$80 Item Scam

stabslive

Hello all,

My name is Stabs and tonight I was scammed. Let me explain. A little while back (a week or two ago), I made a forum post asking if people would be interested in buying my Australium Knife and Ambassador via PayPal. I got a buyer. They added me on Steam and we began talking. After a little chatting, the person then talked about trading with me. They insisted I gave them the items first and they would then pay. In the middle of the trade, they also asked for my Spec KS Sniper Rifle, offering to pay. I decided to follow through with it and gave them the items first. They seemed trustworthy as in their Steam inventory they had a few unusuals and some keys so I assumed they were a good trader. After waiting five minutes or so and not receiving any change in my PayPal balance, I messaged them, asking where the money was. They were playing Garry's Mod at the time and saying they were "dealing with sits in DarkRP." I decided to wait a few more minutes and asked again where it was. This time I got no response. After that, I waited 10 minutes and asked yet again. No response as well. When streaming, I then saw that they'd removed me and made their profile private. I proceeded to have a panic attack due to the fact that I'd just love $81.50 from being scammed. This person has had NO consequence yet and I've still not been compensated. Their profile is: https://steamcommunity.com/id/HeavyweightHoovy. The money used from the trade is for a new PC that I've been trying to get for literally years. I'm very upset about this and am just saddened that people still do this, even though they already had a good backpack. Please, any help or advice is appreciated. Thanks.

From, Stabs

Not sure whose inventory he had you looking at, but the guy you linked appears to never having any value to his backpack. Regardless, it does appear he is long gone (as well as your items) and you should probably report him for scamming you.

Just now, Mrs TS said:

Not sure whose inventory he had you looking at, but the guy you linked appears to never having any value to his backpack. Regardless, it does appear he is long gone (as well as your items) and you should probably report him for scamming you.

I did. I ask you guys to report him as well. It'd be very appreciated.

1 minute ago, Mrs TS said:

Most sites do not accept 3rd party reports since, its you who has the evidence. All we have is your word that you got scammed.

c1a8c64bbb09ccc01dfdf6413d81a6fd.png

eff41fcd4889f1023670204c5306b02a.png

Is that enough proof?

Having some unusuals and having a decent backpack doesn't make anyone trustworthy. 
If this is the user you traded with https://backpack.tf/profiles/76561197972170205 then go to their backpack.tf profile, click on the red flag on their profile and make a user report. 
The chat logs can be recovered even if they have removed or blocked you. I'll guide you through how to get them from the link posted above on the report. 

3 minutes ago, « SɱokEy » said:

Having some unusuals and having a decent backpack doesn't make anyone trustworthy. 
If this is the user you traded with https://backpack.tf/profiles/76561197972170205 then go to their backpack.tf profile, click on the red flag on their profile and make a user report. 
The chat logs can be recovered even if they have removed or blocked you. I'll guide you through how to get them from the link posted above on the report. 

Do you have Discord or anything?

1 minute ago, stabslive said:

Do you have Discord or anything?

I am not willing to speak about a report on Discord DMS. Its best to use the site. 
However here is a link to the official backpack.tf discord. - https://discordapp.com/invite/f5VS7cr 
You will need to verify your steam account with discord to get access to all the channels 

"

4 hours ago, stabslive said:

They seemed trustworthy as in their Steam inventory they had a few unusuals and some keys so I assumed they were a good trader.

On this words you can stop reading this post. Most common PayPal scam.

Now you can only report him and be careful next time.

And do not trust to anyone.

17 hours ago, stabslive said:

They insisted I gave them the items first and they would then pay. 

They seemed trustworthy as in their Steam inventory they had a few unusuals and some keys so I assumed they were a good trader.

After waiting five minutes or so and not receiving any change in my PayPal balance, I messaged them, asking where the money was.

When streaming, I then saw that they'd removed me and made their profile private.

You made a few common mistakes. Don't worry, a lot of people get scammed by people like the user who scammed you. 

Your first mistake was listening to him telling you to go first. PayPal trades are very risky, and you giving the items first without receiving payment is a good way for a scam to progress.

Second, never judge anyone based on inventory value. Trusted traders and middlemen will have a positive SteamRep rating and positive rep on backpack.tf.

Third, they would likely ignore your message and realize that their scam worked.

Lastly, that's what many scammers do after a successful scam. They will always block you in an attempt to prevent further communication or reports. They will likely change their name and profile details.

I hope this helps.

Archived