO THIS. After you have your match, just send your gift to HarryG by the deadline and all gifts will be delivered on Christmas Day! 

-Christmas Compassion
Gift not wrapped properly? Miscount the amount of days 'til that game is tradeable and the deadline is upon ye? No worries, this year we will personally examine each and every case to make sure you don't get trampled by the angry mom on Black Friday that is automation. Because hey, this is the season for love and care, and even if machines are great, they can miss a few things that the good 'ol human eye can pick up on.

-NO LUDICROUS GIFTS. Last year somebody tried to send me 300 crates and I had to spend 15 minutes explaining why 300 crates is not a good gift even if it is "a lot of stuff". Don't be this year's crate guy 

-Really Regal Rules and Restrictions
Nobody wants profound negativity creeping up on them in the holiday season! That's why there are some things that we will personally ensure that a grouchy Grinch gets the boot for in this event. Below are the following list of bannable offenses for this event:
-A current ban/caution tag on Steamrep or backpack.tf at the time of joining, no exceptions

-A current trade ban on Steam
-Outright refusal to give a gift. This will also ensure that said Grinch will not receive a gift and will be barred from all future Secret Santa events, instead that gift will be matched to the person that they stiffed. So don't bother!
-Being marked/banned on backpack.tf or Steamrep DURING the event. 

-Exceptional amounts of -trusts/-trusts with egregious offenses detailed within 

-The Possibility To Procure Positively Prominent and Potent Prizes
That's Correct! Amazing prizes to be had just for getting into the Christmas spirit!
Prize Categories Will Be-
Most Festive Gift
Most Fitting Gift
Funniest Gift

Good luck, Merry Christmas, and if you have any further questions, be sure to contact me (https://steamcommunity.com/id/redtextking)! Happy gifting! 

I AM NOT A MOD: Last time I ran this this came up so before I forget: I AM NOT A MOD. I am running the backpack.tf Secret Santa with mod approval; last year people kept asking me mod questions and there was even somebody who joined the event to see if I could unban him. I AM NOT A MOD.

• Teeny Tiny Cat pinned this topic
1 hour ago, roughnecks said:

Can someone please ELI5 what should I do/gift to join?

I'm Italian and I haven't understood well OP.

Thanks

En inglese: 

I have seen your comment and you are now in the event, on December 1 add me here https://steamcommunity.com/id/redtextking (or if you like I can add you on that day let me know which you would prefer) and I can explain more, but really all it is is that I give you the name of the person you get a gift for and you pick out some TF2 items as a gift

en italiano:

Ho visto il tuo commento e ora sei nell'evento, il 1 dicembre aggiungimi qui https://steamcommunity.com/id/redtextking (o se ti piace posso aggiungerti in quel giorno fammi sapere quale preferiresti) e posso spiegare di più, ma in realtà tutto ciò è che ti do il nome della persona per cui ricevi un regalo e scegli alcuni articoli TF2 come regalo.

Sounds good, i dont like much chating like in scrap events, so at least for me is much better to just check the profile and see what things can be interested to him/her.  

What kind of price range do people usually do for gifts for this? I don't wanna be a cheap ass nor do I want to expect to make my gift receiver angry if I don't spend $80 on a not-terrible unusual.

On 11/24/2019 at 1:59 PM, mike_ers said:

What kind of price range do people usually do for gifts for this? I don't wanna be a cheap ass nor do I want to expect to make my gift receiver angry if I don't spend $80 on a not-terrible unusual.

The only rule is don't be ridiculous? Like don't give like robo parts, 20 crates, or like a refined metal. Just make it within reason, I don't think anybody's expecting an 80 dollar item either.

On 11/24/2019 at 8:30 AM, Diamond jozu said:

i have no idea how this works but im just gonna try this. Merry Christmas good luck,everyone

On 11/24/2019 at 2:08 AM, puddingkip said:

You're not santa heavy 😠 but put me in coach

On 11/24/2019 at 1:29 AM, Knightfury69 said:

Im in bois

You three didn't comment in the right spot despite the bold italicized and underlined request to do so but I have added you all to the event. You're all in.

