New bots auto buy items from you if you set price too low by accident in classifieds

Edvis_Knife

Hello, I just want to warn you about bots which auto buy items relisted too low... Today i tried to lower my strange eternal reward by 1 reclaimed and by accident i listed it for 3 ref instead of 39 ref. I am using auto bot so anyone could have insta bought it from me for 3 ref... But i noticed my mistake in like a minute. After another minute I checked my trade offers and there was a bot trying to buy my item for 3 ref. This is not a human for sure just by looking at steam profile and his backpack. I would like to warn you all to not rush list item... It can be accident and you will lose value. Bot steam profile is here https://steamcommunity.com/id/tradingexpress1 

Share your thoughts on this here, I am interested to see if anyone actually lost anything by listing item for sale for too low by a mistake. I am not sure if this is new thing though. But I just noticed this.

Last night I actually saw a bot selling a Specialized killstreak rocket launcher for 1 ref. I tought it was a bug or something. Sent the trade offer and guess what? THE BOT ACCEPTED IT. 2 keys profit in no-time. But yeah be careful with it. It's been happening to a lot of bots.

8 hours ago, Edvis_Knife said:

Hello, I just want to warn you about bots which auto buy items relisted too low... Today i tried to lower my strange eternal reward by 1 reclaimed and by accident i listed it for 3 ref instead of 39 ref. I am using auto bot so anyone could have insta bought it from me for 3 ref... But i noticed my mistake in like a minute. After another minute I checked my trade offers and there was a bot trying to buy my item for 3 ref. This is not a human for sure just by looking at steam profile and his backpack. I would like to warn you all to not rush list item... It can be accident and you will lose value. Bot steam profile is here https://steamcommunity.com/id/tradingexpress1 

Share your thoughts on this here, I am interested to see if anyone actually lost anything by listing item for sale for too low by a mistake. I am not sure if this is new thing though. But I just noticed this.

That bot is weird.

1 hour ago, rndmchrs said:

That bot is weird.

Exactly. But he sent me a trade offer of 3 ref for my eternal reward. It must be really a bot which checks listed value and real value and just autobuys.

This is just a couple of bots that are specifically written to send offers based on the listings page. I get a lot of trades on my bot recently from trade bots written specifically to interface with bot.tf bots. It's pretty benign from what I've seen, though this obviously could get out of hand with a bad actor that only scoops up misconfigured prices. Basically, here you just accidentally tripped what's probably a legitimate trading strategy, no difference from someone getting a skin for 10 cents on a buy order on steam market that they set for like 5 dollars (not to that extent of course, but you get my point).

I don't see anything bad these bots do, they just react on listings that are profitable for them, compared to their buy/sell price, I seriously doubt they're made specifically for bot.tf .

It's just the fault of you misconfiguring the bot in the end.

36 minutes ago, poespas said:

they just react on listings that are profitable for them, compared to their buy/sell price

You're referring to an additional feature in some "normal" bots (with their own listings), they can automatically trade to other bots to sell an item when the profit margin becomes too small.

This post is about "new" kind of bots that do not have any listings. They only send offers, acting more like a user.

Their owner probably expected some backlash and decided to stay anonymous.

This might create a problem when they misbehave, like this "Pyro" bot that already sent my bot.tf bot over 890 invalid trade offers which kind of clutter the trades history for me. Unfortunately bot.tf cannot simply block Steam accounts.

Archived