Add "This Item Is Potentially Worth More" or etc to spelled items

Slam

If it's possible to implement, it'd be pretty neat if there could be a tag/warning/whatever like with Craft #1-#100 items that tells you "This item is potentially worth more (Halloween Spells)" on all items on backpack.tf that have spells. Doesn't have to specify anything like pricing, just warn the user that the item is worth more than usual.

The idea would just be that some newbies to spell trading / trading in general might avoid sharking attempts if they saw that tag on the item and decided to research "how much are spells worth tf2?" or etc. Obviously a lot of sharking of spelled items are done to people so new to trading that they've never even logged in to backpack.tf and maybe just bought spelled items off the SCM years ago, but there's always the chance it'll save a few people from being sharked/screwed. (Though tbh if they already know about backpack.tf, there's a good chance they know about spelled item prices or bought a spelled item for a high price in the first place.) - It'd also make it a little easier to spot spelled items in the classifieds I suppose, but there's scripts for that already for the hardcore spell trading scene and most people specify the spells in the description.

There's already a big bold "Spells" before the spells are listed, but they don't tell the owner anything about how spells make items worth more. It can be inferred yeah, but considering "put your items into this bot account to check if they're legit I'm from steam so you have to." scams screw hundreds of people a year, it's safe to say there's plenty of people that trade/play this game that can fall for sharks saying "spells aren't worth anything man so gimme for low price."

Just a random thought

2 replies saying this has been suggested many times but I can't find any results about anyone suggesting this before on the forums - closest I found was this person bringing up in this thread and having no one mention it again in said thread.

I searched all the way back to 2015 threads in this section of the forum, google searched some keywords with backpack.tf, and used the forum search (altho that is either all or nothing with search terms which is why I went to google).

There is one suggestion in the issue tracker here but has been dead for 3 years so please, if this has been suggested too many times before point me to the threads because I don't see them. It's a good idea and both the replies shooting it down offer no reason other than "already suggested" which appears false.

4 hours ago, FP jh34ghu43gu said:

2 replies saying this has been suggested many times but I can't find any results about anyone suggesting this before on the forums - closest I found was this person bringing up in this thread and having no one mention it again in said thread.

I searched all the way back to 2015 threads in this section of the forum, google searched some keywords with backpack.tf, and used the forum search (altho that is either all or nothing with search terms which is why I went to google).

There is one suggestion in the issue tracker here but has been dead for 3 years so please, if this has been suggested too many times before point me to the threads because I don't see them. It's a good idea and both the replies shooting it down offer no reason other than "already suggested" which appears false.

Could have been suggested on the discord or just directly to bp.tf staff before, but then that's literally 1 person at a time voicing it and not 1 person voicing it publicly on the forums with 15 and counting upvotes in support of the idea.

10 hours ago, FP jh34ghu43gu said:

hmm maybe, perhaps, its just like the "epstein didn't kill himself" issue. People in position of power censor things that expose them. Just a thought...

In light of marketplace.tf allowing you to filter by spells and the increasing awareness of the community about spelled items, I think this is a good idea. At the very least it will help to address some of the sharking that goes on in the spell community, and it seems like something that could applied pretty easily. 

Archived