How do you know if a CPU is holding back a GPU?

JayTuut

I was gonna get a 1080 for my i7-7700k which I've seen other people do and that seems fine and all g

But I found a pretty good deal for a 1080ti, but I feel like that might be too good for my CPU to even handle its full potential?

It is not overkill to pair 1080ti with 7700K, but in future when  devs start porting PS5/New Xbox titles to PC - just 4 CPU cores will be a bit slow (even with HT). Then 1080ti will still be capable but 7700 will be a bit short - so in next 1.5/2 years you should be Ok.

Since next gen consoles will have proper Zen 8 core CPU i would expect 6 core PC CPUs to be minimum for future (since PC CPUs rock a lot higher freq then console parts), regarding 1080ti i would expect for it to be able to play games in next 3-4 years without much issues...

with that cpu you should be totally fine especially if you're gaming at higher then 1080p. CPU bottle necks get minimized a lot as you get into 1440p and 4k.

No, your system will not be bottlenecked by the processor. Especially if you game at 1440p. As someone else pointed out, cpu becomes less of a factor at higher resolutions. The price of the 1080 is what would kill it for me, since I see them on sale now at rtx 2080 price. So it would have to be a compelling deal.

19 minutes ago, S T E W said:

No, your system will not be bottlenecked by the processor. Especially if you game at 1440p. As someone else pointed out, cpu becomes less of a factor at higher resolutions. The price of the 1080 is what would kill it for me, since I see them on sale now at rtx 2080 price. So it would have to be a compelling deal.

I game at 1440p and 165hz so yeah, having trouble running the witcher / siege / wildlands at a steady frame rate so thats why I wanna upgrade from the 1060, its not bad its just not good

(Siege gets on medium 60-70 fps with drops to 25-30,  witcher gets like 70 with hair works off :P, wildlands gets 90 but I have to run it low/medium)

Archived