Baloo

In honor of Valentine's Day and my love for this site, I have decided to do a little quasi-raffle!

The winner will receive my Clan Pride crafted by Brad Pitt  :)

The Clan Pride has a decal of Brad's profile picture, and has been my informal, knock-off of the Gentle Manne's Service Medal for serving this site.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, for the reasons why this is a quasi-raffle:

Unfortunately, many people do not care about backpack.tf as I do, and would simply seek to resell the medal or not appreciate as others might. Therefore, I am only allowing those I deem, at my discretion, to have earned the right to own the medal and will choose the entry I see best fit.

The rules for entry are rather simple, and are as follows:

• If you'd like to have a chance to win the Clan Pride, then simply write me a private message over these forums telling me why you believe you deserve it, and how your own personal thoughts about the site.

There's no word count. It can be funny, it can be serious, it can depict your lack of a social life. Whatever you want to write is up to you  :D

Moderators are allowed to enter, and Brad, too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Messages are allowed to be submitted up until February 14th, 2014 at 12:00 pm. I will then announce the winner sometime that night after thoroughly reading through all the messages and post the winning message* to this thread before requesting it to be locked.

*Special Note: If you would not like your message, or parts of your message, shared, then simply indicate that on your message, and I will be sure not to include it.

♥ Happy Valentine's Day ♥

(sorry about all the crappy formatting)

• Administrators

Thank you for the raffle. I will think about this and write ya a private message if I decide to enter. :D

Only if I knew what to say :(

All the entries so far are just people saying that they won't resell the medal, so if you actually get that the point of this is to say why you love backpack.tf, then you'll be miles ahead of the current 5 entries.

All the entries so far are just people saying that they won't resell the medal, so if you actually get that the point of this is to say why you love backpack.tf, then you'll be miles ahead of the current 5 entries.

Was I first comment not to say I wouldn't resell it?

(I won't, but thought it'd be a waste of your time reading the same thing over and over again)

*GAH*

I honestly feel like you all deserve the medal way more than I do xD

More exerienced

Better bp's

Been here longer

Most likely better at the game ( i suck :P)

But I'm still entering anyways, for the heck of it, I guess.

*GAH*

I honestly feel like you all deserve the medal way more than I do xD

More exerienced

Better bp's

Been here longer

Most likely better at the game ( i suck :P)

But I'm still entering anyways, for the heck of it, I guess.

you stand no chance, my entry is by far better

Joined, should he better than Chigga's entry. Feel free to fully or partially post it, I meant everything in the letter

i think we can all agree i have the best letter. 

UaG7uCH.png

Alright, final note. First, I'd like to thank all who entered for your entries and hope you all had a merry Valentine's Day  :wub:

Unfortunately, there can be only one winner, and after carefully reading and assessing each entry, I have decided that the winner. This user embodies the message that backpack.tf is part of the greater Team Fortress 2 community, and assists all its members. He is an experienced contributor to the site, and I believe would fully appreciate owning this medal. I'm not one for introductions, so that's about all I got. Without further a due...the winner is...drum roll please...

Drum_roll__please_by_lanilioness.gif

dabaers ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

His entry:

I know that I'm not the oldest member on backpack.tf or the most liked or the best suggestor or any of that. In fact I've only been actively contributing to the site for the past 4 months or so, not really great friends with any particular member and I'm a pretty bad suggestor to be honest. However, the time in which I has been involved with the site has been the best I have had in a very long time. I know that sounds really lame, pathetic even, but it's true.

In my real life, I feel alone and left out by those that could be considered friends. Anything they do, I'm not involved and my word isn't taken seriously. But backpack.tf has changed all of that. Here, with all the blissful anonymity that the internet brings, I feel like I AM involved with something and my word IS taken with more than a grain of salt. I get such an amazing feeling of belonging when people critique my suggestions, answer to my opinions, or help me out. It makes me feel accepted when I have yet to learn how to accept myself.
backpack.tf has also given me the feeling that I actually contribute to society. It sounds dumb comparing a website to all of society itself but backpack.tf is more than a website. It is its own little community (growing larger by the day) and one of the few places where I feel comfortable. Contributing my very own suggestions that helps improve and keep the site up to date with the market gives me a sense of what it would be like if I could actually contribute to society.
I guess you could compare me wishing to have the medal as a soldier receiving his lovers photograph before he goes off to war. Sure, there is no war to be fought but life itself but the photograph reminds the soldier of what he loves even through all of his fighting in that war called life. He fights through, hoping that he can return to the person he loves.

