Trading has more or less ruined the game for me

Vintage Spy

This is very long, but please read this and let me know if I'm the only one or not since I genuinely am not sure that I'm the only one who sees it this way:

So, here's the thing, I've played a lot of tf2, over 1000 hours in fact, and I got into trading a few years ago. Trading, in order to make profit, is literally just you sharking people. You know the whole selling an item for a scrap, selling an item for a few rec/ref higher, etc. After all, you're NEVER going to make profit by selling an item at the same price you bought it for, unless the price of the item you have goes up (like keys, for example), but most items you're always just sharking people.

The entire basis of trading is based off of exploiting people! (Again, sharking) And, so many times, SO MANY TIMES I have people trying to scam me. I add people because I genuinely do make friends over tf2, as well as I trade back and forth with a few people. The entire basis of trading is just toxic because you have to exploit one another for profit! And that's just awful, I can't do it anymore. Plus, I literally go off of steam for two-three months and I come back, and the first thing I get when I come online is someone messaging me saying that I have a pending trade ban on my account for "illegal items" and to give me their steam username to remove it *sigh*. It's not like I even have anything in my backpack anymore worth taking, because I've cashed out months ago! So it seems that tf2 is more or less a catalyst for account hijackers as well. This isn't tf2's fault, but when I constantly get people from tf2 trying to scam me out of my three leftover items or my entire account, it's really toxic.

Every time I made a trade in tf2, I was always trying my hardest to make sure I was never getting scammed/sharked/etc, and it just creates this paranoia with trading. Trading itself is just so boring and tedious and has you spending hours a day in a trade server. It's just not fun for me, trading really ruined my opinion of this game. So many times have I gotten the "You have a pending trade report ban" scam message, or just people pretending to be my friend and trying to shark and milk every single last bit of profit out of me. I had asked a "friend" of a friend during a MvM match if he was willing to trade me a certain item since I didn't have it, and it would have been more efficient to use it, and he was like "i'll give it to you for a scrap", and when I told him I asked him for it for the sole reason that it would be faster than going to scrap.tf and getting a weapon for .5 scrap (you know, an actual fair trade?) He just said "Sorry, gotta make profit somehow".

That was a FRIEND of my FRIEND. We were FRIENDS. We were PLAYING A CASUAL GAME OF MvM and the mindset of "Gotta milk everyone for .0000000005 ref profit hnnnnnng" is just so toxic, seriously, that's all most traders care about in my experience. It just really made me hate this game's community, and now I can't play it anymore since it's literally just a multiplayer game. I know not everyone is like this, but in my experience I've just had too many negative experiences to count. 
Also, I know this probably might not be the right place to put this, but nonetheless I was curious if anyone else felt this way?

Sorry for the long post, but yeah..

Seems like an odd rant, how would buying it off ur friend for a scrap be faster then a bot on scrap.tf? Also if that is the case, wouldn't u pay more for a faster service..?

Yes theres scammers, yes theres sharkers, no you don't have to spend hours in trade servers... or even play the game. Trading isn't so much about "exploiting" other people, its about knowing the market, what people like, what will rise, what will fall, what to invest it. It's pretty much stocks. 

Trading (buy low-sell high) is not sharking, thats just knowledge (what to buy,  about market, desirable items etc.) and big, big effort. Nothing is wrong with that!  :)

lol just give him a scrap if you want the weapon imagine getting mad because you want someone to do you a favor and they ask for something in return

comes to forums for trading site, complains that trading is bad. 

you're not really going to get an audience willing to take you seriously or listen to you, especially here, and especially since you've got the definition of sharking wrong.  it seems more that you should have a thing against capitalism, rather than tf2 trading specifically

It's not sharking.  Person A sells something at a discount, for whatever reason (they don't want to wait, they need pure fast, etc.).  I buy the item at a discount, and resell it at a profit (for me), but that will take more time and effort.  So the profit I make compensates for the extra effort and time it took to sell the item at a higher price.  Sounds like a completely fair transaction for everyone involved. 

6 hours ago, Gren said:

It's not sharking.  Person A sells something at a discount, for whatever reason (they don't want to wait, they need pure fast, etc.).  I buy the item at a discount, and resell it at a profit (for me), but that will take more time and effort.  So the profit I make compensates for the extra effort and time it took to sell the item at a higher price.  Sounds like a completely fair transaction for everyone involved. 

I agree with you! Its capitalism and completely legit! :) For some items you need weeks and very big effort to resell them and someone comes here calling us sharks. It's a disgrace! Not fair to call us like that. We just love trading, gaming and thats all!  ;)

On 1/12/2019 at 10:12 AM, Vintage Spy said:

That was a FRIEND of my FRIEND. We were FRIENDS.

This is probably his main source for trading/profit. Trading everyone for free cause theyre on friends-list is some kind of hippie-ideology.

but most items you're always just sharking people

You are yelling rape when someone just brushed against your butt. Ass-grabbing doesnt make you a rapist..   or maybe it does these days idk

We were PLAYING A CASUAL GAME ....  I asked him for it...

...and scrappers gonna scrap.. thats what they do.

Seems like you are more upset with how economy works + have to many idiots added you call friends.

Beside; Everyone knows bots ruined everything, its well documented 😮

Archived