Why do people care a lot about an item being duped??

Bulletz4

Personally I don't think I've ever met someone that actually cared about an item being duped. I think that people only avoid duped items because they think that other people do care. They are afraid that it will make the item harder to sell. However, this just creates a cycle.

8 minutes ago, Creepy said:

Personally I don't think I've ever met someone that actually cared about an item being duped. 

Wat

Duped high or god tiers are avoided like the plague and are duped high and god tiers are traded for even less than half the price of clean ones, such as in the case of vintage earbuds, burning tc's, bla bla bla bla bla

2 minutes ago, Apeiron said:

I've always considered that there is always a chance that steam might get deleted duped items.

i doubt that, if steam were to do that, it'd mess up the economy, probably resulting in people leaving the game

It originated back when people were unsure whether duped items would be deleted by VALVe. This was debunked but thanks to TF2 Outpost's ingenious sheep users, duped items never recovered on their bad reputation. It's so bad that newer traders still believe duped items are at risk of being deleted.

literally had a small chat about this subject yesterday i the bp.tf discord.

well i too would agree that duped shouldnt be bothered at all.people are just scared that duped items may get deleted since the original was scammed/stolen so yeh but we all know that valve would not delete items at all.

according to backpack.tf , they state that if an item is worth 30 keys or lesser,it shouldnt bother when doing pricing suggestion.how i mean is that if an item is worth 30 keys or lesser and was sold for pure keys while the item sold is duped,bp.tf does not require another mini.here's an example:

https://backpack.tf/suggestion/5a7dc1c144325a0ec81df100

duped items dont really change a shit with the effect or anything.its literally the same.this also occurred to 'gifted' items

when a item was gifted,bp.tf would consider them as the 'duped' price.usually people buy 50% if item is duped but ofc gifted tags was removed tho i never understood how or why gifted items needed minis in pricing suggestion

well not sure about people believing anymore that dupes may be deleted 😕 pretty sure that's not the case.

My self and a few other 'ol school' traders that have been around for 3 or 4 or more accounts and 8 9 10 11 years care about dupes for total other reasons. It's simply because some piece of shit scammer, sharker, hacker or other fuckbag moron literally stole/cheated/scammed/whatever the item off someone to where the item was duplicated for the original owner (or in the case of certain traders who are now top 100 the original owner found a way to cheat the system and duplicate items) ... but i digress. So what that means is some low-life has literally doubled his money or gotten free money. By buying from them or supporting them in any way you are supporting that low-life sack of shit. Even if it's changed hands several times down the line. It's the principle. If I sound like it's a sore spot you probably weren't around before mobile authorization and don't know the shite that used to go down.

BUYING DUPES SUPPORTS SCAMMERS/HACKERS/LOW-LIFE SACKS OF SHIT. Period. Even if it was 4 people ago or whatever. Shouldn't have ever been bought :P They should be worth less

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, Adolf Storms said:

well not sure about people believing anymore that dupes may be deleted 😕 pretty sure that's not the case.

My self and a few other 'ol school' traders that have been around for 3 or 4 or more accounts and 8 9 10 11 years care about dupes for total other reasons. It's simply because some piece of shit scammer, sharker, hacker or other fuckbag moron literally stole/cheated/scammed/whatever the item off someone to where the item was duplicated for the original owner (or in the case of certain traders who are now top 100 the original owner found a way to cheat the system and duplicate items) ... but i digress. So what that means is some low-life has literally doubled his money or gotten free money. By buying from them or supporting them in any way you are supporting that low-life sack of shit. Even if it's changed hands several times down the line. It's the principle. If I sound like it's a sore spot you probably weren't around before mobile authorization and don't know the shite that used to go down.

BUYING DUPES SUPPORTS SCAMMERS/HACKERS/LOW-LIFE SACKS OF SHIT. Period. Even if it was 4 people ago or whatever. Shouldn't have ever been bought :P They should be worth less

You know the original and the dupe share the history, right? If you refuse to buy dupes that hurts the person who was scammed as much as the scammer. In any case, the duplications occurred so far back in the histories this really makes no sense remotely at this point.

