Downloaded a virus

cleverpun

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

did you get any scan results yet without finding anything cleverpun ?

Via malwarebytes etc ?

AVG removed 1 trojan horse, so we'll see if mwb finds anything

Malwarebytes is still scanning, AVG found 1 threat and deleted it

Rather drastic, but drop all items in one of puddibgtons alts for a while? Or Woifi, he should have a pretty few empty slots after wasting paying 1400 keys...

Download a copy of W7 installer off the internet, and then just use your cd key to activate it. 

I am very tempted to do that, although I don't have any real backup solutions, so I would lose most of my files :/

Though I suppose I deserve it for being so shortsighted and downloading the thing in the first place

Malwarebytes detected 3 objects, though Im not sure if they are the same ones AVG detected or not

Could be need do 1 more scan each time untill detects nothing, if 3e scan does't help then full fortmat on os main drive and clean install is only thing left to do.

Well this sucks. If I can help you with anything, ask. :/

I may store my items on your account if Im still not sure of my computer's security, but for now I think the virus scans are doing their job.

Thanks though :)

Posted · Hidden by Woifi The Viking, February 9, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by Woifi The Viking, February 9, 2014 - No reason given

Well this sucks. If I can help you with anything, ask. :/

Implies you can ever help anyone with anything

I may store my items on your account if Im still not sure of my computer's security, but for now I think the virus scans are doing their job.

Thanks though :)

If he doesn't have much room, I can also hold your items. I have a lot of bp spaces after I sold most of my keys for Buds. (456 spaces to be exact).

fuck it, Im going to wipe my computer. I'm too paranoid, it's the only way.

Is this the right way to do it?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/choosing-an-advanced-recovery-method

Just full format the drive you install windows on then install anti virus aka malwarebytes and do full scan to be sure your clean though you probably will be if you do clean install.

i would't use that method unless it does full format main drive, aka i would insert the disc and just install from their and fully format main drive.

Just full format the drive you install windows on then install anti virus aka malwarebytes and do full scan to be sure your clean though you probably will be if you do clean install.

i would't use that method unless it does full format main drive, aka i would insert the disc and just install from their and fully format main drive.

I mean will reinstalling windows using those instructions also format it?

When you insert the windows disc, and boot off of it one of the options prior to installing will be: 

"Format/fresh install" or "Override current install" (something along those lines).

Edit: That link is just a recovery of windows, not an install. 

Installing windows is pretty straight forward. Put in the disc, choose where/how to install, and click install. 

Not sure probably not, i would't trust it unless inserted disc and formated main drive where windows is on normaly, then reinstall windows.

I would never use that method you mentioned above atleast if i had unknown malware cus can just slip thru the recovery files.

When you insert the windows disc, and boot off of it one of the options prior to installing will be: 

"Format/fresh install" or "Override current install" (something along those lines).

Edit: That link is just a recovery of windows, not an install. 

Installing windows is pretty straight forward. Put in the disc, choose where/how to install, and click install. 

Not sure probably not, i would't trust it unless inserted disc and formated main drive where windows is on normaly, then reinstall windows.

I would never use that method you mentioned above atleast if i had unknown malware cus can just slip thru the recovery files.

But I don't have my boot disc :/

how do I reset it to factory settings with just my product key?

But I don't have my boot disc :/

how do I reset it to factory settings with just my product key?

You can download an installer disc online. 

http://www.pcworld.com/article/248995/how_to_install_windows_7_without_the_disc.html 

Download the iso for whichever version of windows you have. 

then use the iso you downloaded and either burn it onto a disc, or create a bootable flash drive. 

You can download windows disc just off torrent site, i known its illigal but if you own cd key your self its fine just download a disc without any cracks or anything as you clearly don't need that.

well, malware scan is nearly done, after that Im going to restart my computer and see if I can still use it without reformatting it. Thanks for the advice, both of you

why don't you just reinstall windows?

Because I don't have my boot disc, and i'm incompetent (so there's a high chance Ill do something wrong), so Im saving that as a last resort

well, malware scan is nearly done, after that Im going to restart my computer and see if I can still use it without reformatting it. Thanks for the advice, both of you

Personaly if i known its clean i don't do clean install then again if got lot experience, can take it step further also do 1 scan from safe mode which has higher odds cleaning bad things up.

Alright.

mwb scan finished (6 objects found), and it says I need to restart to remove them properly. Once ive changed all my passwords Ill restart in safe mode and do another set of scans with avg and mwb

Alright.

mwb scan finished (6 objects found), and it says I need to restart to remove them properly. Once ive changed all my passwords Ill restart in safe mode and do another set of scans with avg and mwb

I'm not sure if you play a lot of other games, but if it's mainly TF2 you should try a linux distro sometime (Ubuntu is a nice one). It's generally safer and it works fine for most purposes. Or just dualboot and use Windows when you really need to. 

Archived