Multiple buy orders on same item using multiple accounts

Julia

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Julia said:

It would work like any other issue with listings: the user reports the rogue listing. It would be more difficult to catch anyone who tries to not get caught doing it but such is the same for many laws. Tax evasion is a thing but just because it can be difficult to enforce doesn't mean it should be permissible to evade paying taxes. In cases like in the example it is quite easy to catch. This is just my opinion, but I don't think there will be a point where everyone is intentionally trying to hide which bots they own so they can take up more listing space. Many bot owners take pride in their bots. They often link to which bots they own, even creating a brand around their bots. Even if someone does not link which bots they own it usually isn't too difficult to figure out who owns the bot by checking item histories.

Handling reports, I come across quite a lot of bots whose owner would not be easily identifiable by the average user.

I can put the question to the mods and see how they feel about the prospect of policing it, though.

• Administrators

The mods are generally in agreement with me. 

The only potential way of policing is to work on reports only, but I have the same concern as before - it's easy to hide and if people want to evade the rule they can simply make it difficult for users to identify who owns what bot in order to report.

Alright, it's not that big of a deal. I don't think it's *that* big of an issue right now but I could see it potentially becoming a bigger issue down the line.

On 3/2/2019 at 11:37 PM, Teeny Tiny Cat said:

If someone has a practical suggestion on how this could be enforced without either requiring mods to go looking or requiring changes to the way the site actually works, I'm all ears. But I haven't heard any yet.

I dont really know how big an issue this is but I guess it only takes a few.. 

Couldn't bp.tf require bot-owner to register their bots before being able to use any automatization?

Maybe not the best solution but at least it should be easy to implement.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, LeROY said:

I dont really know how big an issue this is but I guess it only takes a few.. 

Couldn't bp.tf require bot-owner to register their bots before being able to use any automatization?

Maybe not the best solution but at least it should be easy to implement.

I mean I can't implement anything like that, no, so I'd have to have mods review them all manually. And honestly, the mods have more important things to do. 

• Administrators
33 minutes ago, S T E W said:

Just want to point out, if I were mod, I too would want to do the least work possible.

The mods volunteer and are responsible for handling 100s of reports per day. It's not about doing the least work possible, it's about prioritising their limited time.

We, bot.tf bots owners, demand publicity and transparency!

(quietly) cause we don't have a choice ourselves anyway ...

Seriously, I would support the requirement for every bots to disclose the owner on its Steam profile. This could also make it easier for Mods to enforce not-trading-with-scammers rule.

Just now, Daddy Alex said:

We, bot.tf bots owners, demand publicity and transparency!

(quietly) cause we don't have a choice ourselves anyway ...

Hm, perhaps I should give you that option, huh.

Archived