Banned users over crate glitch

sfpt

I have been noticing quite a few backpacks, mostly large ones, completely and permanently banned for abuse of the crate glitch. Why is this? The ban message on these profiles (see: j58) are more of a roast than an actual reason -- literally nobody knew that these hats would be untradable until they became untradable. Some of these people only sold one or two hats. There is no rule on backpack.tf or otherwise prohibiting the sale of hats obtained due to an exploit. Duplicated items have been circulating the economy for a long time, as have gift wrapped non-tradable items and items with unorthodox qualities obtained by steam support. Why should anyone have thought that this would be treated ANY differently? Absolutely absurd the lengths taken to ban people who were not aware of the wrongs they were doing. Valve still has not even decided on what they will do with the unusuals unboxed on july 25 -- they could be tradable for all we know. I eagerly await a response from someone as to why such a ridiculous and drastic decision was made.

Due to how many unusuals were being boxed, it was clear to alot of people that there was going to be a glut of unusuals dropped onto the market, thus devaluing them substantially.   So yea, they did it knowing they wouldnt get those high prices since no one knew at that time that Valve was aware of the glitch and thus, they kept unboxing and unboxing. and dumping and dumping.

i really dont think this can be considered scamming, just willful abuse of a glitch. nothing in the rules says that you cant do something like this, so a ban on the basis of "morals" is extremely questionable.

5 minutes ago, sfpt said:

i really dont think this can be considered scamming, just willful abuse of a glitch. nothing in the rules says that you cant do something like this, so a ban on the basis of "morals" is extremely questionable.

Tell that to the few people that so far have lost a few thousands of dollars.   They might have a different view on that.

they were knowingly exploiting a glitch running the funds down from peoples accounts how could this that not be scamming lmao?

so jumping a market change is bannable now?

this is hilarious

plenty of users (and literal mods) have in the past been involved in the exact same behavior when hats were going all class

hat goes all class in patch notes > sellers/bots instantly flooded with full pure b/os > relist for double instantly

keep in mind that this is the same place where its ok to trade scammers/alts who stole hats for nothing (unless they have steamrep mark which is uncommon nowadays...)

moral bankruptcy is a weak term for the mental gymnastics required to believe that someone selling legitamently obtained in game items to buy orders is worse than someone who flat out stole the item they're selling

27 minutes ago, Mrs TS said:

Tell that to the few people that so far have lost a few thousands of dollars.   They might have a different view on that.

the situation is unresolved, they could very well yet end up in possession of exactly what they paid for (it may be worth less, but when you say the word economy you're accepting that value fluctuates)

those people should be the most prepared of any to take the hit, they are investors. you only invest with what you can afford to lose. (in tf2 and in real life)

I feel bad for the person who wanted to buy a nice hat to wear and paid $50 for something thats worth $10 if they unlock them all again; not the investor who made a poor investment

8 minutes ago, LaughingLollipop said:

hat goes all class in patch notes > sellers/bots instantly flooded with full pure b/os > relist for double instantly

You said the magic words....it was posted in the patch notes.  

In the case you mention, the seller got what he expected. In this case, the seller got worthless items.

12 minutes ago, Mrs TS said:

In the case you mention, the seller got what he expected. In this case, the seller got worthless items.

12 minutes ago, Mrs TS said:

pardon I paraphrased loosely.

the patch notes said in this instance precisely

'updated equip region for HAT NAME'

this is rather imprecise as many hats have had this listed without being class changed (see things that go misc, things that have gone from head region to head+, etc.)

the first people to get item server connectivity and check are the only people who truly know the extent of the change

Crate mechanics have changed without notes in the past, see strange normals, see unboxable unusual body items, etc.

Those aren't considered to be bannable. Those were just as exploitative as this, you literally just used the game as it worked and you could get them.

There is no hack. There is no special set of circumstances you must create for the event to occur. There is no individual culpability for use of the game as it existed.

There are many butthurt (and in this case wealthy/influential) individuals who lose money on changes.

The only difference, the only reasoning I can fathom is that this is 'different' because the butthurt happened to wealthy and influential people.

