Is it better to hoard Ref or keys?

videorfeak

I like to play TF2 religiously for a few months before taking extended break from the game, 6Mo-1year. Due to the flux is price of keys would I be better hoarding keys spending all my ref, or turning all my keys into ref before going on an extended vacation? 

There are more worthwhile items to hoard than just baseline currencies that don't move in value by any significant degree (barring some earth-shattering event). Out of the 2, I'd be saying keys since you won't take up an entire page to store 2 dollars, but you really ought to look into hoarding the more valuable cosmetic cases instead for Halloween.

• Administrators

Buy Keys when they cost a low amount of Refined and sell Keys when they cost a high amount of Refined.

1 hour ago, Keks said:

unlike keys and ref, real life currency will not degrade in value. try hoarding that

well it all depends which country currency you live in.

to answer this question by OP,invest in keys.

if you get refs,its gonna be a trouble for you to trade ref for keys as price may go up.might as well get keys.

when you do buy keys,get them at mp.tf

I'd sell my keys and put the money in a high-interest savings account if you need liquidity, or buy some sort of guaranteed investment certificate if you don't. You'll probably do better over the year. It's easy to buy keys again when you return to the game.

2 hours ago, Zytoep said:

tf2 is gonna be dead in a couple years so it’s not smart to invest in anything related to the game

Only been hearing that for the last half dozen years.

Keys always dip in price around christmas/halloween/summer sale so if you buy in at any of those times it might be worth it to hoard them at that point but ref is always losing value due to how much is constantly coming in and the lack of it going away so defiantly not that (My alt has 400 ref in it and has lost ~$30 in value because of it over the course of a year). Of course like others have said real life savings will be better for you, either a normal bank savings account of 1.9% or a 6 month 2.3% CD (these are low risk examples, you could do higher risk investments too) will beat tf2 keys stagnate (if not slight decline in) price.

Wow everyone I thank you for your responses, to clarify I do not intend to spend money on ref or keys as an investment; I simply meant should I trade my ref for keys or my keys for ref when I go on extended breaks so that I don't lose value.  But again thank you for your advice and considerations.

Longest thread I've seen for someone answering their own question!

Hoarding literally is storing a big pile of valuable items.

TF2 Valuable Item Guide

Keys  = Goldbars

Refined = MySpace Stocks

Craft hats = Newspapers and bottles of urine

Archived