After installing new RAM: Chrome runs hell slow, Discord runs hell slow, Wildlands has audio glitches

JayTuut

8 hours ago, JayTee said:

7. Yes and no, when I was having trouble getting the ram to work at all, I put in one stick but yeah it didn't boot. Should I try it now that its working and just take the one out of slot 4? What would this achieve? Thanks :) 

8. Windows version 10.0.17134 (latest that I know of?) Windows 10 Pro

9. When i change tabs and in the freeze i checked task manager, nothing changes, still stays at <45% with like 6 chrome tabs open

9. I did scans with both antiviruses and I will try the extension thing now, seems odd tho that the extension would be a problem since its not only chrome, but audio in games (only games, not even youtube) and discord.

The bit I put in bold. If your system didnt boot with 1 stick of RAM then you either put it in the wrong slot, or you have a faulty module. Check your motherboard manual. Even though slots 2/4 may be required for 2 sticks, that does not mean 1 stick is only slot 2. 

9. When you looked at task manager it sounds like you only looked at "performance" when this happens. You need to look at "processes". 

Both antiviruses? You should only need 1 antivirus software otherwise you end up with conflict issues where your scans run background processes and identify each other as potential viruses (not saying thats whats happening here but it happens in some cases). 

Ooof. Loose memory timings can cause some erratic issues, but two AntiVirus solutions almost ALWAYS cause problems.  What software is it?

On 2/9/2019 at 7:57 AM, SoranoGuardias said:

There is a reason I say SUPPORT and COMPATIBLE differently. The BOARD is just the BOARD. The system is EVERYTHING installed on the board. Due to how the board is set up (PCIe bandwidth allocation, bifurcation, and auto-disabled components) your board may support up to seven PCIe cards installed, but something may be automatically disabled for them to function such as your NVME drive, a SATA controller, or a LAN controller, in order for your cards to all work.

Likewise, the memory specification tells you what kits speeds have successfully been tested in the board, but not the system loadout. So the BOARD may be compatible with it, but your SYSTEM may not be without the appropriate tinkering.

Try these specific memory settings and see if it alleviates your problems any.

Go into your board's UEFI BIOS and locate your system's memory profiles.

Use the manual located here to help you: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z270-SLI#down-manual

MANUALLY CONFIGURE THE FOLLOWING SETTINGS.

Use BIOS ADVANCED MODE
Go to OC

Scroll down to XMP

XMP - DISABLED
Frequency - 2400MHz

Select ADVANCED DRAM CONFIGURATION

Set the first four values in this order: 16-16-16-39
Set DRAM VOLTAGE to 1.2V

Save BIOS configuration and reboot.

Also, you can try the MEMORY TRY IT function to see if it helps as well.

Sorry for shit images as camera wouldn't focus on monitor, but is this what you meant?

Edit: Results, didn't do anything. :( 

2JsW13v.jpg 

z7zkTHc.jpg

I actually didn't spot memory try it till now, what does that do? Would it make a difference? Awaiting results on these (as it takes like 5 minutes after startup for the problems to happen again)

21 hours ago, Findiculous said:

The bit I put in bold. If your system didnt boot with 1 stick of RAM then you either put it in the wrong slot, or you have a faulty module. Check your motherboard manual. Even though slots 2/4 may be required for 2 sticks, that does not mean 1 stick is only slot 2. 

9. When you looked at task manager it sounds like you only looked at "performance" when this happens. You need to look at "processes". 

Both antiviruses? You should only need 1 antivirus software otherwise you end up with conflict issues where your scans run background processes and identify each other as potential viruses (not saying thats whats happening here but it happens in some cases). 

4 hours ago, SoranoGuardias said:

Ooof. Loose memory timings can cause some erratic issues, but two AntiVirus solutions almost ALWAYS cause problems.  What software is it?

1) Nah it was a GPU issue (VGA debug LED, took me having to take my whole graphics card out and reinserting to fix it. I thought it was memory at first

And stick 1 is only slot 2, the manual and board specifically say the RAM should always be in slot 2 first. So i assume that means if only 1 stick it has to be in slot 2 or it wont run.

2 (or 9)) You are correct, I will edit this with the processes tab Edit: Nothing changes in processes tab

3) Malwarebytes premium and windows defender

Also I forgot to mention (which is pretty important, I did in my Toms Hardware post but not this one) that I did turn voltage down for the CPU as it was getting to 90 degrees or so (even made a forum post here I think), with the voltage down it doesn't hit above 73 when gaming (which is nice)

But. Speaking of TH, 2 forumers said 

If the Memtest86 passed, that means it's not your ram. Better run stock voltage to see if that's the reason for your sluttering, but most probably it is, since heat is the number 1 enemy to hardware, and yes, it can cause lag.

and

Bump vcore back up a notch. The memory controller is part of the cpu, almost sounds like it's being starved but not enough to bsod

So, that could be the case, I'm still waiting on results from the thing I just did that @SoranoGuardias told me to do, if that doesn't work I'll bump the CPU voltage back to normal (even though this could mean my ram works... but my CPU is gonna be at 90 again probably, meaning a) A de-lid b) corsair H110i to replace my cryorig m9i .. or both)

Okay. MWB and Defender should cause no issues, since Windows relegates Defender to a security monitoring service if another AV is detected.

6 hours ago, SoranoGuardias said:

Okay. MWB and Defender should cause no issues, since Windows relegates Defender to a security monitoring service if another AV is detected.

Still after factory settings on bios still got the issue. Agh.

Update: Took new ram out, put one stick of the old RAM in like MSI support said, and it works like a charm. Guess faulty RAM, dunno how the hell it passed memtest86 then....

Archived