The Scream Fortress XI predictions

Shinden

What do you guys think about that update?

Will it be like every previous updates(new unusals and hats) or smt more interesting?

PS:Is it worth buying unusalfier now or when SF XI will begin?

Most likely:

• Return of scream fortress maps in the casual map pool

• New Case with new cosmetics

• New Taunts

• New Effects (hats and taunts)

• Bug fixes, localization of files

What people hope for but know inside probably won't get:

• Return of spells (not older, already existing ones)

• New weapon effects

• Heavy Update bundled with it, similar to Jungle Inferno

• Rebalances

Most likely:

• Return of scream fortress maps in the casual map pool

• New Case with new cosmetics

• New Taunts

• New Effects (hats and taunts)

• Bug fixes, localization of files

What people hope for but inside know probably won't get:

• Return of spells (not older, already existing ones)

• New weapon effects

• Heavy Update bundled with it, similar to Jungle Inferno

• Rebalances

7 minutes ago, j58 said:

Why return of spells

Cause why the hell not? Has Valve ever done anything specifically to benefit the trade community? Fudge the traders, bring back spells

Just now, Reno said:

Cause why the hell not? Has Valve ever done anything specifically to benefit the trade community? Fudge the traders, bring back spells

If I recall, the issue wasn't the trade aspect of spells and more so the coding of the spells which was why they were removed to begin with and will never see a release again until it can be addressed. 12 year old potato code does that.

Probably

One new recolored case with community hats from random themes.  (Assassin/Elite grade must be shit)

Some new maps from community.

2 taunts, maybe from Valve

Case with decent war paints.

Community halloween unusual effects, but only from cases. Because Valve hate crates.

And +30k Players

We NEED new effects available on crates, no buts. It was bullshit that we couldn't get effects like omniscient and Galactic Gateway and shit on the best hats, the normal ones. No case-only bullshiet.

My predction is: New case with hats, new case with ugly warpaints. Maybe 2 or 3 maps made from the comunitty (pretty cool). And the same contracts and maps that we got every year beacuse they dont even try something new.

3 hours ago, Rainy Day said:

If I recall, the issue wasn't the trade aspect of spells and more so the coding of the spells which was why they were removed to begin with and will never see a release again until it can be addressed. 12 year old potato code does that.

I think that was a reason from the past. If that was still a big issue, they would have removed all the existing applied spells. But the most recent reason, dating back to 2014 was farming:

http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=14798

So they removed the halloween gifts in general. Not that there isn't a fix for farming (get gifts only on Valve servers), but why should they make such "huge" effort to replace the gargoyle back with gifts, when they could use false arguments (While some farming accounts claimed more than five hundred gifts just last year) against bringing them back?

Also, will we even have a casual Halloween Event this year? I thought they said there will only be a competitive event, coming early:

http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=53279

1 hour ago, shadyfan said:

I think that was a reason from the past. If that was still a big issue, they would have removed all the existing applied spells. But the most recent reason, dating back to 2014 was farming:

http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=14798

So they removed the halloween gifts in general. Not that there isn't a fix for farming (get gifts only on Valve servers), but why should they make such "huge" effort to replace the gargoyle back with gifts, when they could use false arguments (While some farming accounts claimed more than five hundred gifts just last year) against bringing them back?

Also, will we even have a casual Halloween Event this year? I thought they said there will only be a competitive event, coming early:

http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=53279

Spell drops: Fact of the matter is you where never supposed to have your spell applied after the event ended; they were supposed to expire which they attempted to patch out a few times now but again, spaghetti code. Halloween "gifts" more to to the unique hat drops that were actually trade-able such as the Spooky Sleeves and the like which did not expire was the issue. So you can see they revamped the gifting system but the fact of the matter remains they will not release spells if at all in the future.

Also, TF2wiki- Since Scream Fortress 2015, Halloween spells were not acquirable, as Haunted Halloween Gifts were replaced with the Soul Gargoyle, which did not distribute spells. Shortly after that the Tough Break Update made Halloween spells untradable as an undocumented change, thus removing the loophole of applying any previously existing Halloween Spells. (Spells are supposed to expire after the update indicated by the expiration date located at the bottom of the item page and they did, except for spells applied after the event ended the TF2 item server didn't update your inventory until you logged into team fortess to remove it. So, you could have an account who owned the spell but did not log into TF2 trade an expired item to someone already playing the game which broke the 'expired' tag. Hence the bug to begin with as you could keep the spell applied to items after the event.)

If you read the fix you stated it was addressed in the notes you've just linked... " some players spent more and more time focusing on gifts, often to the detriment of the players they were playing with." I wouldn't call it a fix if every casual server I joined was all idle bots. I have to deal with the occasional script kitty but if it was that combined with just and idle server there is literally no point in playing casual mode during the update. Letting players idle on the community servers opposed to doing it on the dedicated servers is a lesser of the two so I also agree with: " Ordinarily we don't mind if players do things that we don't personally enjoy as long as their fun doesn't harm the quality of experience for other players."

