Should the site allow prices to go above the crafting recipe?

Jymotion

reason for the topic: http://backpack.tf/vote/id/51552f34ba25364710000028

basically, the current price for Clean Fez's is 4.00-4.11 ref.  However, it can be crafted for 4.05 ref.  Should we document the price people pay for it even if it is irrational?  Or should we try to inform the consumers?

In my opinion, previous trends on the site suggest we should try to inform the consumers to not pay more than 4.05 ref.  We do not price craft hats lower than 1.33 despite them being often sold for less.  Cleverpun recently suggested that we put an indicator on items that are on sale in the store in an effort to keep uninformed consumers from paying too much for items that are flooding the market (and the suggestion was well received).

Opinions?  Please keep it more civil than the fez suggestion comments

We should educate the buyer that they are over paying, but if there is an obvious trend of paying more, just say for a key, then the site should do it's job and report the accurate price.

We should educate the buyer that they are over paying, but if there is an obvious trend of paying more, just say for a key, then the site should do it's job and report the accurate price.

How do we do both?

Maybe people who are lazy to craft or dont have the metal just buy for a key?

However, craft hats are sold for 1.22 and the limit is 1.33. also, unusuals are bought for 12 keys so that's basically the lowest limit. I'm not sure, I closed the last suggestion but I guess I'll leave this one open...

How do we do both?

Just have a disclaimer for all items if their suggested price is above their craft value.

Possibly?  

or maybe people want clean versions, or dont know it can be crafted....

But, if bp.tf shows the price being more than 4.05 ref, then people will start crafting them, the market will get flooded and theyll most probably fall back in price. 

or maybe people want clean versions, or dont know it can be crafted....

But, if bp.tf shows the price being more than 4.05 ref, then people will start crafting them, the market will get flooded and theyll most probably fall back in price. 

Yeah, I agree, the market will fix the issue in time.

Should the price guide account for lazy consumers?  (honest question)

if bp.tf shows the price being more than 4.05 ref, then people will start crafting them, the market will get flooded and they'll most probably fall back in price. 

Keep in mind, the price has included 4.11 for ~3 weeks now.  I'm not so sure people will craft them with the intention of a selling for a 1 weapon profit.  My original question doesn't make a huge difference in this scenario, but it applies to a general philosophy/purpose of the guide.  Remember when people were selling Cozy Campers for keys to people who thought they were miscs and didn't realize they could be crafted for far less?  People were selling the Fruit Shoot for more than the crafting recipe as well when it came out.

dropped stuff sells better and faster than crafted stuff, maybe thats a reason to allow higher pricing.

Fez doesn't have a craft number. Once you wipe the crafter's name, it's exactly the same as a dropped one.

In all honesty, the high end should technically be the craft recipe.  Although some may not know it is craftable, it is always "for sale" at that price, and it's never out of stock.

Unlimited supply at 4.05 (to me) means that it should be a maximum of 4.05.

Protecting consumers goes both directions; if people can buy an item cheaper we need to inform them, and if people can sell their item for more we need to inform them too.

If people are consistently paying more than the craft cost we need to inform people of that. We also need to inform people they can get it for cheaper. I'm going to repeat myself and say that a marker or tooltip that states the crafting cost should be part of the pricelist for fezzes (possibly other items too, although it only seems to be notable with the fez). That way we can report what people are buying and what it costs to craft at the same time, should the two values differ.

because f*** logic, we are here to report price on how the market pay it.
it the box all over again.
why do someone pay $20 worth of keys for something worth $14 and why would someone pay more for something from the package than the whole package

because f*** logic, we are here to report price on how the market pay it.

it the box all over again.

why do someone pay $20 worth of keys for something worth $14 and why would someone pay more for something from the package than the whole package

It's not the box all over again though.  What if some people don't have $14 cash until their next payday or something and they want the box?  Pay extra.

With this, they have the currency with them right there, and are paying more than it costs to craft it.  It makes no sense.

It's not the box all over again though.  What if some people don't have $14 cash until their next payday or something and they want the box?  Pay extra.

With this, they have the currency with them right there, and are paying more than it costs to craft it.  It makes no sense.

what if some people don't have refined and they want the fez but too lazy to sell the key for metal ? Pay extra.

what if some people don't have refined and they want the fez but too lazy to sell the key for metal ? Pay extra.

It's much easier to sell a key for metal than it is keys to cash or any of that.  If they want to be lazy and overpay, then let them. 

Fact of the matter is that there is an unlimited supply at 4.05, so there really isn't any reason it should be more than that.

The current price is 4~4.11, people usually charge .11 for a single weapon (which is needed to craft a Fez)

I don't even see the issue.

The current price is 4~4.11, people usually charge .11 for a single weapon (which is needed to craft a Fez)

I don't even see the issue.

Then why aren't normal weapons listed as 0.05-0.11 in the pricelist?

I also meant for it to be a generalized discussion.

Archived