Do you accept offers from private inventories ?

Wsdea

Hi all, 

Given this and that I have been adding a few extra steps to accept trade offers. However, they are slowing me down when I use the mobile app so I want to know if there is a different way to check that items I receive are really from TF2.

If I get an offer from a public inventory, I click on "Counter offer" and "Add item" to quickly see if the items I receive are coming from a TF2 inventory. If they are, I can see that they are missing in their inventory.

If I get an offer from a private inventory, I decline the offer.

Do you have a similar process ? How to quickly check items in the case of private inventories ? Do you accept offers from private inventories ?

Thank you for your answers

20 minutes ago, Infernape said:

Private is an instant no all the time 

Private collectors are fairly common nowadays, not sure why it would be an instant no - 

many fake items aren't for items you'd normally see in a trade offer. If you get an offer of a gpan from a private inventory, that would be sketchy and you would try to avoid that. Fake games with very specific tf2 unusuals aren't rly faked, and that type of scamming is very uncommon nowadays anyway. 

37 minutes ago, j58 said:

Private collectors are fairly common nowadays, not sure why it would be an instant no - 

many fake items aren't for items you'd normally see in a trade offer. If you get an offer of a gpan from a private inventory, that would be sketchy and you would try to avoid that. Fake games with very specific tf2 unusuals aren't rly faked, and that type of scamming is very uncommon nowadays anyway. 

I’ve only received a trade offer from a private inventory once and that was a unique tundra top for my aces high one.

By instant “no” I’m referring to adds from private inventories, and maybe offers

1 hour ago, Mrs TS said:

Nope.  Legit traders have nothing to hide.

Not always true, take Darth Chicken Gaming for example, I don't think I've ever seen his steam profile be unprivated

But in most cases yes you are correct

8 hours ago, j58 said:

The fact that this is uncommon doesn’t mean I don’t need to check it. 

3 hours ago, Scott Bakula said:

Nah. Private inventories and profiles are an automatic no.

The thing is that for low tier trading (keys, taunts, Tod tickets) some people just joined tf2 and haven’t unprivated their inventory. What do you do in this case ?

12 minutes ago, Wsdea said:

The thing is that for low tier trading (keys, taunts, Tod tickets) some people just joined tf2 and haven’t unprivated their inventory. What do you do in this case ?

You tell them that you don't trade with people with private inventories and that it's common courtesy in trading to have your inventory set to public...

Sometimesz they Just have a private inventory to avoid being harassed or scammed because they have very expensive items. I met a Dude in the TF2 forums that had a Golden pan, but would almost always private his inventory

2 hours ago, Alecto said:

You tell them that you don't trade with people with private inventories and that it's common courtesy in trading to have your inventory set to public...

So basically there is no way to check that their item is from TF2 if they have a private inventory ?

4 hours ago, Wsdea said:

That would require me to be involved in low-tier trading.

If it's low tier stuff, I mostly deal with the SCM, scrap.tf, or just throw the item away. Practically any interaction with humans over my cheaper stuff is people making one way trades begging for me to give them stuff for free, which I reward with a block.

Archived