Can someone explain to me what the "index" of an Unusual is?

Hervé

I've been selling my Unusuals in the past few hours and I've encountered 3 people, who've asked me for the "index" of my unusual. They start to pass links and especially a website called "TF2Prime.com", i didnt click on any links as i have a strict policy of not clicking on any links whatsoever on steam. The first 2 guys asked for my index and i pretended i didnt know what it was because i wanted to really see if they were scamming , they gave up and just decided to accept the trade offer and leave it lol. 

there is no such thing as 'index' or 'pattern' or 'market check' for any items that is tradable.its just a stupid scam.the only thing you would need to do further research on an unusual in tf2 is to check if its clean

Slight add-on to jozu:

There are some reasons to look at an item in detail, but definitely not to click a link or send the item itself anywhere. If it's in your inventory, they can see any detail they should need. For example, there are some differences in skin orientation and wear for war paints, and I've had several people ask to look at those, but all that meant was getting it back in my own inventory so they could do the "inspect in game" option easier. The skin details are very simple for the other person to look at themselves.

As others have said, it is a scam.

That being said items do have a defindex value with is the same for all items (with a few exceptions) and Unusual effects do have their own values and that is the same for all different hats with the same effect so asking for those numbers is completely meaningless, plus they can just be checked on backpack.tf anyhow.

Example: Burning Flames Towering Pillar of Hats - The defindex for the Towering Pillar of Hats is 135 and will be 135 for all copies of that hat. There is no reason to check it because it if was different it would be a different item. If it were 134 it would be a J.Axer's Dapper Topper and if it were 136 it would be a Amber's Rad As All Hell Hat.

Basically asking for the index is asking "Is Hat X, Hat X?" it is completely meaningless question.

And the Unusual value for Burning Flames is 13, you can see it right there in the URL for the Burning Flames Towering Pillar of Hats.

51 minutes ago, Knightfury69 said:

One word.. big scam..

Also... u should totally give those people what u want :)

That's 2 words

Archived