I thought we won

MajorNZ

Just when I thought we had beaten back the phishers and hijackers, they rolled out a new form of screwing people over.

As you guys probably know, there was a recent rise in phishing. Accounts were getting hacked every damn minute. I myself almost got phished five times, but thanks to an extension, I did not fall victim to this. Eventually, though, I saw numbers go down. Lots of people recovered accounts and the phishing seemed to have died down. Boy was I wrong.

It seems that in the down time the phishers had, they have found a new platform to cause chaos on. That platform is the website creator, Weebly. Notorious for letting people make free websites, the hijackers slithered their way to it, and with that has come their new form of attack. A person will either add you, or comment on your profile or trade on Outpost or your profile. They will tell you that you can get "free" Steam games by going to something like Steammcommuntyyy.weebly.com.org (Added stuff so you couldn't actually go to it). Looks familiar doesn't it? This website claims it can give you a random free game if you give them your Steam ID, Steam username and password, and some other stuff so they can grab hold of your profile. Already have I seen two of my friends fall victim to this. It's sad, and not just for the victims, but for the scammers. To want something so bad that they will create fake websites in order to make it happen shows many people that you are just lazy and unwilling to work for something. Unless you get a thrill out of doing this, in which that case, you're screwed up.

Now I know this looks like a rant, and it is, but I am trying to just get this across. New form of hijacking, letting the community know. Please don't fall victim to this.

BTW: No form of scripting (yet) or any extension will block this as it is a weebly website. 

Just don't click links let alone give a random site your password for a "free game". Why is this so hard? I find it hard to feel bad for people who click the links that random people send them. It's kind of like falling for one of those  banners from the 90's that say "Your the 10,0000000 visitor click here to claim $120347203897650234852034857" and then entering your bank account and SSN so they can deposit the money. It's been 20 years and it amazes me that people are still so greedy to the point of being ridiculously stupid, You are literally falling for one of the OLDEST tricks in the book, and its not like there is a shortage of people warning everyone not to click the links yet people  still do.

Just don't click links let alone give a random site your password for a "free game". Why is this so hard? I find it hard to feel bad for people who click the links that random people send them. It's kind of like falling for one of those  banners from the 90's that say "Your the 10,0000000 visitor click here to claim $120347203897650234852034857" and then entering your bank account and SSN so they can deposit the money. It's been 20 years and it amazes me that people are still so greedy to the point of being ridiculously stupid, You are literally falling for one of the OLDEST tricks in the book, and its not like there is a shortage of people warning everyone not to click the links yet people  still do.

I do think it would help if Steam whitelisted some common tf2-related sites so the warning doesn't come up then. People just immediately close it the way it is now.

Agreed. It is stupid. And yes, it also amazes me to see how people, even though told not to, they still click random links. And a point I forgot to add in the original post is that the website also asks for your email address and email password. That should flat out tell you it's a fraud, even if you have ignored the earlier warning signs. It can't feel bad for them, but the reason I feel sad for the one guy is because he had so little to himself, and in an instant it was taken. All in all, it is stupid how far we go to get free stuff, and it's even more stupid when we fall for the oldest trick in the book.

We should advertise "Do Not Click on Phishing Links" more, especially on those people who doesn't even know about price, and how trading works.

I recieve like 5 phising links a day.  I usually just fuck with them and say "Yeah I just added your friend"  For the password I would put "Your a Fag" or "You love penis".  We just need to start trolling these people till they give up.

You're saying this as if it's something that's actually major.

too bad it is, lots of people fall for phishing links every day and tons of items get stolen

Honestly I have no sympathy for anyone who would believe in a free item website that wasn't official. I knew nothing of phishing links but told the first guy who sent me one to screw off because steam would never have an error like the one he described. Anyway, both the people who get scammed and the scammers sicken me.

I got phished to this well thought out trick.

Some guy was like "My friend wants to buy something from you but he can't add you on Steam, it's a glitch or something. Can you just add him instead? Here's his profile."

They sent me a link to steancommunity.com instead of steamcommunity.com so I fell for it and got hijacked. Got my items back a week later though.

Archived