Do spells add value to Unusuals?

solpan

Does it matter if it is a double-spelled unusual? I used to think they don't however I am seeing people selling them for more. Is this just speculation? 

They tend not to add value, but I guess it depends on the Tier of the spells, I've seen some high-tier spells add 3 Keys to the value before now. Double spell might add extra but it all depends if someone is willing to pay that, it won't be worth extra unless someone wants to pay extra

Usually depends. If it's high tier no one will bother raising the price, but at the end of the day, it all comes down to the spell tier. Die job, for example, is kinda ugly, thus it's price is low. If it's on an unusual, the price won't change much. Now if it's something like chromatic corruption, it may change up the price quite a bit.

Generally it doesn't add more than 1-2 keys in value unless it's a high tier spell on a high tier hat. (burning flames with rotten orange footprints) It does however make your hat 10x more desirable compared to other sellers in my experience.  

3 hours ago, solpan said:

Does it matter if it is a double-spelled unusual? I used to think they don't however I am seeing people selling them for more. Is this just speculation? 

Depends, traders like me manage to sell Double Spelled unusuals ~10-20 keys more, than the usual ones go for, but don't get your hopes up based on that lol

There are some super rare spelled unusuals, like a spectral spectrum Circling Peace Sign Coldsnap Cap and spelled Invasion unusuals. Those definitely add value, and add a ton, but on low tier, normal unusual items they only add a few keys at most of value.

Of course, that only really happens if the spells match the effect, such as Die Job with a greenish effect or Rotten Orange Footprints with Burning Flames. If your hat is duped but it is spelled or perhaps double spelled, it could either sort of negate the fact that it's duped or make up for it and make it even more desirable.

If the spell completely clashes or contrasts the effect then it tends to not add any value, like Spectral Spectrum with a purple effect.

Sometimes, high tier first gen allclasses, which are generally pretty damn difficult to sell, can be hotcakes if they have god tier spell combinations, such as a Burning Flames Federal Casemaker spelled with Spectral Spectrum and Rotten Orange Footprints.

It all comes down to how desirable it makes the unusual, and ultimately you can set the price at what you think people will pay if your unusual is spelled.

Personally Yes, to me they add value, since spells will never come back, if you happen to find a Unusual with Paint+Footprint spells, it could possibly add 5-10 keys in value, most are already with collectors though.

Post-Life Spelled Unusuals like things from Winter 2014 up to Invasion/Gargoyle, tend to go for a pretty penny, example: Voices+Horseshoes Nebula Captain

TL;DR, Yes Spells add value to Unusuals, you just have to wait, find the right person, and or get lucky.

Like this ten gallon. Its the only double spelled burning ten gallon. I know voices isn't that great of a spell. But there are only 3 other rotten orange footprint ten gallons. And only one with voices. Mine is the only one that has both voices and rotten orange footprints. So I paid a little bit more for it. Like everyone else said, depends on the spell, seller, and buyer.

a3db4c4866a63d470ebe8652bf34a70e.png

Chromatic Corruption and Headless Horseshoes on an unusual with a purple effect is a hidden TF2 achievement. 

Well worth the price of admission, although at this point you're not finding a good deal on them anywhere.

Archived