Paying one key to whoever can help me resolve my tech problem

Salvage

Hello everyone,

I recently began encountering an issue with my WiFi connection that is extremely annoying and makes playing online extremely unpleasent. Every ~5 seconds my connection completely drops for ~2 seconds, attached is a screenshot of the issue under full network load.

I currently have a connection speed of 50 Mb/s after recently upgrading from a speed of 16 Mb/s after upgrading from a speed of 3 Mb/s. I have never experienced this issue on my 3 Mb/s connection and haven't noticed it while I had 16 Mb/s, although I'm not too certain about whether it occured during that time or not, as I wasn't playing any online games then.

I recently upgraded to Windows 10, that could also be a potential cause of the issue.

If I use the integrated networks card of my computer, which has a pretty bad connection to my router, as opposed to the USB to WiFi adapter with perfect connection to it, the issue is still present but not as bad, the connection drop is still there but shorter and way less severe.

I already tried swapping out the WiFi adapter and the USB port to no avail.

I am really desperate here, I couldn't find anything online that could help me, so to anyone who can help me figure this out, I am paying one pure key.

Thank you, and have a nice day!

issue.png

Hello Steam Friend :D. Hope all is well in the world of MVM. Been months since i played. Do you have any router logs you can post aswell? Similar to say,

03:28:38, 24 Mar. NTP synchronization success
03:28:25, 24 Mar. NTP synchronization start
03:22:36, 24 Mar. CWMP: HDM socket closed successfully.
03:22:36, 24 Mar. CWMP: HTTP authentication success from pbthdm.x.x.x
03:22:35, 24 Mar. CWMP: HDM socket opened successfully.
03:22:35, 24 Mar. CWMP: Set Parameter by TR069 Success.
03:22:35, 24 Mar. CWMP: HDM socket closed successfully.
03:22:35, 24 Mar. CWMP: HTTP authentication success from pbthdm.x.x.x
03:22:35, 24 Mar. CWMP: HDM socket opened successfully.
03:22:34, 24 Mar. CWMP: session completed successfully
03:22:34, 24 Mar. CWMP: HDM socket closed successfully.
03:22:34, 24 Mar. CWMP: HTTP authentication success from pbthdm.x.x.x
03:22:34, 24 Mar. CWMP: HDM socket opened successfully.
03:22:33, 24 Mar. CWMP: HDM socket opened successfully.
03:22:31, 24 Mar. CWMP: Server URL: https://pbthdm.x.x.x; Connecting as user: ACS username
03:22:31, 24 Mar. CWMP: Session start now, server: pbthdm.x.x.x, Event code:
03:22:30, 24 Mar. CWMP: Initializing transaction for event code 2 PERIODIC
03:05:07, 24 Mar. DoS(UDP Loopback): IN=ppp1 OUT= MAC= SRC=xxx.xxx.52.26 DST=xx.xxx.xxx.xxx LEN=40 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=242 ID=9524 PROTO=UDP SPT=55240 DPT=19 LEN=20 MARK=0x8000000
03:00:18, 24 Mar. DoS(UDP Loopback): IN=ppp1 OUT= MAC= SRC=xxx.xxx.52.26 DST=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx LEN=40 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=242 ID=56659 PROTO=UDP SPT=55240 DPT=7 LEN=20 MARK=0x8000000
02:49:19, 24 Mar. Device Disconnected: 192.168.1.114,xxxxxxxxx, amazon-8a15582e9
02:49:12, 24 Mar. 5G Client diassociate from xxxxxxx (IP=192.168.1.114) RSSI=-77 , Rate=81 Mbps
02:48:07, 24 Mar. Device Connected: 192.168.1.114, xxxxxxx amazon-8a15582e9

Also does your router have a help desk page detailing information similar to the following:
5. VDSL uptime: 3 days, 04:37:52
6. Data Rate: 9995 / 39998
7. Maximum Data Rate: 28381 / 81760
8. Noise Margin: 18.9 / 18.2
9. Line Attenuation: 5.4 / 8.0
10. Signal Attenuation: 0.0 / 0.0
11. Data sent/received:

1.2 GB / 27.5 GB

Also how long ago and how long for did you have 16 mb/s? Was this a fibre connection? or standard? FTP , FTC? FTP Hyrbrid?The only reason i ask is because i have had a similar issue in the past where i was fine on standard broadband but as soon as i switched to fibre it became very unstable and would ramp down repeatedly up until the point where the up time for the router would never be more than a few minutes or even hours. Turns out it was because the line from the cabinet to my house was very dodgey in places. Copper to alluminium and back to copper again which would confuse the router via permanently fluctuating gains/noise etc. If you are getting noise/gain/attenuation on the line it would also be more visible via wiifii due to the router having to transmit the drops via the air. Have you tried power line adapters. As my pc is quite some distance away from my router i use DLink Powerline adapters instead of the crappy wiifii dongles

12 hours ago, DanielDee said:

Hey man, I haven't played MvM in a really long while either, should definitely do it again at some point though!

I don't have any router logs available right now, but I will definitely look into it!

I had 16Mb/s for like a month, didn't notice anything in that period because I wasn't playing any games and in pretty much all other online activities the drops aren't noticable except when you are looking for them.

It is fibre now, I honestly don't know what it used to be, but definitely wasn't fibre.

