Downloaded a virus

cleverpun

Alright, I did that. I assume going through first time setup means I did it correctly P:

I'll do another malwarebytes scan just to be sure

Thats probably clean install yes, check if any old files still on hard drive if not do last scan with malwarebytes and nod32 if both clean you can pretty much login steam again.

Anyway can't help further untill tomorow if need further help, my tmj dysorder is acting up and i have horrible migraine right now :|

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright, all the scans Im doing are showing up clean, so it looks like the f11 system restore worked.

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice (though some of it was more panic-inducing than I would have liked). Should've just said I had a laptop from the start and avoided the rest of the stuff

(Frankly, if they were a skilled enough hacker to make a virus that spreads over networks (which has happened) they won't be going after tf2 accounts, they'd be going for bank accounts)

Cleverpun, I think you're honestly worrying a bit too much. Did you download the .rar and open all of the files inside of it? Or just download the .rar? I downloaded the .rar, and it's still sitting in my downloads. It's honestly not dangerous at all like that. I might remove it and all, but you get my point.

But... I don't want to stress you further, but I AVG'd the rar and it came out clean. Malwarebytes, however, found the file and deleted it. It's called Trojan.Agent

There are a lot of ways to remove it, you can probably just look it up on youtube

Cleverpun, I think you're honestly worrying a bit too much. Did you download the .rar and open all of the files inside of it? Or just download the .rar? I downloaded the .rar, and it's still sitting in my downloads. It's honestly not dangerous at all like that. I might remove it and all, but you get my point.

But... I don't want to stress you further, but I AVG'd the rar and it came out clean. Malwarebytes, however, found the file and deleted it. It's called Trojan.Agent

There are a lot of ways to remove it, you can probably just look it up on youtube

I opened it, that's why I was panicking

And no, I don't need another lecture about how stupid that was P:

If I overreacted (I didn't) then it's too late now, since my computer has been restored

I opened it, that's why I was panicking

And no, I don't need another lecture about how stupid that was P:

If I overreacted (I didn't) then it's too late now, since my computer has been restored

That's good, I wouldn't take any chances. 

If mwb did all the work by itself, I wouldn't have had to clear my computer :T

If you ran it, it *probably* had you protected. Then again, I wouldn't take chances with this sort of thing

If you ran it, it *probably* had you protected. Then again, I wouldn't take chances with this sort of thing

I ran it twice and both scans detected different things, so that's clearly not true P:

Download malwarebytes

Done.

Malwarebytes isn't the god of removing viruses/malware

It'll remove 65-70% of viruses that maybe present on your computer.

You'll need to run 4-5 different scans with different programs - including a bootable environment (dr.web cure it dvd, kaspersky rescue disk)

Malwarebytes isn't the god of removing viruses/malware

It'll remove 65-70% of viruses that maybe present on your computer.

You'll need to run 4-5 different scans with different programs - including a bootable environment (dr.web cure it dvd, kaspersky rescue disk)

I have downloaded the file that hijackers are currently using for hijacks.

I have scanned it with AVG, Comodo, and Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes was the only one to detect it. 

I agree that there isn't one end-all Antivirus, but for this particular trojan, Malwarebytes is the best option.

Also, other AVs might detect it, but Malwarebytes might be the only one that looks into .RARs and .ZIPs, which is what this file comes as.

I have downloaded the file that hijackers are currently using for hijacks.

I have scanned it with AVG, Comodo, and Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes was the only one to detect it. 

I agree that there isn't one end-all Antivirus, but for this particular trojan, Malwarebytes is the best option.

Also, other AVs might detect it, but Malwarebytes might be the only one that looks into .RARs and .ZIPs, which is what this file comes as.

Comodo's antivirus has always been a bit crap, same with AVG.

Just wondering, is there a .exe file within the .rar/.zip file?

Comodo's antivirus has always been a bit crap, same with AVG.

Just wondering, is there a .exe file within the .rar/.zip file?

Kind of. AVG gives decent real time, and Comodo's antivirus is one of the better free ones.

It's an exe disguised as a picture in a .rar file. People say "Dude explain these photos please: [link to rar]"

Archived