Downloaded a virus

cleverpun

I'm not sure if you play a lot of other games, but if it's mainly TF2 you should try a linux distro sometime (Ubuntu is a nice one). It's generally safer and it works fine for most purposes. Or just dualboot and use Windows when you really need to. 

I don't play any games now that my computer's fan is nearly dead :P

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then you should definitely try it. 

I'm not comfortable reformatting my computer, definitely not comfortable changing its OS--I have to do it all myself, so there's too many things that could go wrong from inexperience P:

I'm not comfortable reformatting my computer, definitely not comfortable changing its OS--I have to do it all myself, so there's too many things that could go wrong from inexperience P:

Ubuntu is really easy to install. I think they even offer install disks for a small fee. When you get the installer on something your computer can read it's not hard at all. 

A fresh install of an os really isn't that hard. For windows you put this disc in, choose fresh install and keep clicking next; then you just have to go search the internet for your graphics/wifi card drivers and you're good. Its actually pretty simple. 

If tryit linux once even tf2 under linux graphics looked like crap under linux.

Anyway linux is't any safer then windows its actualy even more vunrable however its being targeted lot less because not many use linux.

I would just stick to windows.

going to linux for just better security would be like this.

30kbole.jpg

If tryit linux once even tf2 under linux graphics looked like crap under linux.

Anyway linux is't any safer then windows its actualy even more vunrable however its being targeted lot less because not many use linux.

I would just stick to windows.

Your spelling of the word tried is about as correct as the information you're providing.

1) Switching OSes is easy

2) The only way you're going to learn about this stuff is fucking about with it

3) It's really not neccessary to switch OSes

1) Switching OSes is easy

2) The only way you're going to learn about this stuff is fucking about with it

3) It's really not neccessary to switch OSes

It's not really necessary, but if you're doing high-value trading it might be worth it.

It's not really necessary, but if you're doing high-value trading it might be worth it.

If you're doing high level trading, you'd better know how to avoid viruses :P

If you're doing high level trading, you'd better know how to avoid viruses :P

People make mistakes, so extra security measures aren't a bad idea.

People make mistakes, so extra security measures aren't a bad idea.

Not saying they are, just saying that, if he feels he's going to be very reliant on them, maybe he shouldn't.

Paranoia is still best security you can have.

Definitely not true. Best security is common sense + as many other layers of security you can easily manage.

So let me get this straight, did you *just* click a link? or did you download something, do something within the link?

I click on random goo.gl and ad.fly links all the time but I dont get viruses.

: |

So let me get this straight, did you *just* click a link? or did you download something, do something within the link?

The hack was that an SFMer friend who I do not know how he got hacked, sent me a link to download of his pictures for SFM and he wanted me to rate them and touch them up. I did. Downloaded and they were all png files. Nothing wrong. Edited and sent back. Turns out the pngs had shit crypted to them to make antivirus think its just a picture. It was a RAT. He had access to my pc directly. So my paypal, bank, doge/bit/litecoins are gone. Currently formatting my entire hard drive and reinstalling winderps.

The hack was that an SFMer friend who I do not know how he got hacked, sent me a link to download of his pictures for SFM and he wanted me to rate them and touch them up. I did. Downloaded and they were all png files. Nothing wrong. Edited and sent back. Turns out the pngs had shit crypted to them to make antivirus think its just a picture. It was a RAT. He had access to my pc directly. So my paypal, bank, doge/bit/litecoins are gone. Currently formatting my entire hard drive and reinstalling winderps.

Oh well I see,

I guess it kind of helps when you have a dad who is a IT networking guy and uses a commercial grade hardware firewall and content filter at home. :P

I'll be sticking to his wisdom for these things.

Oh well I see,

I guess it kind of helps when you have a dad who is a IT networking guy and uses a commercial grade hardware firewall and content filter at home. :P

I'll be sticking to his wisdom for these things.

Or, you could just not download anything and make people upload any images to imgur. 

Paranoia is still best security you can have.

Paranoia is a disorder. That's like saying Anorexia Nervosa is the best weight gain prevention program you can have.

:/

Paranoia is a disorder. That's like saying Anorexia Nervosa is the best weight gain prevention program you can have.

In all seriousness, it kind of is. 

In all seriousness, it kind of is. 

It is not. Best doesn't just imply best at losing weight. It implies doing so in the most healthy and easy way as well.

Think it was the same link that hit lamebro to kinda curious how he cleaned up he's system and how succesfull he was at it or if he did clean install.

I don't know whether to be annoyed that everyone is going off-topic or impressed that you stayed on topic as long as you did

I think I caused this with my Linux fanboying. My apologies  :P

Archived