7 hours ago, Rainy Day said:

Spell drops: Fact of the matter is you where never supposed to have your spell applied after the event ended; they were supposed to expire which they attempted to patch out a few times now but again, spaghetti code. Halloween "gifts" more to to the unique hat drops that were actually trade-able such as the Spooky Sleeves and the like which did not expire was the issue. So you can see they revamped the gifting system but the fact of the matter remains they will not release spells if at all in the future.

Also, TF2wiki- Since Scream Fortress 2015, Halloween spells were not acquirable, as Haunted Halloween Gifts were replaced with the Soul Gargoyle, which did not distribute spells. Shortly after that the Tough Break Update made Halloween spells untradable as an undocumented change, thus removing the loophole of applying any previously existing Halloween Spells. (Spells are supposed to expire after the update indicated by the expiration date located at the bottom of the item page and they did, except for spells applied after the event ended the TF2 item server didn't update your inventory until you logged into team fortess to remove it. So, you could have an account who owned the spell but did not log into TF2 trade an expired item to someone already playing the game which broke the 'expired' tag. Hence the bug to begin with as you could keep the spell applied to items after the event.)

If you read the fix you stated it was addressed in the notes you've just linked... " some players spent more and more time focusing on gifts, often to the detriment of the players they were playing with." I wouldn't call it a fix if every casual server I joined was all idle bots. I have to deal with the occasional script kitty but if it was that combined with just and idle server there is literally no point in playing casual mode during the update. Letting players idle on the community servers opposed to doing it on the dedicated servers is a lesser of the two so I also agree with: " Ordinarily we don't mind if players do things that we don't personally enjoy as long as their fun doesn't harm the quality of experience for other players."

Yes, spells were supposed to expire, but I think in the last 2 events (when halloween gifts were still dropping), they decided to not attempt to remove the already applied ones. And yes, I know about the glitch with the unused spell tools. But I don't think they revamped the system because of the halloween cosmetics. Don't think a lot of people cared about them, as selling spells on market was giving the farmers huge profit. Or they decided to keep them in inventories and not open the game, just predicting there would be no more halloween spells.

I understand your concern about gameplay, but everyone should be able to decide for themselves what they like most in the event. I would personally go for the gift only and leave, if I don't have time to play the game. Otherwise I'll get the gift and finish the game. And I personally don't like playing the same boring contracts every halloween or collecting some virtual souls from gargoyles.

the best guarantees that is 99.9% that will come out is:

-Remake maps into halloween version

-New case cosmetics and weapon war paints

-New taunts

the ones that can come out but not with a high% that will be released are:

-new halloween maps 

-new halloween effect(i think 2 years ago they didnt release new ones but gave out old ones to be unboxable on cases cosmetics for hats)

what im hoping that valve could add is :

- new event 

-new boss

-new unusual weapon drops either default or halloween-themed type(its been way too fricking long since they updated unusual effects apart from taking out one)

I am predicting what will happen to be what I personally want most or would profit most from without any consideration of what the most realistic outcome is, while citing non-existent evidence of Valve's apparent pledges to not re-add effects and spells.

Realistically, it's going to be a few new maps, another cosmetic case with some subset of previous Halloween effects re-applied to every cosmetic case and a few new costumes as bonuses. Good chance of another War Paint Case. If we're lucky, new weapon effect (just since Valve probably took notice of the extreme span of time where they haven't touched their drop list), new taunt effects, or new hat effects. Ultra-lucky, all of the above.

Moonshot possibilities (that Valve may have in their back pocket, not necessarily on this update):

-Re-add some version of spells without attempting any of that expiration date stuff (since countless exploits and workarounds make it pointless to try) and basically make them the Halloween equivalent of Festivizers (always unboxable from the year's cosmetic case? and appliable whenever, just that the spell effect is still event-restricted)

-Massive expansion of the list of war paintable weapons (AWPER HAND)

-Some rework of the costume recycling system involving contracts or something idk

And before the hoarders scream that spells re-added would DESTROY A BUS FULL OF TF2 TRADERS WITH SATURATION, Valve is probably very cognizant of that fact and likely would set a drop rate on each one accordingly (you can engineer any market price you want by silently tweaking the drop rate). That 1 of 1 Chromatic Cats or whatever would probably mostly die, but a lot of the affordable spelled hats would likely be well below the bottle's price point (assuming Valve is protectionist) and be largely unaffected.

Based on the previous scream fortress, it's usually 2 new taunts, 2-5 new Halloween 'themed' maps (may be reskins of old maps), 20-24 new cosmetics and new unusual effects.  Just last year, they added Halloween 'themed' war paints.  If that is the trend, then another new Halloween 'themed' war paint will come out.

If it's new Halloween unusual effects, then it would universal to all other cases like 2018. 

I hope they add all other Halloween unusual effects to all cases like 2017.

Such as Bonzo Bread head or Cloudy moon Texas toast.

Archived