What do you do when you're trying to sell an item that someone sells for cheaper?

DiscoDonuts

People often use the "cheaper seller" tactic in negotiations and I usually expect them to but I can't think of a counter to it. If this were real life and not digital, I could prey on their laziness (other seller might be an hour away, why not buy right here and save time) or say that my product is better quality. In the virtual world though, neither of these things matter!

So far I've thought of two weak responses: "The fact that you're trading with me and not him means that he declined your trade and you still want this item so you're trying to see if you can get me to go down to his price" (only really works when they initiate the trade), or "Yeah they are selling for less but maybe they won't accept what you have. Maybe they don't want <insert hat here>"

What do you do when there's a cheaper seller and you can't afford going lower?

"Buy it from them then. Goodbye."

Trying to argue with them is not going to get you anywhere and will only waste your time. A lost sale means jack squat in the grand scheme of things.

If you really can't afford to go lower then let them buy it off the other seller I suppose. Atleast that way you won't have a seller below you anymore.

6 minutes ago, Erik said:

If you really can't afford to go lower then let them buy it off the other seller I suppose. Atleast that way you won't have a seller below you anymore.

Or they happen to resell that item again, above buying price, but slightly undercutting you. Love it everytime this happens. 😀

18 minutes ago, Nico said:

Or they happen to resell that item again, above buying price, but slightly undercutting you. Love it everytime this happens. 😀

Well in that case you could consider alternative ways of selling it; SCM, marketplace etc.

50 minutes ago, Serpentine said:

Undercut them, no matter the cost.  As long as they lose money, any loss is well worth it. 

Just my thoughts 

You're acting like they are the villain somehow 

UNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUT

There's a reason they're talking to you. A lot of the time, it's because the other seller only wants pure, or requires more item overpay than you. The rest of the time, they're seeing if they can get a better deal before buying with pure keys. Figure out which one it is, and if it's keys decide what your lowest price would be.

33 minutes ago, unstopaBULLY said:

UNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUTUNDERCUT

I undercut them then they undercut me then I undercut them then they undercut me and now a 100 key unusual is being sold for 5 ref.

5 hours ago, 🍀Swazzy🍀 said:

You're acting like they are the villain somehow 

If they're petty enough to undercut by an noticeable margin, you should be too. If you dont fight fire with fire, you're the only one getting burned. 

10 hours ago, Serpentine said:

If they're petty enough to undercut by an noticeable margin, you should be too. If you dont fight fire with fire, you're the only one getting burned. 

Unless they want pure fast or something, and they will indeed sell it quickly. It's all about identifying when your own price is indeed too high, or when those cheaper sellers won't stick around for long anyway. Not "fighting fire with fire", that's the best way for cutting your own margins for nothing. 

16 hours ago, Serpentine said:

If you dont fight fire with fire, you're the only one getting burned. 

If you fight fire with fire, the whole world goes up in flames.

Archived