Honestly don't know whether it's FTP or FTC (does FTP stand for File Transfer Protocol in this case or is this something else? What does FTC mean?).

The line to my house should be pure copper.

Ethernet works flawlessly, only WiFi is affected (forgot to mention this in the op), I really don't have the option to use it though.

In the past few days I did manage to figure out the issue in more detail: The drops in connection all stem from packet loss between the router and my computer, there's 100% packet loss when the drops occur, for a few seconds when the USB WiFi dongle is used and shorter and rarer when the network card is used.

11 hours ago, Salvage said:

Hey man, I haven't played MvM in a really long while either, should definitely do it again at some point though!

I don't have any router logs available right now, but I will definitely look into it!

I had 16Mb/s for like a month, didn't notice anything in that period because I wasn't playing any games and in pretty much all other online activities the drops aren't noticable except when you are looking for them.

It is fibre now, I honestly don't know what it used to be, but definitely wasn't fibre.

Honestly don't know whether it's FTP or FTC (does FTP stand for File Transfer Protocol in this case or is this something else? What does FTC mean?).

The line to my house should be pure copper.

Ethernet works flawlessly, only WiFi is affected (forgot to mention this in the op), I really don't have the option to use it though.

In the past few days I did manage to figure out the issue in more detail: The drops in connection all stem from packet loss between the router and my computer, there's 100% packet loss when the drops occur, for a few seconds when the USB WiFi dongle is used and shorter and rarer when the network card is used

Yeah we should have a game sometime when you sorted your connection out. am at combined tour count of 1661. There is also another community event starting in mvm. similar to canteen crasher etc etc from potatoe servers.  no loot but seriously fun stuff and some medals & contracts.
Sounds to me like something is interferring with your router and also wireless signal. Have you moved anything around the router or the computer lately. Ie. bought a new fridge/microwave/TV/PSU. Moved the router near a radiator or window. If you say your ethernet is flawless. ie network card to router then definately sounds like something is in the "air". There is something called REIN which can cause random drops and packet loss via wireless and also router. REIN comes from faulty equipement though say like a TV, microwave,fridge, dropped laptop charger is one of the worst causes of REIN. Especially in cheap ones with no proper certifications.  Have a read of this link and see if any of the items seem or sound familiar. https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/knowledgebase/broadband-understanding-rein-and-shine

i should of been clearer about the FTC and FTP. FTC is fibre to cabinet so copper to your house. FTP is fibre to the premises. What type of wireless dongle are you using? Its no the patheticly small ones that barely poke out of the back?... If so that could be your issue if you have recently changed something in the computer or bought a new appliance or an appliance is causing REIN. you could try getting a usb extension cable and having the wireless dongle further away from other interference and the PC itself. Also if you are able to access the router via ether net then i assume that is using a ridiculously long cable? if so then you could look into getting a power line adapter. If there is no spare socket you can use powerline adapters in extention leads but only if they have no suppressents anti serge tech components etc. well that was my understanding at the time i purchased mine. You do however have to ensure that the sockets you use are on the same ring main. In residential wiring sparkies usually do such things by doing a lighthing circuit, socket circuit etc etc

4 hours ago, DanielDee said:

Yeah we should have a game sometime when you sorted your connection out. am at combined tour count of 1661. There is also another community event starting in mvm. similar to canteen crasher etc etc from potatoe servers.  no loot but seriously fun stuff and some medals & contracts.
Sounds to me like something is interferring with your router and also wireless signal. Have you moved anything around the router or the computer lately. Ie. bought a new fridge/microwave/TV/PSU. Moved the router near a radiator or window. If you say your ethernet is flawless. ie network card to router then definately sounds like something is in the "air". There is something called REIN which can cause random drops and packet loss via wireless and also router. REIN comes from faulty equipement though say like a TV, microwave,fridge, dropped laptop charger is one of the worst causes of REIN. Especially in cheap ones with no proper certifications.  Have a read of this link and see if any of the items seem or sound familiar. https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/knowledgebase/broadband-understanding-rein-and-shine

i should of been clearer about the FTC and FTP. FTC is fibre to cabinet so copper to your house. FTP is fibre to the premises. What type of wireless dongle are you using? Its no the patheticly small ones that barely poke out of the back?... If so that could be your issue if you have recently changed something in the computer or bought a new appliance or an appliance is causing REIN. you could try getting a usb extension cable and having the wireless dongle further away from other interference and the PC itself. Also if you are able to access the router via ether net then i assume that is using a ridiculously long cable? if so then you could look into getting a power line adapter. If there is no spare socket you can use powerline adapters in extention leads but only if they have no suppressents anti serge tech components etc. well that was my understanding at the time i purchased mine. You do however have to ensure that the sockets you use are on the same ring main. In residential wiring sparkies usually do such things by doing a lighthing circuit, socket circuit etc etc

I did recently get a new TV in the same room where my computer is located, however, even when completely unplugging it the issue still persists, so I think that can be ruled out as cause.

As I said, it's copper to my house so FTC.

I tried two different wireless dongles, both with antennas. The one I'm currently using is fairly far away from my computer using an USB extension cable, doesn't help a bit.

These powerline adapters seem perfect for me, I'll definitely have a look at them!

Archived