5 hours ago, HarryG said:

The only rule is don't be ridiculous? Like don't give like robo parts, 20 crates, or like a refined metal. Just make it within reason, I don't think anybody's expecting an 80 dollar item either.

You three didn't comment in the right spot despite the bold italicized and underlined request to do so but I have added you all to the event. You're all in.

my bad since timing region were different and i was asleep.

Signups are now over. Everybody who has joined must add me (HarryG) https://steamcommunity.com/id/redtextking to recieve the steam profile of the person they are going to give a gift to by December 10. They then need to send me the gift they are going to give that person by December 24. Please be wary of impersonators, the above steam link is the only profile I will be using for this event.

• 3 weeks later...

HARRY G BLOCKED ME 

I HAD AN AUTOTYPER ON WHILE FARMING IN A GAME

THEN I GOT A STEAM GROUP ANNOUNCEMENT AND IT EXITED MY GAME

THEN ALL THE TYPING WENT TO THE CHAT

GODAMMIT

5 hours ago, PurpleXD said:

HARRY G BLOCKED ME 

I HAD AN AUTOTYPER ON WHILE FARMING IN A GAME

THEN I GOT A STEAM GROUP ANNOUNCEMENT AND IT EXITED MY GAME

THEN ALL THE TYPING WENT TO THE CHAT

GODAMMIT

Hi PurpleXD. You sent a trade offer and 5 minutes after sending the offer started sending me "RT" at a rate of several times a second. I interpreted this to mean "retweet", as in, you were continuously repeating "retweet" to express you repeating your message, in an attempt to get me to accept the offer. Not knowing about this dilemma you seem to have inserted yourself into, I warned what I thought was you at the keyboard to stop sending "RT" multiple times threatening to remove you from the event. When what I thought was you at your keyboard continued to send "RT" repeatedly, I, at this point beleaguered and confused, removed you from my friends list and declared you were removed from the event. In spite of this, what I thought was you at the keyboard continued to send "RT" to me at which point I blocked you. I have added you back to the event and added you on Steam, as this explanation makes sense and seeing as how it now seems as if you were not, in fact, sending me hundreds of messages to get me to accept yout trade offer faster, there is no reason to remove you from the event anymore.

3 hours ago, HarryG said:

Hi PurpleXD. You sent a trade offer and 5 minutes after sending the offer started sending me "RT" at a rate of several times a second. I interpreted this to mean "retweet", as in, you were continuously repeating "retweet" to express you repeating your message, in an attempt to get me to accept the offer. Not knowing about this dilemma you seem to have inserted yourself into, I warned what I thought was you at the keyboard to stop sending "RT" multiple times threatening to remove you from the event. When what I thought was you at your keyboard continued to send "RT" repeatedly, I, at this point beleaguered and confused, removed you from my friends list and declared you were removed from the event. In spite of this, what I thought was you at the keyboard continued to send "RT" to me at which point I blocked you. I have added you back to the event and added you on Steam, as this explanation makes sense and seeing as how it now seems as if you were not, in fact, sending me hundreds of messages to get me to accept yout trade offer faster, there is no reason to remove you from the event anymore.

yeah i guess that would freak anyone out. RT is a combo of two moves in the game i was playing, and with those two moves i was farming npcs. Its just that for some reason steam group announcements exit me out of the game. This is usually fine, unless a chat box opens at the same time. Which is what happened here. Hell I was spamming that for more than an hour. Sorry for the confusion.

All trade offers have been sent out including prizes. Very few people did not give a gift so the event was overall a success (I believe 4 people grinched out of I think 65 entrants? Pretty good)

Prizes:

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198196862773 Won Funniest Gift through his gifting of 40 Ham Shanks to king of kfc Jamal

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198883615002 Won Most Fitting Gift with his Owl Set gifted to sanity

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198040186479 Won Most Festive Gift with his various candy canes and Blizzardy storm big elfin deal gifted to Pook.

Thanks for joining everybody

• Teeny Tiny Cat unpinned this topic

Archived