Boycott valve

Rakaksha

2 minutes ago, Celery said:

Except instead of anything being missing, you know, they made a lot of money off of keys.  Their PR with people that owned a lot of unusual hats is nothing compared to 1) the money they made through all of this and 2) the people who now own unusuals.

And that increases the delay in the external response. Because now, rather than just the dev team needing to be in the loop and responding, but also legal and accounting. And then the executive department also needs to weigh in.

It really feels like some of you are completely underestimating the amount of bureaucracy that's involved in damage control of this level. It's not like they just needed to call a single person to head down into the breaker room and switch the economy from fucked to unfucked.

8 minutes ago, Rakaksha said:

If it was intended, how is it a mistake and what are they trying to fix? 

Taking time? I have seen restaurants and stations get shut down quicker in case of emergency that the way valve reacted to this fiasco. Its software driven, failsafes are expected from company of this scale. Even smaller scale softwarea have a better damage mitigation system

Meant to write NOT intended, but yeah anyways, the information must have got to them too slow, it is not fair to compare a restaurant where they instantly can realize a problem or emergency tho..

6 minutes ago, Scott Bakula said:

And that increases the delay in the external response. Because now, rather than just the dev team needing to be in the loop and responding, but also legal and accounting. And then the executive department also needs to weigh in.

It really feels like some of you are completely underestimating the amount of bureaucracy that's involved in damage control of this level. It's not like they just needed to call a single person to head down into the breaker room and switch the economy from fucked to unfucked.

"Damage control" implies that something bad happened for them.  It was a happy little accident that netted them a lot of money.

Just now, Celery said:

It was a happy little accident that netted them a lot of money.

With an attached bunch of bad PR and the potential of lawsuits or lost future profits.

So, now the bean counters need to count everything to figure out what the most profitable course of action is and pitch that the the executives. Remember the scene in Fight Club where Tyler Durden talks about how a company decides to do a recall or not?

10 minutes ago, Scott Bakula said:

There you go contradicting yourself.

In your first post you said they couldnt do anything because for them it was the waking hours. 

Now you're saying they didnt do anything because it would have taken them a lot of time to contact everyone.

Which one is it, flip flops?

This all started out as a GAME for PLAYING.  The fact that they added in trading, some used it for a second income. (or in some cases, their main income)  

TF2 as a game itself is not affected by this glitch.   So for those that enjoy the game for what it was MADE for.....playing......  this glitch has zero meaning.

Just now, Scott Bakula said:

With an attached bunch of bad PR and the potential of lawsuits or lost future profits.

So, now the bean counters need to count everything to figure out what the most profitable course of action is and pitch that the the executives. Remember the scene in Fight Club where Tyler Durden talks about how a company decides to do a recall or not?

Potential. No one is suing valve. Remember csgo gambling lawsuit? How did that go?

1 minute ago, Mrs TS said:

This all started out as a GAME for PLAYING.  The fact that they added in trading, some used it for a second income. (or in some cases, their main income)  

TF2 as a game itself is not affected by this glitch.   So for those that enjoy the game for what it was MADE for.....playing......  this glitch has zero meaning.

Trading is a big part of it now. There are a million trade servers and another million simply for unusuals. You may not care for them which is okay, but aside from profit these people enjoy trading hats back and forth, you cant dault them for that. In their case their enjoyment is ruined and this is something that directly affects their game.

1 minute ago, Scott Bakula said:

Who has more sway for PR, a very tiny minority of people who decided to hoard (some called it an investment, heh) a bunch of unusuals, or the masses who now have access to cheap unusual hats?  Who knows, those unusual hoarders may not buy the next Half Life game!

3 minutes ago, tamron said:

Which one is it, flip flops?

Where did I say they were mutually exclusive delays?

Think about where you work for a second. If you needed to contact all your coworkers and bosses and get a response from them at 2 in the morning, how fast would you get it?

3 minutes ago, Scott Bakula said:

Where did I say they were mutually exclusive delays?

Think about where you work for a second. If you needed to contact all your coworkers and bosses and get a response from them at 2 in the morning, how fast would you get it?

