Do you have Discord? - SAY NO

SmokE

This is something I wanted to talk about because most of the recent reports that come in are conversations on discord.

If you are added by someone regarding a trade for high-value items or any trade. 

1st copy their steam profile URL and paste it here - https://rep.tf/ - This website will show you if they are marked as a scammer or if they have a caution tag on any of the websites linked. 

If you forget this and just go ahead and chat with the user casually and move on to the part where they say "hey do you have discord lets talk and make the trade" or something along these lines, just say no and have the trade discussion on steam.  

Remember Most legit trader will ask you to move to discord chat/calls from steam. 

This mostly happens when you comment on some high-end trader's profile and add them. IF YOU GET A FRIENDS REQUEST BACK from the same person you added a while ago be careful. It could be an impersonator scammer. Use rep.tf as I have mentioned above. 

Please keep in mind that Steam Rep does not accept Discord chat logs as it is not possible to prove that the discord user is the same user you are reporting.

(Guess scammers are smart now like they know that discord chat will keep them safe from getting marked) 

One way to prove that the discord user is same as the user on steam is if they have their steam profile linked on discord. On a web browser, open discord find the user and hover the mouse over their linked profile to show the URL on the bottom right corner. https://imgur.com/a/IlsG2ng  

Edit

The max we could do here if proven would be a SITE BAN. 
bp.tf can actually add bp.tf marks on SR if proven the discord user is the same user from steam.

Here is a guide I made - Go through it if you are still not aware of most of the scam attempts 
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1353725346 - Same guide on steam.

Spread the awareness 
Stay safe 

- SmokEy

Yes I have a discord

What ill say to the scammer- " Yes I do have a discord but I will prefer to troll you on steam instead of there"

smokey pls.

saying that nobody should use discord to discuss trades is a big oof.

as someone who usually is on mobile, the steam mobile app is actually the worst.

discord is the fastest way to contact me, and negotiate a trade where i can respond in a timely manner.

People should be careful with whom they trade, 100% make sure you are discussing with the right person, and add them on steam if you are unsure. Be safe and be smart. 

7 hours ago, ApolloTheLion said:

smokey pls.

saying that nobody should use discord to discuss trades is a big oof.

as someone who usually is on mobile, the steam mobile app is actually the worst.

discord is the fastest way to contact me, and negotiate a trade where i can respond in a timely manner.

People should be careful with whom they trade, 100% make sure you are discussing with the right person, and add them on steam if you are unsure. Be safe and be smart. 

I did not say do not use discord at all to discuss trades but just be careful on that part. It's the getting a friends request back part where they need to be careful. 

3 hours ago, poespas said:

Doesn't sparta only accept communication from Discord, technically?

Anyways, other than that, thanks smoke :)

Yes that is because he was using his own account as a bot + he also has a huge discord server 

12 hours ago, Beaser said:

Just get someone's phone number, dial it through a phone, and verbally negotiate your offers to them. Best option tbh

Meet them in person.

On 3/18/2019 at 1:06 AM, « SɱokEy » said:

Please keep in mind that Steam Rep does not accept Discord chat logs as it is not possible to prove that the discord user is the same user you are reporting.

This is true, but a reason discord logs arn't acceptable anywhere is due to the fact you can alter them to say whatever you want

Discord is practically a web browser, you can even open the developer console with a hot key combo! (Ctrl+Shift+I)

Archived