How do universal killstreak kits work

Brown

I know the basics of how they came about and everything, I just don't understand how the effect is shown. I've heard that when applying a prof killstreak to a hat you can use a normal killstreak weapon as if it were pro ks, and it will show the eye effects based off the hats killstreaker effect, but I've never seen this tested. I've also only seen universal pro kits with just the killstreaker, and no sheen. Do you have to apply a spec ks kit to the hat before applying a pro ks kit for the killstreaker? Do the effects work the same as a normal pro ks item? Can't find any answers to these questions, thought I'd ask here if anyone knows or owns one

If you apply a spec kit then a prof kit it will not make any difference. Its literally just for the name "specialized" or "professional" Killstreak item as far as i am aware. If it actually activated a sheen or killstreaker then there would be a conflict if they had one already as killstreakers show when you have the weapon equipped. Having a killstreaker hat would then make you generate two effects which is not possible.

Bonk Helm aside, applying a universal specalized kit to a cosmetic does nothing. Applying a professional one will however, will act as a basic kit, making all your kills add to your killstreak counter, regardless of weapon. The professional kit's eye effects will never activate though.

8 hours ago, Persona 5 R Advertisement said:

(besides the bonk cap for some reason)

The reason is because the Bonk Helm uses the models for the Bonk Energy Drink instead of being a custom job, and as all weapons are designed to be able to have sheens, the cans on the helm will get them.

KS kits do cause the sheen to show on the Bonk Helms cans.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1644722155

Curious about the spy disguise kit, as it can be applied, but am not sure if anyone else has done it yet.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1797602052

9 hours ago, Scott Bakula said:

The professional kit's eye effects will never activate though.

Is this the case for all pro ks hats? Or just ones without the sheen applied.

https://gyazo.com/b96f93fddd45071e9854ac5129c87472

https://gyazo.com/07528af166aa1d8dd1566407ada0bf01

The first one has a sheen but the second one doesn't. I can't find a universal kit with a sheen AND a killstreaker, that's why I asked if you have to apply the spec ks before a pro ks to get both effects

On 7/22/2019 at 5:05 PM, DanielDee said:

If you apply a spec kit then a prof kit it will not make any difference. [...] If it actually activated a sheen or killstreaker then there would be a conflict if they had one already as killstreakers show when you have the weapon equipped. Having a killstreaker hat would then make you generate two effects which is not possible.

Correction here: There are passive weapons (sort of half-way between a normal active weapon and a cosmetic) with official killstreak kits. For example: The Mantreads and Demo's Shields.

I don't have too much experience with how these work, but to my knowledge if you have an active killstreak weapon in your loadout with a passive killstreak weapon the effect of the active one overrides the effect of the passive one. From my prior testing I don't recall this happening with Killstreak hats, but I guess I could always do more testing with a basic killstreak weapon.

18 hours ago, Scott Bakula said:

Bonk Helm aside, applying a universal specalized kit to a cosmetic does nothing. Applying a professional one will however, will act as a basic kit, making all your kills add to your killstreak counter, regardless of weapon. The professional kit's eye effects will never activate though.

Umm, no, no it doesn't? I've got Pro KS Hats and they have never made my killstreak counter increase with a non-killstreak weapon.

That being said, a Killstreak Hat does make the Killstreak Counter appear on your hud even if it won't increase (due to lack of Killstreak weapons).

12 hours ago, n_n said:

Curious about the spy disguise kit, as it can be applied, but am not sure if anyone else has done it yet.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1797602052 

While the game will let you attempt to apply a Universal Killstreak Kit to a Disguise Kit it won't actually work and you'll just get the Killstreak Kit back. Same thing if you try to apply it to Grappling Hook.

9 hours ago, Crown said:

Is this the case for all pro ks hats? Or just ones without the sheen applied.

https://gyazo.com/b96f93fddd45071e9854ac5129c87472

https://gyazo.com/07528af166aa1d8dd1566407ada0bf01

The first one has a sheen but the second one doesn't. I can't find a universal kit with a sheen AND a killstreaker, that's why I asked if you have to apply the spec ks before a pro ks to get both effects

You can't apply KS Kits to an item with another KS Kit already attached unless you remove the other one first. The reason some Pro KS Hats have sheens and some don't is due to the Kits having different origins.

Universal Pro Kits with both a Sheen and Effect came from Fabricators that dropped in MvM during Gun Mettle.
Universal Pro Kits with an Effect and no Sheen came from Crates that were opened during Scream Fortress 2015.

