Should I trust this guy?

DiscoDonuts

Random add, has a trade ban, says he was hijacked 2 weeks ago. At first I was gonna simply ignore it but then I thought I'd look at his bp.tf profile. His bp's private on Steam but not on bp.tf, he has trust, and he is rank #212 (indicating he may actually be trading, not scamming).

Profile: https://backpack.tf/profiles/76561198264117106

What do you guys think? Ignore the friend request or accept it and see what happens?

As a rule of thumb, no one with a trade ban is up to anything good. 

You obviously can't trade with them, so you know from the start that their motives for adding you don't involve trading.

As far as that guy in particular, he's not private and has no bans.  You sure that's the same guy that added you? 

44 minutes ago, Jambles said:

Random add, has a trade ban, says he was hijacked 2 weeks ago. At first I was gonna simply ignore it but then I thought I'd look at his bp.tf profile. His bp's private on Steam but not on bp.tf, he has trust, and he is rank #212 (indicating he may actually be trading, not scamming).

What do you guys think? Ignore the friend request or accept it and see what happens?

You are without a doubt dealing with an impersonator, and not the real panda. Block and move on.

1 hour ago, Jambles said:

Like isnt it an alarm bell for you that one profile has a trade ban and the other one hasnt got any ban? Either you are dealing with Copperfield either its an impersonator

34 minutes ago, Roi said:

Like isnt it an alarm bell for you that one profile has a trade ban and the other one hasnt got any ban? Either you are dealing with Copperfield either its an impersonator

Hey, I don't know shit, that's why I ask. All I know is to copy the steam profile address and paste it into bp.tf to get the bp.tf profile. It seemed odd, yeah but I've never encountered this before.

1 minute ago, Jambles said:

Hey, I don't know shit, that's why I ask. All I know is to copy the steam profile address and paste it into bp.tf to get the bp.tf profile. It seemed odd, yeah but I've never encountered this before.

Wrong. You did not copy his profile, instead all you did is click on his "My backpack" link on the profile, leading to the real panda's backpack.tf page. I've blocked the impersonator like 7 months ago.

Next time, don't click on their "my backpack" pages, and get to them yourself. Copy their steam profile link, get their steamid64 (I get it from steamid.io, but there are plenty of other sites to get someone's id64. If you still use SIH for some reason (really, don't. They sell your data), you get their steamid on the profile page. Once you get the steamid64, go to your own profile on backpack.tf. In the address bar, replace the numbers after /profiles with the profile of the guy that added you.

Let's say, I added you. You want to know if I'm real, or I'm a bad man. You get my steamid64, which is 76561198100807953. Then you go to your own backpack.tf page (or just type backpack.tf/profiles/), and replace your own numbers with mine. Congratulations, if I were an impersonator, You've got my actual backpack.tf profile.

Now let's get that panda imposter's profile. here's the id - 76561198199844147

And here's his backpack.tf page - https://backpack.tf/profiles/76561198199844147

As you can see, it does not match the one you've given. 

A good rule of thumb is to never trust any links to backpack.tf, rep.tf, or any other trading/reputation sites on a person's Steam profile. You should always manually check instead.

Archived