Good Disc Utility to recover an unreadable drive

AwesomeMcCoolName

My laptops SSD is unreadable by my mac, so is there any good utility program that i could run (on a mac) thats free to try and read whats on the drive? --I want to make sure theres nothing on it before i ship it to Crucial to get fixed, and/or try a fresh install (depending on what the issue is--corrupt vs. damaged). 

Do you have any other computers on hand you can try it with? You can try powercycling it, but other than that there isn't much you can do with a dead SSD other than RMA it. 

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/tkb/articleprintpage/tkb-id/ssd@tkb/article-id/32

already tried that. 

And its an external drive, so i have my mac has another computer.

i have my mac has another computer.

I see.

Well if it's external you might not be SOL. On the other hand, pulling the case apart to plug it in directly would void your warranty. 

I see.

Well if it's external you might not be SOL. On the other hand, pulling the case apart to plug it in directly would void your warranty. 

lemme clarify, internal drive from another computer, connected externally. 

lemme clarify, internal drive from another computer, connected externally. 

Aha, that makes a lot more sense. :P

Well unfortunately you are probably out of luck. There are no free+reputable SSD data recovery options that I know of, and I think when you see the quotes from the non-free services out there, you will realize you don't need that data so badly after all. :/

Aha, that makes a lot more sense. :P

Well unfortunately you are probably out of luck. There are no free+reputable SSD data recovery options that I know of, and I think when you see the quotes from the non-free services out there, you will realize you don't need that data so badly after all. :/

Yeah, i don't think theres anything on it that i really need, i just can't remember if theres anything that i haven't backed up (like paypal logs/stuff like that). 

Your data is lost if it does't detect drive, i hear their a way to cycle it and make it detect again kinda forgot how.

I think you need put it on power for like an hour without it being connected to sata then unplug it for an hour and repeat few times.

Search thru google power cycling ssd though might not work.

Your data is lost if it does't detect drive, i hear their a way to cycle it and make it detect again kinda forgot how.

I think you need put it on power for like an hour without it being connected to sata then unplug it for an hour and repeat few times.

Search thru google power cycling ssd though might not work.

yeah, that was the first thing i did. 

Ah, a bit late but I've had my fair share of dead SSDs so here's some of my experience in the field. 

Is the drive your OS drive?
Did you try the drive on another computer as a single main drive or as a secondary partition? Sometimes the drive will be recognized or at least the OS will boot with a damaged non-primary drive attached to it, after which you can try HDD tools (if the failure is logical)
Did you try the drive on a non-OS X machine? There are millions of excellent maintenance tools for Windows. I personally use the bootable "UBCD" cd (google Ultimate Boot CD) which comes with sets of programs for each area of hardware - cpu, mem, hdd, peripherals..etc. You can do miracles with dead drives (one of the program is not compatible with SSDs yet). If all programs fail with errors or simply freeze the computer, you can safely return your drive for DOA. No one repairs physically broken hdds and ssds. 

Ah, a bit late but I've had my fair share of dead SSDs so here's some of my experience in the field. 

Is the drive your OS drive?

Did you try the drive on another computer as a single main drive or as a secondary partition? Sometimes the drive will be recognized or at least the OS will boot with a damaged non-primary drive attached to it, after which you can try HDD tools (if the failure is logical)

Did you try the drive on a non-OS X machine? There are millions of excellent maintenance tools for Windows. I personally use the bootable "UBCD" cd (google Ultimate Boot CD) which comes with sets of programs for each area of hardware - cpu, mem, hdd, peripherals..etc. You can do miracles with dead drives (one of the program is not compatible with SSDs yet). If all programs fail with errors or simply freeze the computer, you can safely return your drive for DOA. No one repairs physically broken hdds and ssds. 

already have ubcd, but that doesn't help without a windows computer around to use it on. 

Im quite sure my ssd is just fried as theres nothing i could do to get it recognizable. 

My last faulty SSD wouldn't boot as secondary drive and would just freeze the OS on load. I managed to delete the partition with UBCD, which ultimately erased all data and managed to begin OS installation. Of course it crapped out midway but I was sure then that the problem is physical and that there's no sensitive data on it before I return it to the store (You can never be too careful with sensitive information). It would be great if you can get it tested on a PC machine, attempt a partition erase, format.. all the bad-for-information things. Good luck!

I really really stopped buying SSDs.. Wasted good amount of money on them - none survived for more than 6 months!

Archived