On 7/23/2019 at 3:20 AM, Tasty Salamanders said:

Correction here: There are passive weapons (sort of half-way between a normal active weapon and a cosmetic) with official killstreak kits. For example: The Mantreads and Demo's Shields.

I don't have too much experience with how these work, but to my knowledge if you have an active killstreak weapon in your loadout with a passive killstreak weapon the effect of the active one overrides the effect of the passive one. From my prior testing I don't recall this happening with Killstreak hats, but I guess I could always do more testing with a basic killstreak weapon.

Umm, no, no it doesn't? I've got Pro KS Hats and they have never made my killstreak counter increase with a non-killstreak weapon.

That being said, a Killstreak Hat does make the Killstreak Counter appear on your hud even if it won't increase (due to lack of Killstreak weapons).

While the game will let you attempt to apply a Universal Killstreak Kit to a Disguise Kit it won't actually work and you'll just get the Killstreak Kit back. Same thing if you try to apply it to Grappling Hook.

You can't apply KS Kits to an item with another KS Kit already attached unless you remove the other one first. The reason some Pro KS Hats have sheens and some don't is due to the Kits having different origins.

Universal Pro Kits with both a Sheen and Effect came from Fabricators that dropped in MvM during Gun Mettle.
Universal Pro Kits with an Effect and no Sheen came from Crates that were opened during Scream Fortress 2015.

Wow, knew nothing about any of these beforehand, didn't even know universal kits were unboxable on top of being dropped. Thank you very much. So, all in all, killstreak hats do not show any visable eye effects nor sheens, with the exception of the bonk helm, even though they have a passive killstreak counter, right? That's the main thing I can't seem to find a clear answer on, I just remember reading that while using a normal killstreak weapon with a pro ks hat, the hats killstreaker would show as you gain kills, the same way a passive weapon behaves, like the mantreads. I think this also works with gunboats iirc.

3 hours ago, Crown said:

So, all in all, killstreak hats do not show any visable eye effects nor sheens, with the exception of the bonk helm, even though they have a passive killstreak counter, right? That's the main thing I can't seem to find a clear answer on, I just remember reading that while using a normal killstreak weapon with a pro ks hat, the hats killstreaker would show as you gain kills, the same way a passive weapon behaves, like the mantreads. I think this also works with gunboats iirc.

Pro KS Hats will never show their Killstreaker effect.

Just for the sake of it I went on a server right now and did some tests. So I can confirm to you right now this is how it works.
No Killstreak weapons + no KS cosmetics: No Killstreak counter at all.
No KS weapons + KS cosmetics: Killstreak counter on hud + weapons do not increase the Killstreak counter.
Killstreak weapons + KS cosmetics: Killstreak counter on hud + KS weapons do increase KS counter + Killstreaks do not activate hat killstreak even if you switch to a basic or non-KS weapon while on a killstreak.
Pro KS Mantreads: Killstreaker active while in a killstreak and your active weapon is non-KS, basic KS, or Spec KS. Killstreaker effect replaced if active weapon is Pro KS.

Killstreak Hats do not make all your weapons act like basic KS weapons. Pro Killstreak Hats can not activate their Killstreaker effect.

10 hours ago, Tasty Salamanders said:

Pro KS Hats will never show their Killstreaker effect.

Just for the sake of it I went on a server right now and did some tests. So I can confirm to you right now this is how it works.
No Killstreak weapons + no KS cosmetics: No Killstreak counter at all.
No KS weapons + KS cosmetics: Killstreak counter on hud + weapons do not increase the Killstreak counter.
Killstreak weapons + KS cosmetics: Killstreak counter on hud + KS weapons do increase KS counter + Killstreaks do not activate hat killstreak even if you switch to a basic or non-KS weapon while on a killstreak.
Pro KS Mantreads: Killstreaker active while in a killstreak and your active weapon is non-KS, basic KS, or Spec KS. Killstreaker effect replaced if active weapon is Pro KS.

Killstreak Hats do not make all your weapons act like basic KS weapons. Pro Killstreak Hats can not activate their Killstreaker effect.

Thank you for the newfound wisdom, didn't think I'd actually find THE answer here, that's exactly what I was looking for. Glad I learned this before buying one just for the hell of it. Hopefully anyone with the same questions finds this thread

• Brown locked this topic

Archived