hats with fake spells being sold on SCM - how to stop

duckDecoy

I've noticed an uptick again of people adding descriptions to their cosmetics to make it look like they contain spells, when they dont.  Example listed below.

1472476586_fakespellcosmetics.JPG.8b00cb67b846d4d57d3282ed5bcc1924.JPG

Quite a few on SCM, most of the below are fake spelled items on page 1 alone:

64475769_fakespelllistings.thumb.JPG.24c433a24117690152cc3eb2baee3060.JPG

Mainly the same accounts doing it.

My question is - what can be done about it?  I don't know how to identify the accounts selling the item and report them to Valve.    Can someone inform me how to go about this?

It would also be nice if marketplace and backpack.tf etc also gave them a ban for scamming, but not sure if they would as it isn't on their system.

Cheers

Backpack.tf Mods (in my experience) will not ban for this and will say "maybe user is mistaken themselves" 

even if you track item history and show that user got this item without "fake spell" description.

On the other hand, if you think about it, BP or MP ban for this is impractical

as it simply would not affect these throwaway Steam accounts in any way.

For example, on your screenshot it's this user with empty/private everything (found by SCM avatar).

IMHO the only thing you can do is report this to Steam Support but I doubt they would do anything.

In theory maybe maybe Valve could stop this entirely by disallowing certain descriptions

but they already ignored much more serious problems, so ...

6 minutes ago, D.Alex said:

(found by SCM avatar).

Could you tell me how you did this?  Sure it might be a waste of my time reporting to Valve, but I'm happy to give it a go if I can identify them.

Use some IQ and do research to see if it actually exists or get a better spelled item rather on a useless hat.

unfortunately even if we do know its fake,bp.tf cant do anything as there isnt enough evidence

It's quite scummy that people do this to trick people into buying their fake spelled items, even though it's easy to tell them apart from real ones if you look carefully enough. 

Spells are always listed in blue text and would never have quotations around them (Example). If you just look out for this little detail, there shouldn't be a problem.

I'm pretty annoyed by these fake listings too. The only way I found to eliminate some from my research is to put "NOT collection" in the search tab. Spells couldn't be applied on cosmetics from collection cases because they appeared much later. Should remove at least 2-3 pages of fake listings from your research.

1 hour ago, ApothicЯ said:

I'm pretty annoyed by these fake listings too. The only way I found to eliminate some from my research is to put "NOT collection" in the search tab. Spells couldn't be applied on cosmetics from collection cases because they appeared much later. Should remove at least 2-3 pages of fake listings from your research.

This doesn't work if you're specifically looking for spelled items, the best thing to do is just look before you buy anything to be sure you're getting what you want.

On 8/28/2019 at 4:38 PM, ApothicЯ said:

The only way I found to eliminate some from my research is to put "NOT collection" in the search tab. Spells couldn't be applied on cosmetics from collection cases because they appeared much later. Should remove at least 2-3 pages of fake listings from your research.

That isn't fully accurate. Spells could be applied all the way up until Tough Break, so while rare there are spelled Gun Mettle and Invasion items.

On 8/28/2019 at 5:48 PM, Appah said:

This doesn't work if you're specifically looking for spelled items, the best thing to do is just look before you buy anything to be sure you're getting what you want.

The NOT command in the search bar can be combined with searches so "spell NOT collection" totally works. The problem is that 1) It removes Gun Mettle and Invasion items even if they are really spelled versions and 2) It is completely inefficient.

For example: If you search for "spell" you get 111 pages of results and if you search for "spell NOT collection" you get 109 pages of results, so you only eliminate 2 pages worth of results.

Archived