I added the wrong item in the trade window and the person blocked me afterwards refusing a tradeback/add. What do I do?

hailster

EDIT 3:

Nvm, whole post is invalid, no one was taken advantage of, it's just a double fuck up on my end. Read mb's reply and my reply to his. Requesting lock.

Hello!

Firstly, this was a complete mess up on my part and my part alone. The other trader has the right to accept the trade offer as it was sent, regardless of it being a messed up offer.

I don't blame the other trader for accepting the trade and don't want to accuse anyone of taking advantage of the situation or play any blame games, I just want to know if I can do something about this or whether or not I just have to deal with it. 

That being said, here's what happened.

I wanted to buy halloween unusuals, so I sent an offer of 80 pure for a Something Burning Comes This Way Virtual Reality Headset and a Secret to Everybody Birdcage, it was declined, so I sent one again for 85 pure, however I added a Circling Heart Virtual Reality Headset and a Secret to Everybody Birdcage instead.

The trade offer was accepted, and I got in-game to receive the items, when I realized I got a Circling Heart Virtual Reality Headset instead.

I immediately commented on the aforementioned traders profile and requested an add, the add was declined and I was blocked, my comments were removed.

Again, I'm not blaming the person of taking advantage of the situation, but if proof is asked for this I can give it via direct message rather than sharing it publicly. I'm not sure if there are any rules against this or if this just comes down to personal choice whether or not you can take advantage of the situation. I completely understand if I have to just deal with this situation and will do so if told. Do not go out of your way to find the trader and harrass him in anyway, regardless of how much of a dick move this was.

The other trader should know that I did indeed mean to buy the SBCTW Virtual Reality and Secret Birdcage rather than the C.Heart Virtual Reality and the secret birdcage as I made these two offers with very short time in between, and also mentioned the fact that the unusuals were unsold for the specified periods of time in both the offers.

Proof attached. Screenies are very zoomed out because I want to encompass the trade in one photo. 

If unreadable, Trade offer text says: "5 months and an year unsold huh" "85. Final offer, yours have been unsold for an year and 5 months." "I messed up and added the circling heart reality rather than sbctw birdcage, can we do a tradeback?" "Tradeback please? I messed up the trade offer, meant to do SBCTW virtual + Scrt birdcage, not C.heart virtual + Scrt birdcage"

For context, I re-sent the offer again because I wasn't clear enough in the first tradeback request trade about what I meant. It was declined, I was blocked, and my comments were removed shortly after. 

Don't fuck up like me and put the wrong items in guys, you might get fucked over and blocked too. :P

EDIT:

I have proof of the block, however the screenshot reveals the profile, so I won't share that publicly, only will share it through direct messages if asked by someone.

EDIT 2:

In defense of the other trader, the persons B/O on the Birdcage was 65, and since the Circling Heart Virtual Reality Headset is priced at 25, his B/O could have been high on the Virtual Reality Headset too, hence why he thought the offer was just a full pure offer for both and accepted rather than knowingly taking advantage of the situation.

download.png

download (1).png

download (2).png

download (3).png

download (4).png

download (5).png

19 minutes ago, hailster said:

Hello!

Firstly, this was a complete mess up on my part and my part alone. The other trader has the right to accept the trade offer as it was sent, regardless of it being a messed up offer.

I don't blame the other trader for accepting the trade and don't want to accuse anyone of taking advantage of the situation or play any blame games, I just want to know if I can do something about this or whether or not I just have to deal with it. 

That being said, here's what happened.

I wanted to buy halloween unusuals, so I sent an offer of 80 pure for a Something Burning Comes This Way Virtual Reality Headset and a Secret to Everybody Birdcage, it was declined, so I sent one again for 85 pure, however I added a Circling Heart Virtual Reality Headset and a Secret to Everybody Birdcage instead.

The trade offer was accepted, and I got in-game to receive the items, when I realized I got a Circling Heart Virtual Reality Headset instead.

I immediately commented on the aforementioned traders profile and requested an add, the add was declined and I was blocked, my comments were removed.

Again, I'm not blaming the person of taking advantage of the situation, but if proof is asked for this I can give it via direct message rather than sharing it publicly. I'm not sure if there are any rules against this or if this just comes down to personal choice whether or not you can take advantage of the situation. I completely understand if I have to just deal with this situation and will do so if told. Do not go out of your way to find the trader and harrass him in anyway, regardless of how much of a dick move this was.

The other trader should know that I did indeed mean to buy the SBCTW Virtual Reality and Secret Birdcage rather than the C.Heart Virtual Reality and the secret birdcage as I made these two offers with very short time in between, and also mentioned the fact that the unusuals were unsold for the specified periods of time in both the offers.

