Questioning the "Most commonly traded price"

KoDoRiN

Here I'm seeing that backpack.tf highly values the most commonly traded price a lot for their prices. They say quicksell is only 1 factor, but the most commonly traded price > all.

I disagree.

Availability is an important factor too. Let's be honest here. Let's say a ToD Ticket gets traded at 3 ref 100 times, but there's none in the market for 3 ref. 3.11-3.33 gets traded plenty of times too, but not as much as 3 ref. Naturally backpack.tf values the most commonly traded price as 3 ref and accepts it into the range.

http://puu.sh/6PsuH.png

Quoting naknak when keys were being proposed at 6.66: "can you cite a single open trade at 6.66? If there are zero keys for sale at that price, then that's not the price of keys." Realistically, if I wanted a ToD ticket for 3 ref, but I can't find any in the market for 3 ref, then it's not the correct price if there's none in the market for 3 ref, even though it's traded at that value 100 times.

What I'm proposing is this

To factor in the most commonly traded price then you must at least provide one active seller (i.e. not offline) that has not quicksold theirs in less than 30 mins-1 hour. Otherwise, I'm thinking that it should be invalid.

I'm seriously sick and tired seeing the most commonly traded price as a big factor to a suggestion, I never really took it seriously. If there's none in the market for 3 ref, then that is not the correct price.

This is what makes backpack.tf kind of unreliable, realistically why would you ever sell keys at 7 ref when there's buyers at 7 ref? We both know that it can at least get 7.11 within a couple hours. Hell you can find buyers at 7.11. *cough* Awesome *cough* There's a reason why a lot of people don't follow backpack.tf when it comes to things like keys where it heavily relies on the most commonly traded price. 

This is for raising an item of course.

http://backpack.tf/vote/id/52f5a6d54cd7b87b7f8b456f

I had removed the original range and included the two other ranges to make a large jump, instead of a conservative bump. However, even though the original suggested low-range sells fast, it is still happens to be more sales than the others. I went re-suggesting because it is a safer jump, and won't make the paint hype happen.

Maybe you're right, I'm not really sure, but if hype starts, I'm pretty sure the economy will be broke again. Just like the Strange Weapons. Who remembers when the Strange Shotgun is 0.66? It's because of the hype which makes it rose to 2 keys.

I would say the Commonly traded prices which has been included in the range is only to prevent hype. Remaining Neutral on both because I sometimes do large jumps.

http://backpack.tf/vote/id/52f5a6d54cd7b87b7f8b456f

I had removed the original range and included the two other ranges to make a large jump, instead of a conservative bump. However, even though the original suggested low-range sells fast, it is still happens to be more sales than the others. I went re-suggesting because it is a safer jump, and won't make the paint hype happen.

Maybe you're right, I'm not really sure, but if hype starts, I'm pretty sure the economy will be broke again. Just like the Strange Weapons. Who remembers when the Strange Shotgun is 0.66? It's because of the hype which makes it rose to 2 keys.

I would say the Commonly traded prices which has been included in the range is only to prevent hype. Remaining Neutral on both because I sometimes do large jumps.

We both know that hype will sooner or later die out. I'm sure that if you can find at least 1 seller for 2.33 that's not super super young, then 2.33 may perhaps be a correct price. But if you can't find any in the market for 2.33, what's the point of realistically using it as a price? 

You are also taking account for mods closing/accepting your suggestion, this isn't about that.

On items like keys, buds, and tickets, you can't blow off buyer trades like you can on other items. 3 ref is just a very convenient price for sellers so LOTS get sold for 3 ref. I was short on tickets yesterday and put a trade up and got almost 10 adds within a day to sell to me at 3 ref, one even offering to be a constant supplier. 

As you say, an item needs to be available at 3 ref to be in the range. Tickets are readily available at 3 ref. Sure, they get taken up quickly at 3 ref on seller trades just as keys do at 7 ref, but there are just way too many selling at 3 ref to ignore and it is way too easy to buy them at 3. "Quickbuyer" prices imply prices so low that trades rarely happen. They should be ignored because a very small percentage of sales happen at those prices. 3 ref is NOT a "quickbuyer's" price.

See what I mean kodorin? The mods are conservative because of all the hating by the verdants. Ones only hope to right a price is to bash buying trades.

Archived