Is it really worth getting into unusual trading now?

trading guru

I used to be an unusual trader a while ago but one time I got scammed by the sneaky method of using a fake steam login then the scammer hijacked my trade by impersonating a scrap.tf bot and I lost my first unusual forever.

This caused me to stop trading altogether and especially because of how expensive all those keys were for me especially because I am a poor high school student.

I later on heard about the great crate depression and how it affected the tf2 economy and unusual trading in general this is why I am not sure if it's really safe to do this or not to get back into unusual trading.

Do you think it's a good idea or not to do this or should I wait until the time is right to start unusual trading?.

Well because there is no way of determining whether or not an unusual is glitched or not, there is quite literally no distinction between glitched and non-glitched unusuals. The prices of the affected unusuals will eventually adjust accordingly due to the increase of the amount in circulation and people will forget that this ever happened. If you want to buy a certain 3rd or 1st gen unusual in the near future, wait for a new price suggestion that reflects the recent post-depression sales, and then you'll be fine.

35 minutes ago, Cabinet said:

Well because there is no way of determining whether or not an unusual is glitched or not, there is quite literally no distinction between glitched and non-glitched unusuals. The prices of the affected unusuals will eventually adjust accordingly due to the increase of the amount in circulation and people will forget that this ever happened. If you want to buy a certain 3rd or 1st gen unusual in the near future, wait for a new price suggestion that reflects the recent post-depression sales, and then you'll be fine.

There is a way to check currently; you can look at the history of the item, and if it has 1 man history it's most likely glitched atm. If it were to be traded, checking the date of the first person to own it can also reflect whether it was glitched or not.

In the future as more unusuals are unboxed, it will become impossible to check if it was glitched or not.

6 minutes ago, SoundDrout said:

There is a way to check currently; you can look at the history of the item, and if it has 1 man history it's most likely glitched atm. If it were to be traded, checking the date of the first person to own it can also reflect whether it was glitched or not.

In the future as more unusuals are unboxed, it will become impossible to check if it was glitched or not.

Yeah that can be a semi-reliable factor in determining if its glitched. Also not to mention, OP could just steer clear of 1st and 3rd gens.

It never has been and it never will be a good use of your time. Play the game, save up some money and buy the hats you like, if you want. Trying to profit is just a waste of your time. And anybody claiming that "glitched" unusuals are any less valuable is just trying to rip you off.

open unusual hat history, and if it has like 1-2 person history and item id starting #795********* it is most likely unusual was unboxed during bug.

9 hours ago, Cabinet said:

Also any hat which history starts on the 25th or 26th july also indicates its more than 90% glitched. That said. THe histories for unusuals wont show the unbox date if they dont get transferred or change id within a certain timescale so checking for the date in the history wont work it seems as it only updates on transfer to a diff account

1st and 3rd gens that were able to be unboxed during the Crate Depression have definitely taken a hit, but that excludes a huge chunk of the unusual economy.

Old Halloweens, Miscs, End of the Lines, Robo Effects, and others that weren't unboxable have remained stable, if not risen in price or desirability. However, even if they weren't directly affected, they were kind of dragged down with the 1st and 3rd gens that were unboxed.

Those 1st and 3rd gens are definitely harder to sell, and some people will use the same excuse like dupes to try to get a better deal, but that doesn't mean they're impossible to sell; in fact, because they've dropped in price or there are so many, you can buy them for pretty cheap and sell to someone who's buying just to keep, and buying these nice 1st gens for cheap is easier because of the Crate Depression.

I've traded unusuals for about 2 years now and while the economy has changed a ton during that time, it has always been my favorite hobby and something I've dedicated a lot of time into. You don't need to put that much time in it though, trading doesn't have to be proactive. It can be something that you do when you have time or when you feel like it, there's nothing that forces you to be very active to make profit. I find it very fun and I've made a lot of profit (starting from a $20 steam gift card 3 years ago). 

I'd say it's worth to get into unusual trading, but the most profit and best trading is old Halloweens (like Bonzo the All-Gnawing, Knifestorm, Arcana and Spellbound) and miscs.

Archived