Proof attached. Screenies are very zoomed out because I want to encompass the trade in one photo. 

If unreadable, Trade offer text says: "5 months and an year unsold huh" "85. Final offer, yours have been unsold for an year and 5 months." "I messed up and added the circling heart reality rather than sbctw birdcage, can we do a tradeback?" "Tradeback please? I messed up the trade offer, meant to do SBCTW virtual + Scrt birdcage, not C.heart virtual + Scrt birdcage"

For context, I re-sent the offer again because I wasn't clear enough in the first tradeback request trade about what I meant. It was declined, I was blocked, and my comments were removed shortly after. 

Don't fuck up like me and put the wrong items in guys, you might get fucked over and blocked too. :P

EDIT:

I have proof of the block, however the screenshot reveals the profile, so I won't share that publicly, only will share it through direct messages if asked by someone.

EDIT 2:

In defense of the other trader, the persons B/O on the Birdcage was 65, and since the Circling Heart Virtual Reality Headset is priced at 25, his B/O could have been high on the Virtual Reality Headset too, hence why he thought the offer was just a full pure offer for both and accepted rather than knowingly taking advantage of the situation.

download.png

download (1).png

download (2).png

download (3).png

download (4).png

download (5).png

I've done the same thing, end of the day it's your fault, he has no obligation to return the stuff if he doesn't want to, just be happy you at least got something out of it, could be worse like this guys situation
https://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/64648-i-got-scammed-2000-3k-in-unusuals-today/&

So sorry for your loss, mate! It can happen if you are not 100% attentively trading and not checking every item like someone paranoid. Yes, it boils down to personal preference, or (my honest opinion, do not get triggered, Internet) what I'd call etiquette or not-being-a-dick-for-a-quicker-buck-ery if one swaps the item in question or redos the trade completely, or compensates any other way. On another note, though you have every right in the world to be mad, you did censor the trader's name in order not to start witch hunts, my absolute respect!

2 hours ago, Tobbby92 said:

If he knew you wanted something else then you can put a -trust on his backpack.tf profile. 

considering the first offer and the 5 keys on top in the second offer its very likely that he knew it, anyway im not sure if its legit to -rep him, people here dont care much about etiquette usually and imo its all about trading-etiquette.

mb acts not legit, but legal, so guess if he blocks all communication i would block him instead and move on.

well, tbh just blocked him too, cause im really tired of traders with such bad manners

That sucks, mate, hope he has second thoughts and sends you a tradeback.

Someone once accidentally offered me their 100 key unusual for nothing in return- I was tempted to accept it, honestly. But I knew they probably made a mistake (who donates a 100 key unusual to a random person?), so I commented on their profile, letting them know they didn't ask for anything in return. It was indeed a mistake on their end, and they were thankful that I didn't just swipe it. (I did have a warning at that time that any empty offers would be taken as a donation, as I had a bot set up, just not running at that time. Although if my bot took it, I would have returned the item anyways.).

One good tip I use everytime, when I want to select a specific unusual in one's inventory, I always type the effect name (and not the hat name) in the search bar. And then select the unusual.

This is also usefull to search for renamed hats

5 hours ago, Nico said:

On another note, though you have every right in the world to be mad, you did censor the trader's name in order not to start witch hunts, my absolute respect!

On the other hand, it's almost zero work to look at the history of the items in question, so censoring was basically wasted effort...but in spirit, it was very respectable.

Also, if someone takes advantage of an honest mistake like that, I think it's completely fair to warn everyone about them (a witch hunt would indeed be overboard, but I wouldn't expect that kind of reaction).  I consider that useful information--I don't want to trade with assholes who would take advantage of me if I made a mistake, nor do I want to help someone who will do something like that.

Leave him a -trust, and I hope the mods allow it; it just might save people down the line from being the victim of predatory behavior.

I sent an empty trade offer after just starting out with trading, wasnt much but most my bp value at the time. I just left him a comment where I joked and laught at myself -never asking for anything back, he liked how I dealt with it and after a few more msg we agreed on half the value back.

This is something Ive done ever since, and theres been a few. I have not yet met anyone finding it unfair or scam, even after all done. Many continue with making the original trade offer to me even after (which for me is validation) and most have said theyll adopt the idea.

Now the condition is dont be a dick! If you send me more than you should then try to get it back with  "fuck you scammer send me back...." as your 1st. words, I will block and move on.

