Which items could be duped ?

Wsdea

Hey guys, 

I would like to understand more about duped items. My question is :

Given the item name, quality, effect, etc (anything BUT history), is there a way to tell if duplicated versions of it exist or can exist ?

Forgive me I was not there back then when it happened.

Thanks

You have to check the item’s history

you tap on an item in someone’s backpack or on their sell order, and tap “history”

real talk, people will use this as an excuse to get you to lower the price

people who do this, are scumbags, do not accept their shitty shark offers

2 minutes ago, Infernape said:

you tap on an item in someone’s backpack or on their sell order, and tap “history”

real talk, people will use this as an excuse to get you to lower the price

people who do this, are scumbags, do not accept their shitty shark offers

that's not what i'm asking, I know how to check if an item is duped

Any item that was released after steam stopped duping items cannot be duped, otherwise they can be. Basically all items from cases can't be duped except for a few, but there are very, very few of them in existence. If someone is offering me case hats I dont even bother checking for dupes.

9 minutes ago, Xergoyf said:

Any item that was released after steam stopped duping items cannot be duped, otherwise they can be. Basically all items from cases can't be duped except for a few, but there are very, very few of them in existence. If someone is offering me case hats I dont even bother checking for dupes.

Thanks for your reply, so that means that every items from crates can potentially be duped ?

59 minutes ago, Wsdea said:

Hey guys, 

I would like to understand more about duped items. My question is :

Given the item name, quality, effect, etc (anything BUT history), is there a way to tell if duplicated versions of it exist or can exist ?

Forgive me I was not there back then when it happened.

Thanks

Why are you asking this question, literally just check the history, there's no other way to tell

Some items with grades like from the Invasion crates were even duped so its best to just check the history

47 minutes ago, Badhitreg said:

Why are you asking this question, literally just check the history, there's no other way to tell

Some items with grades like from the Invasion crates were even duped so its best to just check the history

Curiosity

like other said,it can be any items.unique items,unusuals,australiums or others as long it was scammed and valve gave back items to victims if valve is unable to make reverse trades from scammers to their victims.this method was like many years ago but i believe it was RE-USED AGAIN i think last year when there was a new scam called  'fake item thumbnail' which included a cheap game that had item drop and can make the items look like identical to it. Since this was unexpected, valve felt it was their fault for not expecting such scam and thus did have to give the victims their items they got scammed from

4 hours ago, Xergoyf said:

As said, you are(sort of) wrong.

2 hours ago, Diamond jozu said:

like other said,it can be any items.unique items,unusuals,australiums or others as long it was scammed and valve gave back items to victims if valve is unable to make reverse trades from scammers to their victims.this method was like many years ago but i believe it was RE-USED AGAIN i think last year when there was a new scam called  'fake item thumbnail' which included a cheap game that had item drop and can make the items look like identical to it. Since this was unexpected, valve felt it was their fault for not expecting such scam and thus did have to give the victims their items they got scammed from

If it's from Halloween/Smissmiss the past 2 years or the summer 2019 it won't be duped otherwise anything else can be.

Duped items typically effect high tier item prices where one was mass duped and there are just a few clean ones (vintage buds, burning TC, vintage max etc) where the duped ones typically sell for half OR some collectors will pay more for a rare duped item (duped shovel and me with duped handshakes). Anything in between, duped shouldn't effect the price and anyone who claims otherwise is just after profit. I believe the common "it's duped so worth less" comes from a fear that duped items would be removed but it's safe to say valve isn't going to be doing that after 10+ years of not.

An item is duped when valve restores inventory (or through a bug, I think i remember hearing about a few items duped through in game methods, if it existed it is patched) but they stopped doing so after 2-factor-auth was added except for rare cases where it was their fault such as the malicious game icons scam. You can guess if an item is duped based on it's origin - if it's support granted and it's not an item normally given out manually then it probably is duped. (Some exceptions would be the people who got 1 of every item/self mades).

Some items are duped but you can't tell because backpack uses item id's to determine if an item is duped. (I wrote all this out then clicked the little "what does this mean" button on the duped item tag and am not entirely sure if it's correct, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I see they use timestamps to help which might make the following situation not be true but idk - this is how I figured they knew from like 3 years ago.)

Example situation of a duped item that won't get marked: I get item id 2000 but my backpack is never loaded into the backpack database. I got hijacked, all my items are sent to some other account which valve catches and trade bans said account so they private it and vanish - this backpack is also never logged in the database. I get my items back with all their original id's so my item with an original id of 2000 is now duped because there is one in the locked account and one in mine. I load my backpack on backpack.tf and my items get put into the database but will not get marked duped because it's the only time that original id has been logged.

Example situation of a duped item getting marked: I get item id 3000 and same situation happens except this time me and the locked account have our items logged in the database where I get my item logged as id 3000 and the scammer gets the item logged with a new id, say 3003. Steam then restores my item with id 3000 and backpack stores that, realizes item id's should be in order but it's not and flags it as duped - possible example pic here.

Generally speaking, anything with a grade isn't gonna be duped. There's a few, but they're a minority in the sea of 'em out there. If my brain's working, it was around Invasion they stopped duping stuff? Anything JI and after wouldn't be duped no matter what, to the best of my knowledge.

Basically, anything worth more than like, 20 keys, that doesn't have a dual quality, (i.e base/grade), is worth checking. Anything else, meh.

1 hour ago, Norah said:

Generally speaking, anything with a grade isn't gonna be duped. There's a few, but they're a minority in the sea of 'em out there. If my brain's working, it was around Invasion they stopped duping stuff? Anything JI and after wouldn't be duped no matter what, to the best of my knowledge.

Basically, anything worth more than like, 20 keys, that doesn't have a dual quality, (i.e base/grade), is worth checking. Anything else, meh.

I think so, yeah.

Though I myself know of a duped Corona Australis.

To strictly answer the question 

No. Every and any item in game COULD have a dupe since they could simply copy every and any existing item and make another version of it.

Since that's all a dupe really is, a duplicate.

Not saying a dupe of everything exists obviously, but that wasn't your very specific question.

17 hours ago, Wsdea said:

Nothing about the item name, quality, or effect will tell you if an item is duped.

Items were duped when people were scammed and versions of the items were restored by Steam Support, or less frequently via some sort of exploit.

This can effect any and every single tradable item in the game; from Scrap Metal to high tier Unusuals.

Valve officially ceased restoring stolen items in mid-2015 before the Gun Mettle Update. HOWEVER in mid-2018 due to the fake items scam, Valve temporarily allowed people effected by the scam to have their items back creating dupes of post-Gun Mettle items. In other words; the only items that can't be duped are Scream Fortress 2018, Smissmas 2018, Summer 2019, and Scream Fortress 2019 items. That's it, everything else could possibly be duped and the only way to tell is to check the history.

16 hours ago, Wsdea said:
16 hours ago, Infernape said:

that's not what i'm asking, I know how to check if an item is duped

That is how you check if an item is duped.

It's very rare to be able to tell without history; you'd need a very obvious identifier and concrete proof that there's two of the item: two examples are the duped Collector's Rogue Col Roule (rare collector's cosmetic with the same level is pretty likely to be duped considering Collector's quality when crafted can be any level 1-100 randomly) and the #42 Team Captain of which there is two (for obvious reasons if there is two of the same craft number you can tell at a glance)

Archived