New to TF2 and trading, how can I get started?

Arachnimantis

I have 3 keys. 

Also, some guy is offering me like 10 hats (including one Australium hat) for 1 key, is this a good deal?

1 hour ago, Arachnimantis said:

Also, some guy is offering me like 10 hats (including one Australium hat) for 1 key, is this a good deal?

For the most part, no. The average craft hat is worth 1.3 refined, and a key is worth 40.11. This means that a key is worth 30 craft hats.

Also, there is no such thing as an australium hat; just hats painted (australium) gold. Australiums are a type of weapon and are completely different from painted items. And regarding painted items, one big thing to remember is that things are not worth the sum of their parts. Adding things like paint or strange parts to an item can increase an item's value, but it will be nowhere near what the two items separately would go for. For example, applying a 1 key paint to a 2 refined hat won't give you a hat worth over a key, but a hat worth around 4 refined.

In any case, if you're new to the game as well, I really wouldn't suggest jumping straight into trading, but into enjoying the game first. Use those keys to get started, by getting all the different weapons (use scrap.tf, don't go buying them off of the Mann Co. Store) to play around with, then get a decent looking cosmetic loadout for everyone (you don't need unusuals or the like to sport a good look), and maybe a taunt or two. After playing for a while, you'll likely wind up with a goal for your inventory in mind, either short-term (i.e. "I use X Weapon a lot, I should get a Strange version of it") and/or long-term (i.e. "My dream unusual is X") and can go from there. If you were just wanting to trade for the sake of making profit however, don't; you'll make much more money by having any type of job than you would trading, so it's not worth trading just for profit's sake.

21 minutes ago, Coolio said:

I can help you out with beginner tips and spell trading basics etc.

I'm gonna chime in here and suggest not starting with spells

2 minutes ago, Alecto said:

yeah thats true, better to start with stranges/ks items. Simpler to do.

im gunna chime in here and ask u to get into spell trading

9 hours ago, Alecto said:

Archived