Dota 2 trading guide?

solpan

its hard because prices are constantly fluctuating as they keep releasing new things

Your $100 item may be worth $10 tomorrow

• 3 weeks later...

It's difficult to trade up in Dota in the same way as you can in TF2 or CSGO. There's no 'pure' currency item to work around and many items can't be traded.

I've instead profited of the Dota economy by predicting market fluctuations - buying low and selling high. This has been by:

1. Buying items worth around $10 when the compendium is released, then selling them when they return to their normal price. Many people will just sell their items to get the compendium without worrying about a good price.

2. Predicting the arcana item. Every year there is an arcana vote for a new hero, and then it is released in several moths. On release, people buy the arcana and then try to buy items for the other slots to make the hero look even better. This sends the other items up. To do this properly you need to study the arcana item slot patterns (for example, Valve usually doesn't release it in the same slot as an existing immortal). Items that are in the same slot as the arcana can drop, so be careful.

These are just a few examples, and I don't mind sharing them because they've been working less and less as years have passed. Most of my multi-month ventures require me to put up hundreds, have given a 10-30% return each time and have been based on a study of the historical seasonal data.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2019 at 10:51 AM, Torr. said:

its hard because prices are constantly fluctuating as they keep releasing new things

Your $100 item may be worth $10 tomorrow

That is not true for "liquid" items which are the ones with the most trade/sale volume such as Arcanas, or higher tier bettable items. Those tend to have a pretty stable price, much more reliable and stable than unusual prices.

OP: your best bet is to quickbuy some of those more expensive "liquid" items such as Dragonclaw Hook for TF2 keys and sell them again for for a couple of keys profit. Nowdays even that is hard to do, and that is by far the least complicated way to profitably trade in Dota2.

• 1 month later...

Archived