Official update on the unusual hat glitch from Valve

TNC Phoenix®

This make me sad, really sad. Instead of deleting them, they just make 1 tradeable for person, i am so done with this game.

Literally Valve rewarded those who partake in the exploit and gained the system. While people who refused and stayed good little boys and girls gained nothing. 

#Cheater'sLament2019

17 minutes ago, Charlotte said:

This make me sad, really sad. Instead of deleting them, they just make 1 tradeable for person, i am so done with this game.

lul wut, you've got one in your inv so all that means is that one is gonna be tradeble ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

16 minutes ago, NoCaloriePepsi said:

Literally Valve rewarded those who partake in the exploit and gained the system. While people who refused and stayed good little boys and girls gained nothing. 

#Cheater'sLament2019

lol mate if you expect something for not going for personal gain intentionally or unintentionally, welcome to reality. 

Just now, Melancholy Sky said:

lul wut, you've got one in your inv so all that means is that one is gonna be tradeble ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yes, i have 1, but i dont give a damn about it. Look the bigger picture of this now tradeable bugged unusuals, they said  there is not a lot, but still a hugh ammount of unusuals to the market. Also think in every no tradeable unusual as well, they should change the name to usuals now, i am done with this. Why even trade rn?

47 minutes ago, LaughingLollipop said:

regrets for not buyin that 1800 burn tc off scm

woulda been first touch.... rip

I'm sure you could still buy one for cheap, since most of them will be tradable

Edit: i'm wrong srry, it's the first one added to the account so you can't choose which unusual you want i guess

48 minutes ago, Charlotte said:

they said  there is not a lot, but still a hugh ammount of unusuals to the market

They stated that the amount of unusuals being made tradeable is the equivalent to 1 month's worth of the usual unboxing rate. So, while large, not overly big or destabilizing.

I honestly think Valves response to this was pretty meh, and this is coming from someone who unboxed a ton of crates and has a decent amount of "God Tier" effects now. I mean honestly there was no winning in this situation for Valve, so I honestly feel for them a little bit. I'll highlight a bit of my thoughts below.

- It's a bit fair for people who didn't "exploit" the bug to be a bit angry. Valve is essentially saying "Hey if this happens again just abuse the hell out of it" -- which is not the best message to send. Honestly though Valve has always been like this in most of their bugs, except for ones that directly exploit and cheat the game (IE: Giftapult bug) so it's not SUPER out of character.

- People who didn't have the money or were asleep or something I feel for you a bit lol. That being said essentially begging for a Cheaters Lament is not the way to go about it. I feel like most (not saying all) people who "didn't abuse this bug" didn't choose not to, they just couldn't for whatever reason, so asking for a unique reward that was already given out for different reasons is a little bullshit.

- Valve was in a tough situation. If they made every hat tradeable 3rd gens would be even more trash then they already are, 1st gens would suffer a bit (but be fine).  Honestly A LOT less 1st gens were unboxed. On the flipside making ALL of them untradeable screws over a lot of people as well.

- People who had buy orders on 3rd party sites I feel a little bad for, but honestly Valve can't do anything in this situation. They do not endorse 3rd party sites and they shouldn't have to. It sucks yes, but the only thing you can do is contact support and if they deny it there is nothing you can do except chargeback if possible (not saying you should, chargebacks are always shitty (depending of course)).

- I don't care to much about SCM bots and Trading bots. I have a strong dislike for Bots in those situations and from my understanding Valve slightly frowns upon them. Honestly it kind of cracks me up, and if that makes me look like an asshole so be it.

What my solution would have been (not that it matters): Make all hats tradeable and give people who didn't abuse the bug (or people who very lightly did, so I wouldn't be included lol) an Unusual Mann Co. Cap or something with a random effect. Yes 3rd gens would go down the toilet, 1st gens would get cheaper, which honestly isn't a bad thing, and if anything would retain a bit more TF2 players (due to them having a "cool" effect hat). 

All in all a garbage situation, but I feel like Valves response could have been a bit better. This still works and is honestly not the WORST thing they could have done.

35 minutes ago, Scott Bakula said:

They stated that the amount of unusuals being made tradeable is the equivalent to 1 month's worth of the usual unboxing rate. So, while large, not overly big or destabilizing.

I didnt know that but still, if you think about it, a lot people will not try to get in unusual trading beacuse they already got some without trading, so that means less demand. And also you can call me trash but i dont like to see people with unusuals not tradeables, they make me angry for pure envy i suppose. Do you fell the same? 

17 minutes ago, BlueSpider said:

- It's a bit fair for people who didn't "exploit" the bug to be a bit angry. Valve is essentially saying "Hey if this happens again just abuse the hell out of it" -- which is not the best message to send. Honestly though Valve has always been like this in most of their bugs, except for ones that directly exploit and cheat the game (IE: Giftapult bug) so it's not SUPER out of character.

