Why Bots Are Somewhat Ruining backpack.tf

Baked Beans In A Can

So, ever since bot.tf happened, other traders who weren't willing to purchase bots or were too poor to get them had their accounts virtually stopped from trading here, and here's why.

This is because users are most likely to be sending trade requests bots due to their near-instantaneous response, and other trade requests would just be sadly ignored, ruining our economy.

I'm not saying people who own bots are absolute heartless and selfish pieces of defecation, it's just that there are poor and innocent traders who are getting under-cutted by bots, and barely get trade accepts because there are speedier options. 

EDIT: Am just expressing my feelings, no need to get your asses inside out. Otherwise, thanks for responding anyways!

Please buy my spec ks woodsy widowmaker mk.ii wrench for 1 key please I'll be forever grateful

• Administrators
18 minutes ago, Baked Beans In A Can said:

So, ever since bot.tf happened, other traders who weren't willing to purchase bots or were too poor to get them had their accounts virtually stopped from trading here, and here's why.

This is because users are most likely to be sending trade requests bots due to their near-instantaneous response, and other trade requests would just be sadly ignored, ruining our economy.

I'm not saying people who own bots are absolute heartless and selfish pieces of defecation, it's just that there are poor and innocent traders who are getting under-cutted by bots, and barely get trade accepts because there are speedier options. 

You say "poor and innocent traders" as if bot owners are like, guilty for owning a bot which is kinda weird.

Competing with bots as a regular item trader is not as difficult as you think it is (coming from personal experience). Sure I get that not being automated like a bot automatically puts some people as a disadvantage, but automation even existing and being this successful means there was a demand for it, and there is a demand for automation. It's just like real life; automation = higher efficiency.

Whether we have bots on backpack.tf or ban bots and move them onto another site it won't matter since there is a demand for automation and instant gratification. Theoretically, if we banned bots from backpack.tf there would probably be a website for bot owners to host their bots and sell their own items similar to backpack.tf and all the traffic from our site would probably move over to a site like that.

How do you compete with bots? Probably just use trade servers and try to keep your prices relatively competitive with them. No one is going to buy your item at a higher price than a bot because 1) it's cheaper and 2) bots are faster at giving you items. If you trade in a trade server there is still a level of instant gratification you can provide simply by trading with people in real time. Same thing applies by just checking your trade offers regularly.

I can assure you though, bots are not ruining backpack.tf like you think they are.

There are many great things about bots even if, like myself, you don't own one. Bots vastly increase the liquidity of items and are a very easy way to tell how easy an item is to sell. Equally you can easily make a bit off of bots not counting spells, parts, paints or straight up profiting off of the discrepancies between them. Equally competing bots can inflate the prices of items a bit, for example the dead head, which can easily make you a bit of money over time. The influx of bots is just a change in the market, it's not a good thing or a bad thing, it's just different. If you want to profit out of TF2 you have to adjust to the ever changing markets.

so im new at trading and i don't really know a lot but i really hate them covering all the backpack.tf item pages i cant really trade with a real person low tier trading is really hard if bots are disabled it really cripples trading late 

17 hours ago, Baked Beans In A Can said:

What you seem to be saying is that you would prefer the trading community be denied the ease of use and convenience that bots provide--an arrangement that clearly works for all parties involved--and should instead be forced to deal with traders like yourself who offer slower service at worse prices.  You also seem to be pretty angry that someone else is getting all the phat profit™, even though they're getting it as a result of providing a service, and want the entire economy to change to suit your personal wants and current trading strategy.

Pretty sure it's past your bedtime.

On 1/26/2019 at 9:27 PM, ѕιи said:

You say "poor and innocent traders" as if bot owners are like, guilty for owning a bot which is kinda weird.

You may not use ... automation software (bots) ... to modify or automate any Subscription Marketplace process.

2 hours ago, Naleksuh said:

For anyone wondering where thats written: 

image.png.1dbb9b1047778d6c09245cc12b821743.png

It refers specifically to the community market , 3D in the terms of service

image.png.969ac80d268fd8d8371d33b426ba5073.png

On 1/27/2019 at 6:01 AM, Baked Beans In A Can said:

So, ever since bot.tf happened...

I'm not really sure if you were there when bottf first launched, seeing how your steam account is about half a year old 😛 

Bots have pros and cons, for sure.  I recently came back to trading and saw everyone using bots, so I decided to get one myself.  I can definitely see how it is harder for manual traders to compete, but the bots also have weaknesses that can be legitimately exploited.

On 1/28/2019 at 6:29 AM, 3.50 said:

What you seem to be saying is that you would prefer the trading community be denied the ease of use and convenience that bots provide--an arrangement that clearly works for all parties involved--and should instead be forced to deal with traders like yourself who offer slower service at worse prices.  You also seem to be pretty angry that someone else is getting all the phat profit™, even though they're getting it as a result of providing a service, and want the entire economy to change to suit your personal wants and current trading strategy.

Pretty sure it's past your bedtime.

Never said I want bots removed, I'm just trying to drink bear semen express what I feel rn.

On 1/28/2019 at 12:06 AM, VioletDoggo said:

Lemme guess, you think keys being ~43 refined are ruining the economy too

Nah, 40-60 ref for keys are definitely okay.

Archived