When it first started there wouldnt be a legal problem on their end. They could shutdown item servers and play damage control until they got everything together. Thats what i am saying. If they did this unintentionally and didnt want it to continue all they had to do was shutdown item servers until a fix was found. Again, you dont need to contact the higherups immediately. If they are unreachable then make a temporary solution to stop this. This would lose them money however.

I would normally play devils advocate but this is a really cut and dry case for me. They either saw an opening and took it or it was intentional from the beginning

1 hour ago, Rakaksha said:

I personally am done with valve. The way they have treated the community for this past duration is miserably at best. The steam sale was a big f up. This minor update which was supposed to bring something new to the game, instead ruined it all together. I had invested less than 20$ in this game but a huge amount of time. I feel sad for those who had invested much more into it. There bug fixing is comparable to a start-up. So why shouldn't we give chance to other alternatives. Hell yeah go for epic store or any fucking place. I personally wont be spending or supporting valve in any manner whatsoever!

yeah you're really sticking it to them

1 hour ago, tamron said:

Why? 

No one i see has brought up a legitimate argument for not supporting epic store. I'm listening

They had a lot of shit surrounding them illegitimately using steam user data, then they did the whole shenanigan where they got people on their platform by offering free games, which now disappear if you uninstall them. Never played Fortnite myself but from what I understand they essentially degraded their entire competitive scene with rng to pander to the cross platform compatability, which brought in way more money. Valve for all their (many) faults are not like this and provide an ultimately good platform, even if it's going through a rough ass patch, they very definitely do care about their products. Both of these issues (summer sale and this shitfest) have not been brought about by valve being penny pinching; rather as a side effect of what, in both cases could have been really fun additions to their products.

1 minute ago, Ninjah said:

They had a lot of shit surrounding them illegitimately using steam user data, then they did the whole shenanigan where they got people on their platform by offering free games, which now disappear if you uninstall them. Never played Fortnite myself but from what I understand they essentially degraded their entire competitive scene with rng to pander to the cross platform compatability, which brought in way more money. Valve for all their (many) faults are not like this and provide an ultimately good platform, even if it's going through a rough ass patch, they very definitely do care about their products. Both of these issues (summer sale and this shitfest) have not been brought about by valve being penny pinching; rather as a side effect of what, in both cases could have been really fun additions to their products.

I dont like being a defender of a company but i still believe epic doesnt deserve all the shit.

They were using steam data, however it wasnt illegitimate nor harmful from what i could gather. All they did was, after your explicit consent, add your steam friends on epic. They did it by copying your steam data which you gave them permission for. I couldnt find any other instances of epic using steam data.

The instances where free games were removed from your library seem to be correct. However i really doubt it was with malicious intent and rather it was botched execution since i didnt hear any games being removed after slime rancher, so it seems like it was just a bug caused by linking multiple accounts to one email.

In fortnites case, i cant say anything because i havent played it since the start of the year. I dont understand how one game relates to you not using a whole platform however

Steam may be good but it still has its problems. However unlike epic store, steam has a gigantic bootlicking fanbase that is scared of downloading a second launcher because of flimsy reasons, so as last summer sale proved it will continue to stagnate. I cannot say if epic store will be more popular than steam but what i can say is it will be definitely better in many ways due to tim sweeney being an actual game developer that gives a shit compared to gabe, a businessman who already has money. 

I can understand  all the hysteria. But wont it only be 1st and 3rd gens that are ruined? Wont EOTL, Halloween, Invasion, and Robo effects be untouched? Or is EVERYTHING gonna be dragged down?

3 hours ago, NoCaloriePepsi said:

I can understand  all the hysteria. But wont it only be 1st and 3rd gens that are ruined? Wont EOTL, Halloween, Invasion, and Robo effects be untouched? Or is EVERYTHING gonna be dragged down

The unusuals uncrated are huge in number. They droped like 20-30 in years but dropped that many in a few hours. So you can imagine the value of the current ones being reduced to fractions. Further if one pays by item overpay, he will need way many more of these unusuals...they have become like taunts. Too many of them in market and no one wants them.

Archived