Using what they knew at the time was an exploit, found people who were unaware and profit off "vulnerable users". They 100% thought that there would be no consequences and most likely treated at what they thought was legal swindling. 

I HOPE this serves as a warning that even if Valve doesn't impose consequences for exploitation of profits, some TF2 communities will punish you so there's a risk to despicable behaviour.

I didn't track any of the expensive items but there were tons of $30-$50 hats that were being sold on the SCM in the $5 range because the enconmy was literally crashes as the event went on due to the insane amount hats being produced.

And you are correct, there was no hack. Wht there was was a bug in the drop system that certain not ly took advantage of, but took those items and dumped them into unsuspecting traders/bots as quickly as possible as prices were dropping similar to a stock market crash.

Trying to justify deliberately selling items you knew to be worthless compared to a non glitched item

And while you are correct that no one knows what Valve will do, as in the 'making those items tradable: then the hats that were affected will be worth 1/10 of what they were the day before the glitch.

The idiocracy of guys like you is far beyond my comprehension. It is an abuse and whatsoever that abuse be, it should be punishable. It is simply a scale of human morality, if you lack it then you are the abuser of it. So dont defend something that is straight up wrong.

Just to give you a vague number, almost 1/4th of all unusuals in existence were unlocked in those few hours! And this issue is not like any other bugs that have been witnessed, it's scale is huge and very predictable. Even a dumb ass can figure out it will crash the economy. Those of you stating that they will be tradable soon, it doesn't matter, their values will drop significantly as is evident in buyorders in market already. In future if that happens it will be on a much larger scale.

59 minutes ago, LaughingLollipop said:

plenty of users (and literal mods) have in the past been involved in the exact same behavior when hats were going all class

You are trying to compare direct and immediate loss to missed profits. No, it's not the same.

1 hour ago, D.Alex said:

You are trying to compare direct and immediate loss to missed profits. No, it's not the same.

direct? immediate?

the items were tradeable and remarketable for many hours

it is immoral to project punishments backwards based upon valve action that hadn't occurred (and is yet to be resolved...)

Even though the course of action is ex-post facto, I do think there were enough users who knew this was a glitch and would be patched. What further forms of restriction on the unboxed items were unknown but the exploiters knew it was a glitch and took the opportunity to flood the market with unboxed, cheap, glitched unusuals to turn around for a fast profit. Those users knew what they were doing was dishonest.

Users that unboxed and kept glitched unusuals? Meh. I'd say leave them alone. Those who unboxed and sold, with the intent to profit off of, the unusuals while knowing that Valve would take some course of action do deserve to be punished.

54 minutes ago, Wsdea said:

Apparently you can be banned even if you didn’t unbox anything. Rip me

If you didnt unbox anything how come you have untradeable unusuals in your backpack?!?

You also shifted the previously legit owned unusuals that you had in your account post glitch to marketplace.tf , I assume because you were under the impression or worried valve would also look negatively on your behaviour. So you put them in there for safe keeping so if they did block your account then you would be able to cash them out still for real monies...

7 minutes ago, Happysedits said:

I wonder how many people did thing without anybody noticing

There will be many, considering so many unusuals were uncrated. Though most of them will be in unlucky bot accounts. These scummy traders should straight up be banned by valve itself for abusing the glitch so much.

21 minutes ago, DanielDee said:

If you didnt unbox anything how come you have untradeable unusuals in your backpack?!?

You also shifted the previously legit owned unusuals that you had in your account post glitch to marketplace.tf , I assume because you were under the impression or worried valve would also look negatively on your behaviour. So you put them in there for safe keeping so if they did block your account then you would be able to cash them out still for real monies...

https://forums.backpack.tf/topic/72094-banning-the-glitch-abusers/?tab=comments#comment-626165

2 hours ago, DanielDee said:

You also shifted the previously legit owned unusuals that you had in your account post glitch to marketplace.tf , I assume because you were under the impression or worried valve would also look negatively on your behaviour. So you put them in there for safe keeping so if they did block your account then you would be able to cash them out still for real monies..

Why do I have the sensation that all your posts are most of the times out of topic or doesnt answer to anything at all. 

Archived