So what even is the definition of "fixing the economy"?

Uncle Dang

Title says it all, there's a lot of meming going around about TF2's economy being broken (which I partially agree with a bit, but usually it's for the opposite reasons I ever hear), generally citing the ridiculous refined-key pair price. Thing is, judging from sites, there's lots of stable demand for commodity items, stranges, and regular hats, so the "economy" can't be dead. What does seem mostly dead is "trading" (where you sit on a server for hours on end trying to hustle a ridiculous 20% margin deal).

From my point of view, it's not entirely bad for old-school trading to be gone, because any regular, sane player doesn't want to have to ask around servers for 2 hours trying to find someone who scrapbanked the whole suite of drop weapons or happens to have the single craft hat they want; it's inarguably better to just open up scrap.tf or backpack.tf and get what you want in 2 minutes tops with minimal markup. With that in mind, I kinda think the woes about the economy is mostly just hucksters complaining that they can't price gouge or lowball as much anymore when there's easy access to a 100,000 person market (instead of just 31 people max on the server).

So what's broken about TF2's economy and what does fixing it mean? (I'm genuinely curious what the popular opinions and reasoning are, this isn't just me trying to debunk all of Youtube)

Most people who bitch about the economy are the ones who complain on firepowered when nobody will buy their shit full price or bitch when someone wont quicksell them something for like 90% off

The majority of topics you see on the matter have two things in common

1) the person posting is either not making profit or not making as much profit as they were

2) the fix would make them profit

In lieu of this its mostly just whining and spam

the economy is changing, has been changing and won't stop changing; for everyone who makes a key, someone 'loses' one

The economy isn't really broken, it's just evolved.

Probably the biggest change over the years has been the widening gap between the key market and the sub-key or refined market. With the continuing deflation of the low value items, combined with the prevalence of automated trading, it is much harder for a person to build themselves up from nothing. Unfortunately, people can't seem to grasp that and/or balk at the idea of investing anything (money, effort, or time), and then because keys and unusuals don't immediately start flowing in, blame the economy for all their woes. Really, it just winds up coming across as a bunch of sour grapes to those of us who have been in the trading scene for quite some time.

it's a fantasy low-tier traders have of being able to buy a key with 3 ref even though they're 8 years late to the party. Nothing's broken about the economy, its just that our one currency for low-tier trading has gone way down in value due to newer players, which probably does more good for the game than bad. If we really wanted, we could all rally together and delete 90% of the refined metal in existance to drive the price back up, but it wouldnt change much. Same goes for unusual taunts but theyd prob go back down not too long after

10 hours ago, Scott Bakula said:

The economy isn't really broken, it's just evolved.

Probably the biggest change over the years has been the widening gap between the key market and the sub-key or refined market. With the continuing deflation of the low value items, combined with the prevalence of automated trading, it is much harder for a person to build themselves up from nothing. Unfortunately, people can't seem to grasp that and/or balk at the idea of investing anything (money, effort, or time), and then because keys and unusuals don't immediately start flowing in, blame the economy for all their woes. Really, it just winds up coming across as a bunch of sour grapes to those of us who have been in the trading scene for quite some time. 

Add to it that trading communities are also welcomed the minority who tries to accumulate all the capital in their hands without regulating them. So, the market became libertarian after capitalism.

Archived