unusuals

MLG mase

I am not sure if this is where I would be posting this so sorry if this is the wrong place to talk about this.

I recently got 2 unusuals both of which there are very few of and therefore have no prices set yet. And I am the kind of person that goes by prices and doesn't just make things up. I also am new to unusual trading as I just unboxed my first 2 unusuals so this is actually a problem for me.

I unboxed 2 unusuals both of which are fairly nice but I would like to be able to sell for a scout unusual of some kind, problem is that they don't have prices so I was thinking about it and was wondering. Is there some way that we can make a formula for new unusuals.

By this I mean when a hat does not have a price set due to sales then depending on the hat and the effect it will have a kind of like base line area of where to sell it.

For example 1 hat I unboxed was a Hound Dog with the effect Miami Night. So for example would it be possible that because its a higher tier hat (for heavy) it would be worth lets say 2 buds and the effect Miami Night is worth 2 buds so we could do 4 buds with the effect and hat added together for a base of what it could sell for initially. I am not saying it should be 4 buds I am using it as an example to try and represent how I am picturing this.

So to explain it 1 more time I will use my other unusual. I got an unusual Gentalman's Gatsby with the effect Phospherous.

the hat could be worth lets say 1 bud default when unusual due to it being a hat less in demand and the effect due to it being a robo effect and not a high tier effect can be maybe 1.5 buds so you just add the hat and effect prices together to get 2.5 buds as a base line for what to sell the unusual around the price of.

I hope this isn't confusing to understand as I am bad at explaining things often. Also if this is the wrong place to talk about something like this I am really sorry and please let me know I will relocate the post.

This would lead to inaccurate prices, which people will just screenshot and say: this hat is so much

also, what would determe the 'price' of the hat and effect?

Just ask someone who's been around the block about them. I would estimate the hound dog to be 3-4 buds, and the gatsby to be 3.

This would lead to inaccurate prices, which people will just screenshot and say: this hat is so much

also, what would determe the 'price' of the hat and effect?

what I was thinking is because there are already "tiers" of effects and hats (low mid and high tiers I don't believe there are any others) then just do a price range. So for example do a vote for the price range of high tier hats and what it should be so for example can do votes such as

2 - 2.5 buds

2.5 - 3 buds

3 - 3.5 buds

3.5 - 4 buds

on and on until an appropriate range and then go on to the next tier down which would be mid and make the high end the low end of a high tier hat so if high tiers were made to being 2 buds on the low end then the mid tiers high end would be 2 buds and if it ends where low end is 1 bud then the low tiers could start at 1 bud and go down from there. And then depending on how popular the hats in the tiers are then thats what would "determine" the value. I am not that good at explaining things as I believe I stated above but yeah. Also that was how I would picture the effects being valued and then afterwards just add the effect price and the hat price based off prices voted for by the community so as I said before if lets say hound dog was set to being 2 buds and the effect also was set to being 2 buds then just do 2 + 2 you get 4 and then it would be a base of 4 buds so people would know based off popularity of a specific hat what to sell it around.

Sorry if this reply was a bit more confusing to read I forgot to skip lines so words aren't as close.

first of all, how many crates? ;c

I am not sure what you mean by that but I am gonna guess you were asking how many crates I went through. I went through about 65 crates before I decided to open a robo crate which got me my first ever unusual the Gentleman's gatsby Phosperhous and then opened a few more (I believe 8 more) and got my hound dog. Opened about 10 more crates after got nothing.

Just ask someone who's been around the block about them. I would estimate the hound dog to be 3-4 buds, and the gatsby to be 3.

forgot to reply to you with the other 2 people I replied to so have to say this in a 2nd post :/

All I really want to say though is thanks for letting me know what you estimate them as I honestly do appreciate it because I have been offered a couple things such as 3 S.F. weapons from 2012 and 2013 (was only about like 18 keys for I believe my Gatsby) and was also offered a C.V. Bolted Bicorne for both my unusuals. Not sure if it would have been a good deal or not but yeah doesn't seem like it would've been. Thanks again!

your issue is that you believe prices are "set" by backpack.tf; when in reality backpack.tf is meant to be a reflection of what things sell for. you could do all the stuff in your example and say you had a 4 bud hat in that miami hound dog; but if nobody is willing to pay that much, it's obviously not a 4 bud hat. if people are willing to let it go for less; it's obviously not a 4 bud hat. you can't dictate prices to a market when there's no way or reason to enforce the set prices.

your issue is that you believe prices are "set" by backpack.tf; when in reality backpack.tf is meant to be a reflection of what things sell for. you could do all the stuff in your example and say you had a 4 bud hat in that miami hound dog; but if nobody is willing to pay that much, it's obviously not a 4 bud hat. if people are willing to let it go for less; it's obviously not a 4 bud hat. you can't dictate prices to a market when there's no way or reason to enforce the set prices.

sorry late response but I know prices aren't set by backpack.tf but most people just end up going by it anyways. Most of the time when I see people buying things for less the backpack.tf they tend to sell said things in a fairly large bulk and will sell the bulk for more. Also I am not saying that I want prices to be set for every hat I am just saying that based off of what the community thinks hats should be priced at due to the hat and effect then that could be a good standard on what to base selling said hat for. So if lets say 80% of the community says my hound dog miami night should be valued at a base of 4 buds due to the hat and effect then I know, well people are willing to pay about 4 buds for it so I could sell for around that price. Sorry if I don't make any sense as I keep saying I am fairly bad at explaining things.

sorry late response but I know prices aren't set by backpack.tf but most people just end up going by it anyways.

Most unusual traders go off their own prices most simply look around on the market to see other sales/b/o of their hat but different effects to get a grasp of how much they should sell theirs. If they are a relatively new trader or one which has alot of money and never learnt the ropes of trading they would use bp.tf.

You obviously dont want to sell too cheap and people wont buy yours if there is one with a better effect for cheaper...etc just set prices which you deem fair based off the current market. You'll be amazed at the amount of people "i make my own prices screw bp" simply make up a number and expect other to pay it, not realising that there is a burning for half thier price then blame bp for not being anle to highball.

Archived