Downloaded a virus

cleverpun

I think I caused this with my Linux fanboying. My apologies   :P

I tried Linux once. My computer crashed several times. Struggled to download Steam. I got my Tux though, so idk.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/statuses/user/1-brad-pitt/?status_id=22934

I stupidly clicked a link from Alex's account while it was hijacked.

Did you disconnect your Internet from your home-network? Hopefully you did because if not, virus can easily travel from one computer to another if your home-network is connected.

Disconnect from your wired or Wi-Fi home network!  :ph34r:

Did you disconnect your Internet from your home-network? Hopefully you did because if not, virus can easily travel from one computer to another if your home-network is connected.

Disconnect from your wired or Wi-Fi home network!  :ph34r:

Connect to your neighbor's!

Alright so I fell for the same scam and follow these steps:

1.Malware Antibytes Quick scan

2.Malware Antibytes full scan

3.Malware Antibytes quick scan

------------------------------------------------TROJAN REMOVAL

1.Download HitmanPro (http://www.surfright.nl/en)

2.Quick Scan

3.Full scan

------------------------------------------------ROOT KIT REMOVAL

1. Use this: http://media.kaspersky.com/utilities/VirusUtilities/EN/tdsskiller.exe

2.Quick Scan

3.Full Scan

------------------------------------------------

MAKE SURE TO DELETE ALL TROJANS NOT LEAVE THEM QUARINTINED.

PLEASE DELETE ALL CACHES AND STUFF FROM YOUR INTERNET BROWSER(S). ( http://lmgtfy.com/?q=How+to+empty+your+cache )

WHEN NOT USING THE INTERNET, UNPLUG THE CABLE.

DON'T KEEP STEAM OPEN INCASE HE DECIDES TO USE IT.

------------------------------------------------

After all of this you should be safe, sucks to see you got scammed security :c

Alright, I did a full scan with malwarebytes, a full scan with AVG (see above), then I did another scan with CCE, and one with TDSSkiller, one with hitman pro, and I cleared all my history (kind of in that order). Now im doing a quick scan with mwb

Should I do one more scan with everything? And is there any way to check if I got everything?

I still haven't logged in on my accounts on own computer, Im using my sisters. I did use the internet on mine, since I needed to dl these programs :/ (my sister has a mac, though, so hopefully my router being connected didnt do too much harm). And I did use skydrive to back up some of my files, was that a dumb idea?

Im scared, please dont leave me QQ

EDIT; the quick scan deleted more stolen data (4 items), so now I'm doing a full scan with mwb and a quick one with hitman pro. I was going to make that computer disconnected from the internet (I hope, I just turned off the bluetooth tracker).

Alright, I did a full scan with malwarebytes, a full scan with AVG (see above), then I did another scan with CCE, and one with TDSSkiller, one with hitman pro, and I cleared all my history (kind of in that order). Now im doing a quick scan with mwb

Should I do one more scan with everything? And is there any way to check if I got everything?

I still haven't logged in on my accounts on own computer, Im using my sisters. I did use the internet on mine, since I needed to dl these programs :/ (my sister has a mac, though, so hopefully my router being connected didnt do too much harm). And I did use skydrive to back up some of my files, was that a dumb idea?

Im scared, please dont leave me QQ

as long its not in public folder thats fine.

Had any clean results yet with malware bytes and other anti virus  if so your probably clean.

I think Im just going to cave in and go buy some blank CDs so I can delete everything. even if the mwb full scan doesnt find anything then theres still no way to be sure.

Can someone link me to some really basic instructions/download links for reinstalling windows/whatever else I have to do?

Reinstalling windows is very very easy (at least with win 7/8). You should not have any problems.~ And if your fan makes so much troubles too, you could simply buy a new laptop. :D

If you want someone to talk during the setup etc, I could give you my skype name.~

Reinstalling windows is very very easy (at least with win 7/8). You should not have any problems.~ And if your fan makes so much troubles too, you could simply buy a new laptop. :D

If you want someone to talk during the setup etc, I could give you my skype name.~

Im going to call a computer shop when they open; if they can give me even a pittance for my old laptops, I might be able to scrape together enough for a lite machine (since paying someone 90 USD to fix a 50 dollar laptop doesn't make much sense P:)

Im going to call a computer shop when they open; if they can give me even a pittance for my old laptops, I might be able to scrape together enough for a lite machine (since paying someone 90 USD to fix a 50 dollar laptop doesn't make much sense P:)

And, i wouldn't pay anyone to do it for you; if anything, buy an install disc (with no cd key) if you don't think you can create an install disc yourself. Actually installing windows is quite easy. 

What brand laptop you have cus some brand laptops have a key combination to do recovery which can also do a clean install.

that won't truly format the drive. 

