Need help installing Windows 98 on a PC

JayTuut

This PC has windows 7 on it, I jsut want to wipe it and downgrade it to Windows 98 for some personal reasons. (It also is like an i2 and sucks and can barely run windows 7)

The installation instructions here suck, so I download the Windows 98 Second Edition (OEM Full) then what? Do I put it on a usb? a disc? what do i do?

Your best bet is probably to build a time machine and go ask someone

seriously though, I don't know shit about windows 98 but have installed dozens of operating systems, usually you flash the iso to a compact disk or hdd using a tool like etcher or rufus and then in your BIOS on the target computer set boot priority to either your optical drive (if using a CD) or USB (if using an HDD) then do a live boot and proceed to install...after that it becomes OS specific and i can't help you

6 minutes ago, Buddy said:

Your best bet is probably to build a time machine and go ask someone

seriously though, I don't know shit about windows 98 but have installed dozens of operating systems, usually you flash the iso to a compact disk or hdd using a tool like etcher or rufus and then in your BIOS on the target computer set boot priority to either your optical drive (if using a CD) or USB (if using an HDD) then do a live boot and proceed to install...after that it becomes OS specific and i can't help you

Uh, okay.

I've only really done windows 10 which is just installer on a USB and set that as boot drive in bios and done.

For this I'm assuming maybe I have to burn the OEM file I downloaded to a disc then make that the boot drive? Have no idea though.

that sounds right. after you're actually booted into it i don't know what to tell you. there may well be an installer that holds your hand

Logically, you have to put win98 on a booting device (  HHD, USB,...) then set on your bios to boot on the said booting device

Buddy has suggested the correct methods. Although, You may find you encounter some issues installing software in general. Especially if the software you are installing was released within the last 20 years as it will esentially be newer than the OS you will be running. . Like steam for example, As far as i am aware the .net repositories and other bits and pieces like direct X will be to new for win 98. If you are intending on running steam or tf2 then its not gonna happen on a 98 machine as far as i can tell. You may also encounter FAT compatibility issues if you say, require to plugin a camera or flash drive which was formatted with a new FAT other than FAT32.

Windows 98 might not even have drivers to run your hardware in the first place. Use a virtual environment ala VirtualBox to run 98 if you really have to do it

In all honesty, Windows 98 isn't the best option for you to take. Go for Windows XP instead because 95, 98 and ME aren't really advisable for such moments.

16 hours ago, Ljon said:

Windows 98 might not even have drivers to run your hardware in the first place. Use a virtual environment ala VirtualBox to run 98 if you really have to do it

Yeah I did this... it works I guess but it's kinda wack, took like 1-2 hours to setup and then I couldn't even run the windows 98 game I wanted... so rip

2 hours ago, TheOneGoofAli said:

In all honesty, Windows 98 isn't the best option for you to take. Go for Windows XP instead because 95, 98 and ME aren't really advisable for such moments.

The game I want to play only runs on 95/98/ME/2000 :( 

Just now, JayTee said:

The game I want to play only runs on 95/98/ME/2000 :( 

Provide the name of the game? XP should be able to run the game.

3 minutes ago, TheOneGoofAli said:

Provide the name of the game? XP should be able to run the game.

Max Payne (disc edition), steam version is updated and can run on windows 10 (with some mods) even but the disc version I don't think worked on windows XP when I tried it on an old shitty laptop but 🤷‍♂️

7 minutes ago, JayTee said:

Max Payne (disc edition), steam version is updated and can run on windows 10 (with some mods) even but the disc version I don't think worked on windows XP when I tried it on an old shitty laptop but 🤷‍♂️

If that's the case, better prepare some drivers for Windows 98 - chipset, ethernet, video card, etc. Best advised to grab a bootable ISO, burn it to a CD, boot from it, partition the drive with FDisk, format and then install.

1 minute ago, TheOneGoofAli said:

If that's the case, better prepare some drivers for Windows 98 - chipset, ethernet, video card, etc. Best advised to grab a bootable ISO, burn it to a CD, boot from it, partition the drive with FDisk, format and then install.

Look above ^ I decided in the end to just do a virtualbox, still fucked tho hahaha

Archived