Given only the first one for each person will be tradable I don't really see it as Valve saying that. I would say it is more Valve saying "If it happens again, you can check or test it, but don't expect to profit from exploiting it."

I mean if were to happen again I imagine based on this response most people would unbox a single Unusual to get their one single tradable one and then let it be.

6 minutes ago, Charlotte said:

if you think about it, a lot people will not try to get in unusual trading beacuse they already got some without trading, so that means less demand.

OOF

18 minutes ago, Charlotte said:

I didnt know that but still, if you think about it, a lot people will not try to get in unusual trading beacuse they already got some without trading, so that means less demand. And also you can call me trash but i dont like to see people with unusuals not tradeables, they make me angry for pure envy i suppose. Do you fell the same? 

Trading will always be there, it's just that some hats will be a bit cheaper since there are new ones introduced in the market. I don't care about people using gliched hats, it just feels wrong but i'm fine with that

1 hour ago, Tasty Salamanders said:

Given only the first one for each person will be tradable I don't really see it as Valve saying that. I would say it is more Valve saying "If it happens again, you can check or test it, but don't expect to profit from exploiting it."

I mean if were to happen again I imagine based on this response most people would unbox a single Unusual to get their one single tradable one and then let it be.

That is kind of true in this case. Though with like the glitched killstreak kits they did next to nothing, and people made hundreds to thousands off of that (obviously this situation is a lot more egregious and a lot more damaging, they also made money essentially on flipping them instead of exploiting it themselves. So it is different but not by a RIDICULOUS amount). Also some people traded stuff and sold stuff away to places such as marketplace, so PLENTY of people made profit off of this if they were ahead of the game, so while I kind of agree with your statement it isn't 100% true.

Edit: A good argument against mine would probably be they're still sending that message if they make them tradeable because then people could potentially profit even more. It's honestly a bad situation all around the board.

Well, thanks to Valve. We can still preserve one and get refund for others.

IMO It's a win-win solution. But yeah It sucks for the "Unusual Rush" participants and good for the economy.

6 hours ago, Zoinks said:

This doesn’t do anything to acknowledge the people who gained thousands by taking advantage of others or the people who lost thousands because they were taken advantage of.

I think this is why they give refund option since those trade bots full of untradeable unusuals are one of the biggest victims, giving them the option to refund would just give them back the keys or items they lost, that's why they give option to refund probably.

This was by far the best answer the community could get to satisfy the paying userbase. That's great, it means they still care about us. 

But in reality I don't think it was the best answer. People who exploited it are getting refunded and get to keep one(at least I hope they don't refund the crates they bought off SCM). People who unboxed 1 to 3 unusuals, because they didn't want to "exploit" the bug but still knew what was going on , will keep one and refund the others, no loses to be made here really. People who decided not to partake in the glitch because of any possible consequence are not rewarded, not saying that they must be, but it feels right now that in any situation like this, you'll be rewarded for doing the wrong action and not for staying still, since the consequences seem to be negligible in most cases.

I think the correct answer would've been, make the first tradable and the others not but don't offer a refund(or offer a partly one in steam wallets) or nothing is tradable and you all get refunds. Either of that options would minimally affect the market. Because of right now, in most cases, people are literally getting rewarded for an exploit. 

I unboxed 5 unusuals, all 3rd gen. I don't feel bad for it. It's Valve's fault.

Profit will come out of this situation as far as I am concerned.

But what for the numerous times I lost value on my items because of Valve ?

Like the doubled unusual drop rate ? Did Valve care for unusual owners ? There are ups and downs, that's life.

The harm is done, they have to fix it, but no solution will restore TF2 economy to its initial state : SCM sales/buys, 3rd party websites, etc.

Valve was obviously in a delicate situation. It's not perfect, but it's almost the best possible solution IMO.

On 8/2/2019 at 9:36 PM, Charlotte said:

Yes, i have 1, but i dont give a damn about it. Look the bigger picture of this now tradeable bugged unusuals, they said  there is not a lot, but still a hugh ammount of unusuals to the market. Also think in every no tradeable unusual as well, they should change the name to usuals now, i am done with this. Why even trade rn?

The tradeable first unboxes amount to 1 month of normal unusual drops.  Unusuals have been unboxed since August 2011, which means that 95 months have passed since the original unusual patch and this glitch.  This glitch amounts to 1 month of unusual drops, meaning 1.05% has been added to the total inventory of existing unusuals.  You might see a short term impact (it won't be big), but in the long run (the "big picture"), it hardly changes anything.  

Archived