SCAMMER story (How to keep your items safe)

Shovel.png

Hey Guys Shovel.PNG(also known as Sensei) here, I would like to talk to you guys about one of the most scummy things in tf2(and basically any online game with an economy), scammers. If you have no idea what a scammer is, it defined as someone engaged in fraudulent behavior and whose goal is to rip off other people and make a quick buck for themselves. There are of course many videos on YouTube talking about scams due to it being a hot topic and it gets good views, but I am here today as a person on the internet and am talking to you who is also a person on the internet here to inform you about  one of the worst moments in my tf2 career or whats left of it anyways. A few weeks prior to the scam I had added 75$ to my steam account and purchased keys from the community market. At the time I really wanted to main heavy so I had used my money to buy keys which I then traded for a specialized killstreak australium minigun and 4 mvm tickets as I wanted to complete my first operation 2 cities tour in hopes I'd get another aussie. Now keep in mind that I have been around in the tf2 community for 5 years but mainly as a player/low tier trader. I hadn't really experienced something like this. The closest thing that happened to me before this was 4 years ago when my account was hijacked and used to impersonate a famous tf2ber named Muselk but that's a story for another time. So I spent thee next few days grinding on mvm in hopes I would get an aussie and sure enough I ended getting my first aussie which was an australium scattergun on my first tour completion(4 missions of 2 cities)  and I was super happy. After a few weeks of using it I decided I wanted to sell it as I dont main scout and would like to get in the unusual trading scene, so I went on the backpack.tf classifieds and see this person(nameless for the sake of privacy and not the scammer) wanting to buy the scattergun for 24 keys pure. I sent him a trade offer and instantly someone impersonating the buyer adds me and I don't realize it. So we started chatting and he was talking about wanting the definition index of the scattergun and I had no idea what it was and asked him to explain. He sens me a phishing link and tells me to log in to it and find it. After a few minutes he  tells me to send the same trade offer to one of my friends and as that happened he impersonated one of my friends that was online using an alternate account and I ended up losing not only my scattergun, but my minigun and other valuable items along with it. I ended up reporting both his profiles on backpack.tf and steam and managed to get them banned on the site but Im still kind of sad that it happened and I'm determined to getting my account to how it was before through scrap banking. Overall this just sucked for me as I had to also change my credentials and I also developed trust issues with people online. At the moment I'm currently still a low tier trader and still scrap banking so I can restore my account to its former glory. Make sure to check other peoples profiles when you trade  or you might lose value when you least expect it. Use Rep.tf and SteamRep.com to check the trader's status. Still pretty sad and trying to recover though, this is just for those getting into the trading scene.

Don't believe me, here is my backpack.tf profile. Make sure to check the graph of my backpack. It will give u a better idea of how much I lost. (https://backpack.tf/profiles/76561198115426028 )

Here's the chat log and the trade offers to back it up: https://imgur.com/gallery/tX1eiVH

23 minutes ago, Shovel.png said:

Hey Guys Shovel.PNG(also known as Sensei) here, I would like to talk to you guys about one of the most scummy things in tf2(and basically any online game with an economy), scammers. If you have no idea what a scammer is, it defined as someone engaged in fraudulent behavior and whose goal is to rip off other people and make a quick buck for themselves. There are of course many videos on YouTube talking about scams due to it being a hot topic and it gets good views, but I am here today as a person on the internet and am talking to you who is also a person on the internet here to inform you about  one of the worst moments in my tf2 career or whats left of it anyways. A few weeks prior to the scam I had added 75$ to my steam account and purchased keys from the community market. At the time I really wanted to main heavy so I had used my money to buy keys which I then traded for a specialized killstreak australium minigun and 4 mvm tickets as I wanted to complete my first operation 2 cities tour in hopes I'd get another aussie. Now keep in mind that I have been around in the tf2 community for 5 years but mainly as a player/low tier trader. I hadn't really experienced something like this. The closest thing that happened to me before this was 4 years ago when my account was hijacked and used to impersonate a famous tf2ber named Muselk but that's a story for another time. So I spent thee next few days grinding on mvm in hopes I would get an aussie and sure enough I ended getting my first aussie which was an australium scattergun on my first tour completion(4 missions of 2 cities)  and I was super happy. After a few weeks of using it I decided I wanted to sell it as I dont main scout and would like to get in the unusual trading scene, so I went on the backpack.tf classifieds and see this person(nameless for the sake of privacy and not the scammer) wanting to buy the scattergun for 24 keys pure. I sent him a trade offer and instantly someone impersonating the buyer adds me and I don't realize it. So we started chatting and he was talking about wanting the definition index of the scattergun and I had no idea what it was and asked him to explain. He sens me a phishing link and tells me to log in to it and find it. After a few minutes he  tells me to send the same trade offer to one of my friends and as that happened he impersonated one of my friends that was online using an alternate account and I ended up losing not only my scattergun, but my minigun and other valuable items along with it. I ended up reporting both his profiles on backpack.tf and steam and managed to get them banned on the site but Im still kind of sad that it happened and I'm determined to getting my account to how it was before through scrap banking. Overall this just sucked for me as I had to also change my credentials and I also developed trust issues with people online. At the moment I'm currently still a low tier trader and still scrap banking so I can restore my account to its former glory. Make sure to check other peoples profiles when you trade  or you might lose value when you least expect it. Use Rep.tf and SteamRep.com to check the trader's status.

Don't believe me, here is my backpack.tf profile. Make sure to check the graph of my backpack. It will give u a better idea of how much I lost. (https://backpack.tf/profiles/76561198115426028 )

Here's the chat log and the trade offers to back it up: https://imgur.com/gallery/tX1eiVH

Report them, then. This is no place to witchhunt, but sorry to hear you were scammed.

I already did, just wanted to share my experience. also steamrep dosen't give marks for phishing scams

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Hope that it goes better for you in the future.

27 minutes ago, Shovel.png said:

This is just for those getting into trading so they don't make the same mistake I did

so u impersonate some famous youtuber in order to tell other people not to do the same thing?

wat.

6 minutes ago, Bocks said:

so u impersonate some famous youtuber in order to tell other people not to do the same thing?

wat.

I had mentioned about my account being hijacked and used to impersonate another YouTuber. I wasn't in control of my account at the time. And after I got my account back I had appealed and the mods removed my ban

You might as well have just put "Double check profiles of people you are trading with/have trade offers with" literally no point with the story & useless info around it. 

yikes

On 7/5/2019 at 3:52 PM, Sprekt said:

https://backpack.tf/trust/76561198115426028

That's unfortunate to hear :')

I had mentioned that my account was hijacked by an impersonator and  it was used to impersonate a famous youtuber.If ur wondering why Im not steamrep marked, I had also filed an appeal and got my tag removed and showed proof to the mods for my account to be hijacked.

Archived