what's the point of "discussion" accounts?

olifur

I've had nothing but bad experiences with people who have discussion accounts that seem to change names every hour. One time I messed up one of my listings, and I gave the guy some refined as a gift for notifying me. Then, he adds me on another account and tries to scam me by leading me to another website. Then, earlier today, I decided to actually spend a decent amount of keys on an unusual.When I sent the offer, he adds me on his "discussion" account, trying to verify the "market details" of my keys. I don't even know what that means. What's the point of "discussion" accounts? Are they just a front for scammer alts?

It means that he is a scammer and is trying to scam you.

The first one tried to steal your API key by linking to to a phishing site, and the second one was trying the item verification scam. And the reason the names/profile pics are constantly changing is because they are trying to cover their tracks and/or impersonating legitimate traders.

"Discussion accounts" are nothing but scammers. No legitimate trader uses a "discussion account" they will just add you or talk to you.

It is basically just impersonators claiming they are "discussion accounts" of legitimate traders. So they can use a well known or trusted name to trick people while being open about the fact the account isn't the same as the legitimate user's account.

• olifur locked this topic
  • olifur unlocked this topic

It's nothing, they're scammer accounts trying to trick you into thinking they're an actual account. Never add them and talk to them, it's a waste of time.

Archived