Are crate depression unusuals, including high tiers, worth much less and harder to sell?

aSmallGreenDot

Crate depression origin will be used to lowball, so it is probably best to steer clear of crate depression hats unless they are very rare and not present on the market.

The 'crate depression' label truly means nothing. It's still all about supply and demand. It actually added a good few hat/effect combos that didn't exist before or at least were off the market for years.

Like dirty histories and duped hats, crate depression is nothing more than an excuse for buyers to pay less. I hate it and have never agreed with identifying as such, but whatever. Have to play along so you don't get burned.

26 minutes ago, han singular said:

Crate depression origin will be used to lowball, so it is probably best to steer clear of crate depression hats unless they are very rare and not present on the market.

The 'crate depression' label truly means nothing. It's still all about supply and demand. It actually added a good few hat/effect combos that didn't exist before or at least were off the market for years.

Like dirty histories and duped hats, crate depression is nothing more than an excuse for buyers to pay less. I hate it and have never agreed with identifying as such, but whatever. Have to play along so you don't get burned.

Snort, That hat’s duped so aktchually its 90% off snort

6 hours ago, han singular said:

I mean, markets for even RETIRED hats like the Mask of the Shaman and the Team Captain were fucked over because of this shit. There's a good reason why there's a sentiment still, although I feel like at this point it's pretty irrelevant

14 hours ago, Badhitreg said:

I mean, markets for even RETIRED hats like the Mask of the Shaman and the Team Captain were fucked over because of this shit. There's a good reason why there's a sentiment still, although I feel like at this point it's pretty irrelevant

TC isnt retired

On 10/20/2019 at 4:17 PM, Badhitreg said:

Shaman market has always been extremely limited. 

TC’s crashed with the multi crates, not the depression. 

3 hours ago, han singular said:

Shaman market has always been extremely limited. 

TC’s crashed with the multi crates, not the depression. 

Shaman market has been limited BEFORE they were reintroduced. Now some newer ones have been taken off the market but in the beginning the market was flooded.

7 minutes ago, Badhitreg said:

Shaman market has been limited BEFORE they were reintroduced. Now some newer ones have been taken off the market but in the beginning the market was flooded.

By limited market I'm not talking about the # of Shaman's available. I'm talking about the # of interested buyers. 

The shaman is hurting partially because of a lack of availability of nicer effects over the years. Something like 90% of the nice effects are locked up for the foreseeable future. This hasn't boosted their image/value. It's only made people forget they exist because there are no images at all!! 

What remains is the unfortunate choice for lower end traders. Do I want to buy a low tier effect on an ugly hat, or for the same price do I want a high-god tier effect on a much better looking hat? Most would choose the latter. And with this decision, the price of the low tier ugly hat only decreases as it sits unsold. 

A unique and unfortunate instance, but we cant single out the depression. The lower tiers dropping shouldn't effect the higher tier effects much. At least not until we see them on the market again and shit happens. 

As the seller of the Purple Energy Shaman the price is reflected off of, I can say nobody offered me anything close to what the buyer paid. The buyer bought a 1 of 1 PE Shaman and they were a PE Demo hat collector. Worked out perfectly for both sides. Now we're just going to see a more realistic market take shape, though being there are 2 available, it might take a bigger hit than we'd like. 

The threat of a 100% unusual crate as a $100 cash grab or a bug hit me a few years ago when I wanted to start a collection. That's why I chose effects exclusively from the worst crates in history! My 1 of 1 Anti-freeze Shaman is hopefully Valve-proof!

it's almost as if most Unusual hats didn't have any real end buyers and are propped up on speculation, and suddenly jolting the market with another 5 of each hat destroys their liquidity by scaring off the speculators

When you're selling an unusual from the Crate Depression, the only time someone's going to bug you about it being from that event is when you're dealing with someone that wants to try to get you to lower your price. "Ah, it's from the crate depression, sorry drop 5 keys from your price and it's a deal but good luck getting that deal elsewhere! Heh." and the like. But 99% of people aren't going to try that because they know they'll just look like an idiot.

It'd be silly anyways for more than a couple scumbags to care about it, considering that you can only go off the item's history to tell if it's from the Crate Depression or not, in which case I'm willing to bet a ton of them have histories that start in August or September either due to not showing up on bp.tf because they became untradable + uncraftable before being scanned on the site, or because they were in private inventories until after the Crate Depression ended.

Archived