My fear about Unusual prices

Zalkarmus

So here's the deal. Essentially, Sunbeams, Burning and Scorching are in a tough spot. They're valueless in high level trading because everyone wants Halloweens. There's no way to get a foot in the door because these effects are too highly-priced for new traders, and too low-valued by high-level traders. They look like they have monetary value, but they are not tradeable. Something has to be done about the Halloween effects stifling the market. Good job TF2 H'ween meme traders.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we multiplied the number of sellers and buyers on every hat by a thousand, this perceived issue would instantly resolve itself

But TF2 is a miniscule and inefficient market, a single buyer or seller can effectively choose their own price instead of being dictated by competition. This is just a natural result of that, not going to change

Don't worry though, there's an increasingly shrinking pool of actual buyers for stuff in general, Gen 3's were only stage 1 in showing this. Just know that there's some unknown expiration date on the whole circus, but take advantage of it while it lasts

Bro there's nothing wrong with what's going on. It sounds like you are upset cuz a hat you wanted was listed at a ridiculous price or owners refused to sell as they were collectors items.
Whatever it is just because something upsets you doesn't mean it's broken/wrong or needs fixing. You said "They are essentially worthless Unusuals because they are TOO rare and TOO costly".

That's like saying precious metals are essentially worthless because they are rare and expensive. Being rare and in demand is what makes something valuable. 

I don't think anything needs fixing with the Halloween effect prices. If you think they're worth too much stay away from them. 
If you think 1st gens are worth more than what they're trading for right now, hoard them and you can laugh at all the Halloween traders/collectors when the bubble bursts and you're proven right.

• 11 months later...
On 11/3/2019 at 5:08 AM, FLAIMBOT_ said:

I'd just like to say that I am very proud of the fact that I was one of the early comers to this "HWEENS ARE GOING UP" hoarding and upselling tactic.

I bought a spellbound antlers for 600 keys and sold them for 1450. Not to claim credit for this method of profitting, but it seems that after I made that sale and the price suggestion was accepted, a lot of other high tier halloween owners started to follow. then before you know it the whole community was in on it. Im sure I wasnt the first but I do feel like my sale all those years ago had a big effect on the spellbound market which had to have effected the halloween market in some way.

But tbh this entire community's price is ONLY DRIVEN BY WHAT PEOPLE ARE WILLING TO PAY FOR ITEMS. So if people are willing to drop 300 keys on a mediocre halloween hat, sorry dude, but thats just the way it works.

But hey-

Dont worry..

Valve is bound to fuck up and re-release old effects eventually! Thats just how they roll 😎

Wow, and to think that 600 keys or even 1450 keys for Spellbound Antlers today would be fucking ROBBERY.

Archived