17 minutes ago, Adolf Storms said:

This makes zero logical sense, the average duped has probably been traded more than a dozen times already 

Edit: I agree with Teeny

2 hours ago, shaunleewenjie said:

Wat

Duped high or god tiers are avoided like the plague and are duped high and god tiers are traded for even less than half the price of clean ones, such as in the case of vintage earbuds, burning tc's, bla bla bla bla bla

No, I’m talking about if people themselves actually care about the little blue tag saying “Duplicated.” I don’t think I’ve actually met someone that cares about it. People only avoid items like that because there is a stigma that it is hard to sell. That’s the reason why they will not trade for them. People don’t like dupes because other people don’t like dupes. It’s just a cycle. So what if an item is duplicated, it doesn’t effect how it looks or what it does. The only thing that changes is that stupid blue tag in it’s history. If anything, shouldn’t that be something that you would want? If you are buying an item to keep, isn’t it cooler to know that your item has a story? That it’s not just some unboxed hat. That it’s been duplicated in some fashion. I think that it is kind of cool. I don’t know, that’s just my opinion. Feel free to hate on me...

I probably made anywhere from 500-750 keys using the excuse "its duped" to get bargains on certain hats. I didnt care about it being duped whatsoever. One link on the world wide web has a tiny little warning that says something is wrong with your virtual hat that looks and acts the exact same as a "clean" one matters? lol. Of course it doesnt matter. But because the community says it does, it leaves room to devalue dupes and make a profit on them.

When you buy, you act like its a big deal so you can get a discount

When you sell, you act like its no big deal so you can get full price

ez 4f7b5917b67b90e51e149a5a3fe8725a.png

1 hour ago, R3SP4WN said:

This makes zero logical sense, the average duped has probably been traded more than a dozen times already 

Edit: I agree with Teeny

Outside in the market tell me how many duped items (of any kind) are out there? Simply said you have countless amount of dupes, that Valve shouldn't simply start removing those, as they wouldn't remove all duplicated items and only harrass those who lost their items/stats on items.

Due to this reason, I ABSOLUTELY don't care whether the item in a trade offer is duplicated or not. They will only come cheaper because of these speculations and you can profit on them as FLAIMBOT said

3 hours ago, Apeiron said:

I've always considered that there is always a chance that valve might delete duped items.

They created the duped one so I guess there is absolutely 0 chance that it happens

6 hours ago, shaunleewenjie said:

Wat

I don't know what you are talking about. Clean god tiers get traded for 50% of their price, haven't you been on backpack.tf lately :^).

it’s a stupid system really, if you can call it a system. people will often exploit this fact to gain profit. I remember meeting a guy who would require a 50% discounts from me because my unusual was duped when I was totally new to trading.

6 hours ago, shaunleewenjie said:

Wat

You've picked outliers to illustrate your point.

Burning TC is a fairly unique case--one was mass duped and for a while, anyone who owned it was banned on sight.  Heavy stigma attached, that remains to an extent even today--shady people were drawn to the duped copies, which reinforced the stigma.  I'm pretty sure some were used in gambling as well; again, increasing the stigma.

Some Vintage Earbuds similarly were mass duped, if I recall correctly.  In addition, vintage items will basically only appeal to collectors anyway, so you're already dealing with the few people who care about something that you can't see in-game.  The whole point of unusuals (which make up the vast majority of high-tier items) is that they're something you DO see in game.

Duping no longer happens, so most of the reasons people once cared (fear of having it deleted, fear of a scammer dumping the other copy onto the market for cheap, etc) are no longer relevant.

Also, as the variety of items increases (and it's always increasing), the smaller details that differentiate items become less important to buyers. 

Come to think of it, it may one day get to the point that being duped is such a rarity that some people begin to collect duped hats.

13 hours ago, 3.50 said:

You've picked outliers to illustrate your point.

Okay heres a better example

Backpack.tf suggestions doesnt allow dupe sales to be used as valid sales

• Administrators
38 minutes ago, shaunleewenjie said:

Okay heres a better example

Backpack.tf suggestions doesnt allow dupe sales to be used as valid sales

Yes we do, just not all the time. Dupe sales are fine on any hats lower than 30 keys. And dupe sales are fine even above if they're the same ballpark as other sales, if they're being used to raise the price, and sometimes if they're just the only ones on the market. As with any number of factors, it is context dependant. If they're outliers they're outliers.

You can read more here: 

Archived