PC build for a friend

HubertSuo

Long time no see Backpack folks! I've been gone soooooo long from TF2 but it's nice to poke nose here sometimes!

So those who remembered me, I'm no expert on PC stuff. I would like your opinion about this.

I have a friend who has issues with his current PC and would like a suggestion with this build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DfbXcY

His budget seems to be around $800 including monitor etc, or about $600 without those. Feel free to edit it around and give an opinion!

He mostly want to play mostly in Ultra settings and FFXIV. So any suggestions?

If he is playing strictly just in tf2, he's gonna want to focus on CPU instead of GPU, since tf2 runs strictly with only CPU for the most part. But getting a nice GPU like a 960 doesnt hurt that badly.

Final Fantasy 14? Okay.

But if he really wants to play, he'll likely need something other than those cheapy boards. If he tries to do a complex move on a cheap keyboard some keys will either not register or stop registering in favor of the new keys.

I'll play around with it for a bit and see what I can come up with.

You also forgot the OS.

Here. How is this. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4PZ2yX

*Changed storage to 250GB NVME + 1TB 7200RPM

*Changed CPU from 2600 to 2600X

*Added aftermarket cooler

*Changed case to Rosewill Line-M. I own this case and you can cram a lot of hardware into it's small frame.
*Changed PSU to modular model.
*Changed out memory from DDR4-3000 to DDR4-2400 with tighter CAS timings. You won't be using integrated graphics so it will be best to use this RAM.
*Changed your keyboards out to appropriate gaming models on a budget. IF he insists that's too much I have some old still-in-box Razer keyboards and mice that I picked up on clearance that I'll sell to him for $20 a pop.

Also, don't be afraid to shop around on Ebay for deals on coolers, cases, and other parts that would be safe to reuse.

3 hours ago, SoranoGuardias said:

*Changed case to Rosewill Line-M. I own this case and you can cram a lot of hardware into it's small frame.
*Changed out memory from DDR4-3000 to DDR4-2400 with tighter CAS timings. You won't be using integrated graphics so it will be best to use this RAM.
*Changed your keyboards out to appropriate gaming models on a budget. IF he insists that's too much I have some old still-in-box Razer keyboards and mice that I picked up on clearance that I'll sell to him for $20 a pop.

He has the All-in-One computer which obviously can't run it well. I'm sure you can't upgrade it? I'll re-edit this post once I get their specs!

But yes, he's mostly concentrating towards Final Fantasy XIV and some other games like Skyrim, Overwatch etc. Nothing with TF2.

The odds of being able to upgrade an AIO PC adequately are laughably dismal, especially among the newer consumer models.

On 3/28/2019 at 7:51 AM, SoranoGuardias said:

Mediocre build

-2600 is fine, 2600x overpriced, can achieve modest oc with stock cooler anyway.

3000mhz ram is essential for Ryzen builds, cas times mean basically nothing between cl15 and cl16, Ryzen chips perform better with higher clock speed ram.

super duper overpriced SSD, not A very good one either, you probably won’t need a hard drive for a lower end gaming pc 500gb ssd is fine for games.

also upgraded you to a 144hz high refresh rate monitor, gameplay is so smooth with a high refresh rate.

also, consider spending more for good peripherals, as a good keyboard, mouse  headset etc is miles better than cheap $7 landfill.

Yeah, don't do that. You won't be pushing 144 frames to justify the refresh rate with a RX580, especially in Final Fantasy 14. A more responsive monitor might be more appropriate than the Sceptre you had listed, but the RX580 does not have enough power behind it to drive a proper 144Hz experience. It's like putting chrome rims on a rusted-up model T.

Going off the original build.

The 2600X has been floating around for ~$165 recently, but don't pay 200 for it. Can stay with a single 500gb sata ssd for ~$50 or 120/250gb ssd with a 1tb hhd if space is a priority. No reason to get nvme in a budget build. Stick with the 3000mhz ram, yes it is beneficial for ryzen and the price difference is minimal. PSU is fine being non-modular if you dont mind working with it, the case will be a little messy but theres no window to look in anyway. The keyboard/mouse/headset are garbage and a waste of money. It would be better to upgrade those later if possible, i'd probably put the money into a better monitor. Can the gpu do 144 fps on something like overwatch? Yes, but definitely not on high settings. I would not go the 144 hz monitor route if you want the highest settings in games.

EDIT: You might want to also consider the i5 9400F. I guess it recently came down in price and it will do better in gaming.

Meh. The 9400F does lack integrated graphics which equals lower power draw, which can be beneficial but not by a large margin. I'd stick with mainstream chips just in case your GPU fails.

Add to that, you can run hybrid graphics solutions which can be beneficial in some respects. For example, on my personal desktop which is an i7 4790, 16GB DDR3, and a GTX 960 4GB, the i7 processes video better than the GTX 960 if I have the system set to use the iGPU. This can be beneficial if you are streaming or enjoy high-definition content. Windows 10 natively supports hybrid graphics solutions and seamless integration.

1 hour ago, SoranoGuardias said:

Meh. The 9400F does lack integrated graphics which equals lower power draw, which can be beneficial but not by a large margin. I'd stick with mainstream chips just in case your GPU fails.

The ryzen cpus recommended above don't have integrated graphics either, which is perfectly fine. The 9400F will outperform those in gaming and is currently $170 on newegg. If only gaming, that would be the better buy.

If he had a budget above $800 I would probably recommend an Intel build. Right now the parts are just not there. I would certainly never recommend a low-tier i5 of any core count.

Also note, the Ryzen part selected supports multithreading which the i5 does not.

I don't know why, this is a budget build. Price is almost exactly the same. MT is nice to have, but won't make a huge difference for games. The i5 will get you better gaming performance straight out of the box on most things. If they are willing to play with an OC on the 2600, then that may be a different story depending on how far they can/want to push it. Obviously they'll need to add better cooling for that.

Archived