Im sure many find this dumb and it wont work for everyone, just sharing my view and experience

Dude first send low offer of 80k for Secret Cage and SBTW Nano and i insta refused, after that he sent 85 keys for Secret Cage and CH VRH - this was close to my BOs on both hats so i accepted. 10 min later he started asking for refund claiming he wanted Bats Nano instead of VRH - like how can you miss hat icon (for effect i can understand). In cases like this i will consider refunding people if they miss effect and if price difference says so but in this case my BOs where 70 and 30 and he paid 60 and 25 - so realistic trade. I would consider refunding if person is ok but in this case he offered me less then what i paid for those 2 hats from first offer. In first offer he added smartass message 5 months and an year unsold huh.

https://imgur.com/a/faw4Q34

Cant expect people to be charitable if you behave like an ass! Instead of witch hunting maybe you can read next time...

4 hours ago, 3.50 said:

On the other hand, it's almost zero work to look at the history of the items in question, so censoring was basically wasted effort...but in spirit, it was very respectable.

Also, if someone takes advantage of an honest mistake like that, I think it's completely fair to warn everyone about them (a witch hunt would indeed be overboard, but I wouldn't expect that kind of reaction).  I consider that useful information--I don't want to trade with assholes who would take advantage of me if I made a mistake, nor do I want to help someone who will do something like that.

Leave him a -trust, and I hope the mods allow it; it just might save people down the line from being the victim of predatory behavior.

What "predatory behaviour", op sent an offer, mb accepted. I'd feel differently if it were a 1 sided offer, or clearly a mistake, but i'm sure for a high tier trader like mb full pure/near full pure offers aren't uncommon. I personally feel bad for op, but it's entirely his fault, and mb has no obligation to retrade him, especially if he (allegedly) is being an ass. That -trust is not valid either, and will likely be removed soon.

3 hours ago, Torb | Elite Spell Trader™ said:

What "predatory behaviour", op sent an offer, mb accepted.

No.

He sent an offer, it was refused, then he re-offered and accidentally switched hats.  Second offer had a message that made it clear that he believed it was the same hats.  I think mb_ knew exactly what he was doing.

ok well in either ways,we cannot make mb as a bad person at all.he had a decision.im sure most of us would have done what mb did.

anyways op,im still sorryb for your loss.just be wary in future.atleast you didnt lose out alot.

5 hours ago, mb_ said:

Dude first send low offer of 80k for Secret Cage and SBTW Nano and i insta refused, after that he sent 85 keys for Secret Cage and CH VRH - this was close to my BOs on both hats so i accepted. 10 min later he started asking for refund claiming he wanted Bats Nano instead of VRH - like how can you miss hat icon (for effect i can understand). In cases like this i will consider refunding people if they miss effect and if price difference says so but in this case my BOs where 70 and 30 and he paid 60 and 25 - so realistic trade. I would consider refunding if person is ok but in this case he offered me less then what i paid for those 2 hats from first offer. In first offer he added smartass message 5 months and an year unsold huh.

Cant expect people to be charitable if you behave like an ass! Instead of witch hunting maybe you can read next time...

yeah, i have to apologize for calling you bad mannered, sry man... - though ive read carefully i should have paid more attention to the screenies, missed the nano and thought it was a vrh in both offers. Imo thats a totally different situation cause you cant decide if its really an accident or just a try to retrade, so you have done nothing wrong

5 minutes ago, diamondjozu(storage alt) said:

anyways op,im still sorryb for your loss.just be wary in future.atleast you didnt lose out alot. 

Are you sorry for his lowball offer not being accepted? or the "loss" of getting the 2 items for 10k under B/O.. 

Whatever anyone may "feel" is right the fact is; no rules have been broken, no one is a "victim", and there certainly is no "predatory behavior". I though at first OP messed up effect on same hat, but even then...

All these pity-posts needs to stop! When someone breaks a rule -report them in proper channel.

MORE IMPORTANTLY: DON'T MAKE YOURSELF THE VICTIM FOR BEING DUMB OR FOR DOING SOMETHING DUMB

(If you have been stupid, what makes you think its a good idea to tell everyone anyway?)

1 minute ago, LeROY said:

Are you sorry for his lowball offer not being accepted? or the "loss" of getting the 2 items for 10k under B/O.. 

Whatever anyone may "feel" is right the fact is; no rules have been broken, no one is a "victim", and there certainly is no "predatory behavior". I though at first OP messed up effect on same hat, but even then...

All these pity-posts needs to stop! When someone breaks a rule -report them in proper channel.

MORE IMPORTANTLY: DON'T MAKE YOURSELF THE VICTIM FOR BEING DUMB OR FOR DOING SOMETHING DUMB

(If you have been stupid, what makes you think its a good idea to tell everyone anyway?)

it doesnt matter.this thread should be locked not to mention its somewhat name-shaming tho op blurred the name out but the accused came here

I feel like this is exactly the idea behind ± trust: (maybe implicit) arrangements outside of just the items that were traded.

