pricing for warpaint weapons is long overdue

{Filet}

do you agree with this?   

30 members have voted

1. 1. We need pricing for warpaint weapons, it's been way too long

• Yay
    • Nay

Warpaint weapons have been around a very long time and have proven themselves to be highly worthwhile investments, generally quadrupling their values since Jungle Inferno ended as a base gain. 
Why is it that backpack.tf still lacks basic valuation for these items when there are so many readily available referent values? 

We have the SCM values, we have the warpaint values themselves, and we have the values of component parts. Why hasn't a pricing method been added to this site? 
Even if it's a bit haphazard at first, it would get the ball rolling on proper pricing for these weapons. 

I think more important would be improving ease of finding listings for skinned weapons/paints
As it is now it's not exactly simple or clear how to work the filters to find what you want if you don't already know how to

it took i think 6-7 months before halloween 2018 war paints could even be searchable on backpack.tf

answer is that backpacktf doesn’t care about skins as much

which is sad but as a skin suggester i feel it in my heart

Probably because there's just way too many of them, and the vast majority aren't valuable enough to bother giving a fixed price. There's what, something like 60 weapons you can craft paints into? SCM histories and common sense should really be enough for most skins.

I think they should all just be based off the base warpaint sale + effect and you reduce a certain amount based on what weapon it is.

And if there isn't any history for the warpaint sales, you just base it off the sales of the weapons and create the price for the war paint itself based on those sales.

So like generally stock weapons tend to sell faster than community weapons so something like this:

Minigun/Shotgun/RL/Scatter (Warpaint Price x .9)

Mackerel/Persian/etc. (Warpaint Price x .7)

1 hour ago, Henchman 21 said:

I think they should all just be based off the base warpaint sale + effect and you reduce a certain amount based on what weapon it is.

And if there isn't any history for the warpaint sales, you just base it off the sales of the weapons and create the price for the war paint itself based on those sales.

So like generally stock weapons tend to sell faster than community weapons so something like this:

Minigun/Shotgun/RL/Scatter (Warpaint Price x .9)

Mackerel/Persian/etc. (Warpaint Price x .7)

While I agree with the base idea of this, the catch with that is some paints will suit some weapons better than others. Obvious example if it's a hot paint it's fair to expect it to sell for a bit more than the same paint but cool when applied to a flamethrower. So the price drop on applied paints can vary not just how well the weapon itself sells but how the effect/paint fits with the weapon

Far too many variables in war paints for there to be some sort of automated system that would actually work well, just too many people out there who see the price suggestion as the actual price for it to be viable

An item can only be priced if a sale is occurred... If an item has no price then it simply means that people haven't searched that item to make a price or a sale hasn't occurred.

The price you see on bp.tf is by people who found the sales and make the suggestion in order to get a price, not the website itself

Another thing about skinned weapons is that bp.tf only makes pricing suggestions on those that are 10 keys+. Those below than 10 keys will not be accepted. Why is that? Well skinned weapons are always changing their price from the Steam Community Market hence making constant changes and sometimes being manipulated

The problem for skins and warpaints is this: there's too many of them selling at too many different prices for any real value to be given to 95% of them. There isn't much of a point in putting in the hours upon hours of work just to price Civic Duty Mk.II Air Strike (Field-Tested) and etc. Just think of it this way:

There's 67(give or take a couple) war paints that can be applied to all warpaint-available weapons. There are 45 weapons that can have war paints applied to them. So if we multiply 67 by 45, you have 3,015 total skins in the game not including Dragon Slayer and non-warpaint skins. Every single one of those has 5 wears, so multiply that by 5. You're up to 15,075. Multiply THAT by 2 to account for all strange variants, and you've got over 30,000 different prices being needed to price all skins and their variants, and again, that's not including the extra one or two thousand from non-warpaint skins, thousands of Unusual skins, etc.

For high-volume, high-supply skins, there is zero point in trying to make price suggestions because their prices fluctuate too much for it to be worth keeping up with several thousand suggestions. Of course, bp.tf already knows this, which is why they have a minimum value for skins to be suggested.

Personally what I think should happen if people really, really wanna get war paints priced is that we price the un-used war paints (the actual tool) and let people judge the value of their weapons based on the weapon's desirability.... but then you're going to get idiots pricing Detonators the same as Rocket Launchers. Still a neat thought though, even if that's still going to be what? 670 suggestions total not including unusual variants?

Archived