Can't turn on with given graphics card to new one, maybe upgrading too

HubertSuo

It's basically not mines, but the same friend who seems to nitpick stuff with computers he's not specialized in every time you see forum out of me.

I've been away from games for a while so I gave him my mini Gigabyte Nvidia 8gb 1070 to his budget already built PC for an upgrade (maybe) as a start. Here are his specs of his pre-built:

• Dell Inspiron Gaming Desktop 5680, 
  • Intel® Core™ i7-8700
  • NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060
  • 16GB M.2 PCIe Intel® Optane™ Memory + 1TB HDD
  • 16GB RAM
  • i5680-7535BLU-PUS

However, my graphics card doesn't start up on his PC. It turns on with the fans running a few sec then it stops. Everything is connected properly. All six pins are in the graphics card. It was able to run at one point when it's all new and factory reset, but if you were to install the appropriate driver from the website and you reset, it won't run at all. If used (like all programs installed etc), it won't boot the computer up. He's wondering does he have to go into BIOS or something for it to work? With the 1060 up, he can't by-pass updating the driver higher than that. My graphics card still works on my old PC.  Any tips would be great. He's been at it for a while but time to time he would load back his 1060 and play his game.

Also, he's looking to upgrade this on his next paycheck. Again, this guy spends time on FFXIV and modding involving 3DS Max/any format to 3D. He only got this computer fast because it was on discount ($700 back then, now $1200) and decided to poke it for a while. With the current build, he knows what he has now won't give him max frames. He hopes he can get some suggestions with using my graphics card for it to work, otherwise he's open about getting new one if you believe mines feel like mines is incompatible.

Sorry with so many spam topics about this and that from me, I promise this is the thing you'll see out of me. 😧

=========================

EDIT AS OF 9-22-19

Sorry it's taking a while to respond back, I did pass the message to him in hope did either the two works:
1) Bio update

2) Re-verify the PSU Watt.

I haven't heard anything from him these past few days but I promise to update you folks the possibility on his end with a new post! Post more of your possibility doubts and I'll have him re-check everything.

ask dell or check forums. as a preference i dont approve ready to use computers due to upgrade problems or just a myth for me idk.

https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron-Desktops/Inspiron-5680-GPU-upgrade/td-p/7252255

bios update as bonsai suggested.

before trying that;

make sure every pins are tight are connected correctly.

make sure your power supply can handle gtx 1070 among with other equipment.

if you have a different connection cables and monitor, try them. also try different cables with different inputs-outputs, like dvi, hdmi etc. 

unplug-disable extras like that 1tb hdd store, maybe a tv card or something that is not essential to operate your computer. 

try different gpu slots of your motherboard (if it has more than one).

if rams are 2x8, try using 1x8 by using different ram slots.

One vital piece of information missing is the PSU Wattage. If its 500 then that is your issue,  The graphics card you hvae would of tipped it over the edge and would therefore not boot up properly. Also if it was your graphics card have you also given him the 6 or 8 pin connectors that usually have there own designated modular slot on the PSU.

• 2 weeks later...

So he just got back to me today:

He literally factory reset his computer to test this as-if new (and other reasons, his computer started to freak out). He tested both the current power supply, his and mine. This was the results:

He said that they both resulted able to operate the same PSU watt, however the graphics card STOPPED working after updating the Nvidia drivers. After completing the updates (bios, windows, nvidia), it literally worked after 2-3 resets then it stop. He made sure everything is 100% plugged in.

Other information:

His PCI-E has 8 pins that are compatible to insert both mines (6 pins) and his old GPU (4 pins). My power supply is Cosair CX750M

His PSU watt, from the look of it, is Dell 460w and he has a Nvidia Geforce 3gb.

Despite of uninstalling Nvidia drivers, my graphic card won't run anymore. I think it took him at least a whole day or two for to start able to be seen before it decides to 'hibernate' again.

As of now, he kept on the cosair psu + his 3gb to get things working.

Any suggestions? I don't really know is it his motherboard that is faulty at this case. My graphics card, again, works on my old PC that I had it on 100% without a fail. ><; 

Is it just not compatible? 

Archived