I, for one, would like to be warned that I do not have a right to make a mistake with this user. For example, if I'm doing a Paypal trade and mistyped the amount, I want to know if this user can tell me "Okay, so the X amount was part of our trade, the rest was your donation to me".

14 hours ago, mb_ said:

I at no point meant to witch hunt, so I blurred out your name. I also didn't mean to be an ass, I was just pointing out that it was unsold so I could get the offer easier as I assumed you probably wouldn't be counting how long your unusuals have been on the classifieds seeing as you have so many.

Yeah, I completely made a mistake and added the wrong item. As to how that happened, I initially saw that you had a SBCTW Nanobalaclava and Secret to Everybody Birdcage,  I also had the tab up of the classifieds of a SBCTW Virtual Reality Headset, something which you don't have but I guess I just had a brainfart and assumed that you were the owner of it, so I accidentally added it in the trade window. I also was really sleepy at the time, so I guess that also affected it. Until now I didn't even notice that I swapped literally the hats themselves rather than only the effect and realized I messed up way more than I thought I did.

I didn't mean to be rude to you personally nor did I mean to call you out specifically, I just made this post to get some help on what I should do in this kind of scenario. I also blurred out your name incase anyone would think of doing that, I also wanna apologize for the fact that I mistook the hat itself, I wrote a SBCTW Virtual Reality Headset without realizing I messed up the hats themselves.

Sorry about this whole fiasco, I messed up and you have no obligation at all to repay me in anyway as it was my responsibility. Thanks for pointing out that I messed up the hats though, I didn't even notice even though I took screenshots of the individual hats themselves. 

EDIT:

I also realize that pretty much my whole post is invalid because I thought I offered on the same hat with a different effect- not a different hat with a different effect. I should've been paying attention when taking the screenies and noticed that I got the hats mixed up and not just the effect.

EDIT 2:

Also, I didn't read the replies before doing the -1 on your profile as I hadn't realized I traded the wrong hat itself, sorry about that too. 

EDIT 3: 

Requesting a lock as this whole thing was a two-fold messup on my part, first off adding the wrong item and then secondly not realizing I added a different item itself- so this whole thread is invalid. 

8 hours ago, LeROY said:

I initially thought the situation was taken advantage of because I only swapped the effect which would have been obvious from mb's perspective, but I instead swapped out the hat itself too, coincidentally with something with a similiar B/O, so I am in no way a victim here, it's purely a two-fold fuck up on my end.

I messed up and messed up mistaking the mess up as a swap of effects rather than a completely different hat itself, so I don't in anyway think mb took advantage of the situation, B/Os were near and I made a fair offer from his perspective, so he's in the right.

8 hours ago, thedirtierthebetter said:

yeah, i have to apologize for calling you bad mannered, sry man... - though ive read carefully i should have paid more attention to the screenies, missed the nano and thought it was a vrh in both offers. Imo thats a totally different situation cause you cant decide if its really an accident or just a try to retrade, so you have done nothing wrong

I agree, I myself didn't notice I swapped the hat and the effect both- not just the hat itself, and it also had matching B/Os, so it in no way was him taking advantage of it. 

9 hours ago, 3.50 said:

No.

He sent an offer, it was refused, then he re-offered and accidentally switched hats.  Second offer had a message that made it clear that he believed it was the same hats.  I think mb_ knew exactly what he was doing.

Valid point that the message should've pointed out that I meant the same hat, but the B/O's being very similiar to what I offered makes it seem like I did indeed mean to offer on the hats that I sent the offer for.

Even so, I'd rather not continue this thread longer as the initial post about mixing up the effect was wrong- I mixed up both the effect AND the hat.

Whether or not he did know- mb has no real obligation to pay me back and even if he did, I already sold the C.heart vrh, so lets let it be water under the bridge.

On 2/5/2019 at 1:55 PM, hailster said:

EDIT 3:

Requesting lock.

You can lock the thread yourself, should be under "Moderation actions" at the top.

Accepting responsibility and moving on is the only constructive thing you can do at this point, so good on you for making that choice.

However, I'm still glad you made the thread.  It's provided some very useful information.  Whether or not you screwed yourself, or whether mb_ knew it was a mistake when he accepted it is one thing...

But once you brought it to his attention that you'd made a mistake, he could have erased the whole fuck-up with a couple of clicks, and would have lost nothing, and yet chose not to. 

When a person makes an honest mistake that hurts them and you can erase that mistake at no cost to yourself, but instead you choose to take advantage of the situation so you can gain something, that's a shitty thing to do, and (arguably) makes you a shitty person.  mb coming here and making excuses illustrates the point perfectly--he'll take advantage of a situation if he feels justified.  Most people don't care, but some of us appreciate knowing about people of poor character so we can avoid them.

• hailster locked this topic

Archived