Is this a good buy?

TheGrandTuna

I currently have 51 keys in my inventory looking to buy some unusuals. I am fairly new to trading, and don't know if this would be a good buy. I am leaning towards buying it because of the effect, and price. However the seller has had the hat for a long time. 

Hat: Sultans Ceremonial. 

Effect: Scorching Flames

BP price: 45 keys

Seller Price: 40 keys.  

First off, are you buying the hat because you like it, or you looking to turn it around for a profit.  If you like it, then go for it. If you want it for a profit, you already answered your own question.  Its 'worth' 45 and the seller is asking for 40. Thus, there is no wiggle room unless you are trying to profit 1 key at a time.

If you arent prone to wear it all the time though, then Id pass on it.

The price of the hat just got dropped because he couldn't find buyers for several months at 45. I really wouldn't recommend it for flipping.

2 hours ago, TheGrandTuna said:

Ok, thanks for the replies! What do you guys tend to look for in a good hat to flip?

It's not the hat that makes a good deal, it's the price. You won't be able to sell 9/10 hats for their full price in a decent time so you're better off buying based on risk

22 hours ago, TheGrandTuna said:

Ok, thanks for the replies! What do you guys tend to look for in a good hat to flip?

22 hours ago, Zoinks said:

As said above, there really isn't any room to make profit. Plus, there are at least 4 more sellers, so it'll be a tough sell.

When I used to trade it was this ^^

Dont buy hats where you have to compete with many other sellers. They WILL undercut you, 100% of the time.

I would find niche hats with a low (or none) amount of sellers. As long as the effect and/or hat was in demand it would usually sell for more than what backpack.tf said it was worth.

My proudest flip was a Spellbound Antler (worth 650 keys at the time, I bought for 550) which I set on tf2outpost for 1200 keys, not negotiable. (no other sellers and I knew this was a highly demanded misc and effect) and sure enough someone offered me a golden pan and about 150 keys in sweets. [note: this was 10% me being a good trader and 90% luck] Not the most practical example, but just goes to show what potential is out there if youre at the right place at the right time and you have the mindset to be looking out for hats like that.

Archived