<3 Happy Valentines day! <3
-dabaers 

Now, since there were so many good entries to decide on, I've chosen to make two runner-up spots and present each with a key for their time and effort they put into their entry and all they do for backpack.tf.

The two runner ups are:

Pyroman and Puddingkip

If you'd like to read through their entries, then simply look through the spoilers below  :D

Runner Up #1

Pyroman's:

Well, I'll start off saying what made me join this site.

I basically have nothing better to do in my time (besides studying) - I spend 90% of my time playing on Steam and doing random stuff on TF2. As you might know, ever since I started trading I've been the one poor beggar that never had anything good in his backpack and whenever he could spare any dime he wasted it on gambling, out of which he didn't get anything good. So I thought, that was going nowhere, and I realised I could probably be better off wasting my time somwhere else.

Then I remembered backpack.tf and its pricing system. I thought it'd be a great idea to apply for mod - I remembered having seen the announcement on the forums a while before that - I believed helping the trading community out would be much more productive than opening worthless crates. However, I of course needed some experience on the site itself first, and needed to known. 

On June 22nd, 2013, I posted my very first suggestion on the site, on the Genuine AWPer Handhttp://backpack.tf/v...bd7b8db1d000004

I know, it's probably got some really crappy proof, and even though it wasn't accepted, it served to me as a motivation. A motivation to keep on suggesting that Vincent subtly left in his "Closed for insufficient proof" comment. And so, a few days later, I made http://backpack.tf/v...a2536227a000001

It got passed, thanks to Puddington, and so ever since then I just dedicated myself to update prices on this wonderful website whose community received me... not so well at first, but I later became an important part of, I should say.

And after about a month of suggesting I became part of the forums. Here I met a lot of great (and not-so-great) people and stories. From rants to plugs to hate threads to warnings and to sad stories, all this community has given has been a wild ride that I probably wouldn't have gone through anywhere else, and I'm thankful for all of that. I spend here perhaps most of the time of my day, and, while that might be sad for some, I enjoy it and I like every single one of this forum's members. (no homo)

Maybe anyone would say I'm not the perfect suggestor nor the best applicant for mod, and that I was extremely obnoxious, annoying and inmature at many times in the past.

Well, I've actually got nothing to say, besides that despite all of the things I may have done I love this community and its supporters, as well as the mod team and Brad Pitt.

Ownership of the Backpack.tf Service Medal represents selfless dedication to the site and its community. You possess this quality, Baloo, and it has earned you said medal that Brad Pitt himself crafted. Owning it would be VERY meaningful to me, since I've spent countless hours trying to make of this site the best of all (while sometimes not, but that's been my cause)  :D

You are the judge, and you are the one to decide who is to be the next owner of this medal.

Runner Up #2

Puddingkip's:

Dear Baloo, Delft, February 12 2014

Regarding my love for you, Brad and backpack.tf I'm writing you this letter.
When I first started using backpack.tf I looked up to the great suggesters of the time, you, Long, Peasant and Hugh. After around a month I started my first suggestion. It wasn't good, and everybody laughed at me. Not you, you gave me constructive criticism and attempted to help me. It didn't help, I was an idiot, but ever since I've been looking up to you. I started copying your style for my own suggestions, because you were helpful and good. You're the one that turned me into a full-time suggester:) 

When I joined the forums a few months later, I stalked for a few weeks without posting and then dared to comment. You were still funny and helpful as ever. When I heard you left a few months back I was genuinely devestated. You had been my mentor and first friend (even though you didn't know that). Luckily, we saw you back after a few weeks when you had resolved your real-life problems. 

Now for Brad. For the first few weeks I was dumb enough to think he was the actual Brad Pitt, then I read the FAQ and realised it wasn't him. He looked distant in the first weeks, he barely commented or suggested (only an ancient ref suggestion I believe) and didn't accept or reject. It took me a few months to realise he had scripted the whole thing and did all the behind the scene work. I had always wanted a backpack expander gifted by Brad Pitt and have it renamed "backpack.tf expander" because I have no inspiration. 
His site has greatly helped me profit and not lose all my money when I started trading. I helped myself by making over 100 suggestions, and over 70 unusual suggestions before I retired from trading and TF2. I donated $10 because I loved the work and the site and wanted to keep it running. 

I so far have collected a Woifi painted and history medic mask and a jjon history shirt. I will keep these forever to always remember backpack.tf and the great people there, a giant relief inside the shit-infested world we know as TF2. I hope you can honour me by giving me the Brad signed item. I have no interest in trading anymore, I haven't traded in months and most likely never will again.

Archived