Ay, bruh. I'm kind of mad. And I need to ask something of you.

bobsilly2

Alright, I got to ask a question.

Has anyone been added by a random user and when they message you they say "dont be mad at me but i accidentally report you on the steam admin for having a duped items instead of someone else who trick me before :("  And then they send you a fake steam admin's link?

Because that happened to me twice today!

It's literally the same thing they always do:

1. Add person

2. Send a link along with a clever explanation of why they should click it

3. ????

4. Profit

19 minutes ago, 3.50 said:

3. ????

4. Profit

And if we flipped sides...

3. ????

4. You're fucked.

7 hours ago, 3.50 said:

It's literally the same thing they always do:

1. Add person

2. Send a link along with a clever explanation of why they should click it

3. ????

4. Profit

most of the time it's a real steam link. just to a fake admin's profile.

19 hours ago, bobsilly2 said:

Alright, I got to ask a question.

Has anyone been added by a random user and when they message you they say "dont be mad at me but i accidentally report you on the steam admin for having a duped items instead of someone else who trick me before :("  And then they send you a fake steam admin's link?

Because that happened to me twice today!

Very well known scam, they'll add you claiming you've got duped items, but in reality, you don't.

And this is the exact reason why I ask for a fucking comment on my profile for the reason of adding me.

On 1/28/2019 at 11:52 AM, o_xEternal said:

Very well known scam, they'll add you claiming you've got duped items, but in reality, you don't.

And this is the exact reason why I ask for a fucking comment on my profile for the reason of adding me.

The problem with "comment before adding" is you open up that user to however many scammers, all using your name/avatar and a mock-up of your profile. Some people don't realize (or simply forget) a user you sent a friend request to will just appear on your friends list, not send you a request right back.

It's a horrible system overall and Valve should be ashamed their client is so badly infested.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/1/2019 at 10:45 PM, Horsestepping said:

The problem with "comment before adding" is you open up that user to however many scammers, all using your name/avatar and a mock-up of your profile. Some people don't realize (or simply forget) a user you sent a friend request to will just appear on your friends list, not send you a request right back.

It's a horrible system overall and Valve should be ashamed their client is so badly infested.

True.

Archived