And, i wouldn't pay anyone to do it for you; if anything, buy an install disc (with no cd key) if you don't think you can create an install disc yourself. Actually installing windows is quite easy. 

that won't truly format the drive. 

I know it's not cost-effective to pay someone to do it, but ive been working on this for 2 days and the stress just isn't worth it anymore. I dont want to sound shallow, but I think trying to do it myself is shortening my life from the panic.

Like I said, Im going to call a computer shop and see if they take trade-ins. My computer is so old its probably not worth anything (hp Pavilion g7), but if Im going to format the drive anyway then buying a new one may not be a bad option

I know it's not cost-effective to pay someone to do it, but ive been working on this for 2 days and the stress just isn't worth it anymore. I dont want to sound shallow, but I think trying to do it myself is shortening my life from the panic.

Like I said, Im going to call a computer shop and see if they take trade-ins. My computer is so old its probably not worth anything (hp Pavilion g7), but if Im going to format the drive anyway then buying a new one may not be a bad option

If you have the funds just buy a new one. You will feel so much better then. And you dont have to fear that the hacker will come back etc.~

if theres any important info on that drive (bank accounts/etc...) then i'd suggest you keep/destroy the drive if you choose to sell the computer. 

if theres any important info on that drive (bank accounts/etc...) then i'd suggest you keep/destroy the drive if you choose to sell the computer. 

Sell? No, only possible thing to do with it is to shredder that shit.

Yes, I read that. But no one should sell a possible infected computer to begin with. And without a drive and a working fan, on a year old computer you wont get shit for it anyways. :P

Will do.

Also, my computers aren't connected to each other, should I reset my router or anything like that? The laptop with the virus on it has been connected to internet periodically (and I used it to upload a few .doc files to skydrive) even though I reset all my passwords (and I logged into skydrive with a single use code) I don't want to take any chances

should chance all passwords including the one of skydrive.

Don't forgot to scan skydrive to, maybe the rar file aka file you downloaded is in folder you backed up along on the skydrive though i asume you did't.

The rar file i talk about is the file aka the virus.

should chance all passwords including the one of skydrive.

Don't forgot to scan skydrive to, maybe the rar file aka file you downloaded is in folder you backed up along on the skydrive though i asume you did't.

The rar file i talk about is the file aka the virus.

I only uploaded things to skydrive manually (ie I checked everything that went up), and it was only word docs. Skydrive doesnt actually allow folder uploads anyway (plus it kept freezing when I tried to upload everything at once, so way less stuff got uploaded than I planned cuz I had to stop it).

do you mean I should change my passwords again? Because I haven't logged onto to any of the accounts I changed on that computer since the virus showed up. Or do you mean I should change my router pass? (another thing I dont know how to do)

I only uploaded things to skydrive manually (ie I checked everything that went up), and it was only word docs. Skydrive doesnt actually allow folder uploads anyway (plus it kept freezing when I tried to upload everything at once, so way less stuff got uploaded than I planned cuz I had to stop it).

do you mean I should change my passwords again? Because I haven't logged onto to any of the accounts I changed on that computer since the virus showed up. Or do you mean I should change my router pass? (another thing I dont know how to do)

Doubt he can acces router now anyway since probably cleaned up system anyway, and a virus cannot really infect a router.

If never heared of viruses infecting other computers over network either.

What i meant is change skydrive password asuming you did't yet.

Doubt he can acces router now anyway since probably cleaned up system anyway, and a virus cannot really infect a router.

If never heared of viruses infecting other computers over network either.

What i meant is change skydrive password asuming you did't yet.

ok, got it. thanks

Don't worry about the router, i doubt anything got on it. 

But, just as a useful tip, you can access your routers setting page by going to: 192.168.1.1 in your web browser; it will then prompt you for a username and password (default name is usually admin and default password is usually password or admin). From there you can manage the various functions of the router (including updating firmware and doing a factory reset). 

I think cleverpun is quite lucky, anyone else would probably lost all he's unusuals.

for HP laptops btw f11 during bootup aka when turn on laptop hit f11 you can do recovery and full clean install, drivers are probably included already but might need to update those after clean install.

Since we speaking about laptop clean install might be lot easy'r to do, i would do this regardless if you plan to swap your laptop, though a clean install should be enough tbh to be 100% save, just dont do a upgrade do a clean installation.

I think cleverpun is quite lucky, anyone else would probably lost all he's unusuals.

for HP laptops btw f11 during bootup aka when turn on laptop hit f11 you can do recovery and full clean install, drivers are probably included already but might need to update those after clean install.

Since we speaking about laptop clean install might be lot easy'r to do, i would do this regardless if you plan to swap your laptop, though a clean install should be enough tbh to be 100% save, just dont do a upgrade do a clean installation.

Alright, I did that. I assume going through first time setup means I did it correctly P:

I'll do another malwarebytes scan just to be sure

Archived